Do employers/judges care if you take cupcake classes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I take easy classes until graduation

no one cares what classes you take
57%
they absolutely care
5%
it makes a marginal difference
29%
you should cover bar material whether or not employers care
10%

Total votes: 42

Tiago Splitter

Re: Do employers/judges care if you take cupcake classes?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am a fedclerk in a top5ish district.

I'm a former DCt/COA law clerk; both clerkships were for courts that always seem to make it onto these "lists" that get taken as canon online (i.e., the proverbial SDNY/DDC/NDCA/CDCA and 2/9/DC.) And from that perspective, I gotta ask: what exactly is a "top 5ish district"? These hierarchies seem to have been born on Greedy Clerks, TLS, the various clerkship messageboards/blogs, etc., and don't actually exist in real life. Partners like that I'm a former law clerk, sure. In terms of where I clerked, the only time anyone remotely cares is if we're working on a case in my former district/circuit ... and then, they only care about whether I can "add value" due to greater knowledge of the court's practices and preferences, not about how "prestigious" the Internets decided the court in question is.

wow okay sorry. I guess the "ish" was not sufficient. my district is far from flyover, and the vast majority of clerks in it went to HYSC. happy? call it top10. i don't know/care. i was just trying to say I come from a position of at least some knowledge on this issue.

And it seems like prestige did matter in the context of how hard the job was to land. Whether or not employers years later care about which district you clerked in has little relevance to the fact that certain clerkships are harder to obtain than others. Presumably if judges at the most competitive clerkships don't care about courses then it's not something to be terribly concerned about. This may or may not actually be the case but the anon freak out was a little weird.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:57 am

Of course, numbers-wise there are probably more non-prestigious districts than prestigious ones, so if the issue is getting a clerkship at all, what the prestigious districts do isn't necessarily the most important guide.

(In case it's not clear, I think prestige is a fairly dumb metric for district court clerkships, but then, mine was in flyover country, so I would.)

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
GOATlawman wrote:TCR is to take classes that sound like they are legit but are actually softballs

This means avoiding Animal Law or Law and Morality etc etc etc

But Advanced Securities Reg or International Arbitration which secretly give out 95% As? Hell yea

Also IME the "practical" classes usually give pretty much all As and I've never heard of anyone talk shit about them

TCR.

I took a Securities Regulation Seminar that met 3 times in the entire semester, one of which was to watch Boiler Room and another the prof. brought cookies, talked for 45 minutes then said we should just call it a day. Wrote a 45 page paper, got an A+. He told us on the first day that he would give everyone at least an A as long as we didn't completely blow deadlines and wrote a paper of requisite length and citations.

Lol, this reminds me of this seminar I took on the FCPA. The class was pretty much just bullshit, and the professor brought in beer and snacks to class numerous times to go with movies we watched. In fact, we were all drinking beer while giving our end of the semester presentations (at first it was kind of funny to watch the presenters pause to chug some beer haha). Everyone got As :lol: Most employers would probably think of that as a real class that demonstrates serious interest in the FCPA.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am a fedclerk in a top5ish district.

I'm a former DCt/COA law clerk; both clerkships were for courts that always seem to make it onto these "lists" that get taken as canon online (i.e., the proverbial SDNY/DDC/NDCA/CDCA and 2/9/DC.) And from that perspective, I gotta ask: what exactly is a "top 5ish district"? These hierarchies seem to have been born on Greedy Clerks, TLS, the various clerkship messageboards/blogs, etc., and don't actually exist in real life. Partners like that I'm a former law clerk, sure. In terms of where I clerked, the only time anyone remotely cares is if we're working on a case in my former district/circuit ... and then, they only care about whether I can "add value" due to greater knowledge of the court's practices and preferences, not about how "prestigious" the Internets decided the court in question is.

wow okay sorry. I guess the "ish" was not sufficient. my district is far from flyover, and the vast majority of clerks in it went to HYSC. happy? call it top10. i don't know/care. i was just trying to say I come from a position of at least some knowledge on this issue.

And it seems like prestige did matter in the context of how hard the job was to land. Whether or not employers years later care about which district you clerked in has little relevance to the fact that certain clerkships are harder to obtain than others. Presumably if judges at the most competitive clerkships don't care about courses then it's not something to be terribly concerned about. This may or may not actually be the case but the anon freak out was a little weird.

Thank you. I found it weird also. I am glad somebody followed my logic/the point I was going for with my comment.

So yeah I mean I haven't done a pew poll or anything, but from the chambers of which I have knowledge, the overwhelming sentiment is that trying to maximize GPA at the time you apply (by taking BS courses) trumps the need for tough classes. if you're at a point where the clerks or judges are even looking at the courses you took, you're already in very good shape.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:07 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:Thank you. I found it weird also. I am glad somebody followed my logic/the point I was going for with my comment.

So yeah I mean I haven't done a pew poll or anything, but from the chambers of which I have knowledge, the overwhelming sentiment is that trying to maximize GPA at the time you apply (by taking BS courses) trumps the need for tough classes. if you're at a point where the clerks or judges are even looking at the courses you took, you're already in very good shape.

So I'm coming from a CoA and a feeder district clerkship background, and I will say that in both settings classes were heavily scrutinized. If you didn't have substantive doctrinals and H's/A's in them, you were gonna get passed over for the dozens of other applicants who did. For the feeder clerkship, I kid you not, I got asked about a number of my undergrad classes. Bottom line is that chambers are all different, and the higher up the rungs you apply, the more likely judges will sneer at you clowning around 3L year.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:47 am

bruinfan10 wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:Thank you. I found it weird also. I am glad somebody followed my logic/the point I was going for with my comment.

So I'm coming from a CoA and a feeder district clerkship background, and I will say that in both settings classes were heavily scrutinized. If you didn't have substantive doctrinals and H's/A's in them, you were gonna get passed over for the dozens of other applicants who did. For the feeder clerkship, I kid you not, I got asked about a number of my undergrad classes. Bottom line is that chambers are all different, and the higher up the rungs you apply, the more likely judges will sneer at you clowning around 3L year.

The only person sneering was me when I was drinking tropical drinks on the Australian beaches and getting 15 transferable credits even though I was taking classes with undergrads as a 3L study abroad student.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 am

sparty99 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:

The only person sneering was me when I was drinking tropical drinks on the Australian beaches and getting 15 transferable credits even though I was taking classes with undergrads as a 3L study abroad student.

And you're not clerking, right, sparty?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:54 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:

And you're not clerking, right, sparty?

That is correct. I found a higher paying job at one of those law firms that tend to hire only people with top grades and who have taken boring classes like Securities, Bus. Org, and Tax or who were on law review. Despite not taking any of those classes or having top grades, the firm hired me. Phew...And just imagined if I would have wasted my time taking classes I wasn't interested in or avoiding a once in a lifetime opportunity so I can impress a legal employer who I have never met previously and probably spends less than 2 minutes looking at my transcript.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Nice ex post analysis. I'm glad it worked out for you and all, but I'm pretty sure luck and your URM status played a substantial role in it. Seriously, giving people advice based on your unicorn of a situation is pretty reckless.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 pm

sparty99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:And you're not clerking, right, sparty?

That is correct. I found a higher paying job at one of those law firms that tend to hire only people with top grades and who have taken boring classes like Securities, Bus. Org, and Tax or who were on law review. Despite not taking any of those classes or having top grades, the firm hired me. Phew...And just imagined if I would have wasted my time taking classes I wasn't interested in or avoiding a once in a lifetime opportunity so I can impress a legal employer who I have never met previously and probably spends less than 2 minutes looking at my transcript.

Right... I mean more, why on earth are you commenting on what judges do/don't do wrt courses?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:55 pm

hoos89 wrote:Nice ex post analysis. I'm glad it worked out for you and all, but I'm pretty sure luck and your URM status played a substantial role in it. Seriously, giving people advice based on your unicorn of a situation is pretty reckless.

....Except my "URM Status" is not listed on my resume and I applied blindly. So I guess it played NO ROLE.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:53 pm

sparty99 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Nice ex post analysis. I'm glad it worked out for you and all, but I'm pretty sure luck and your URM status played a substantial role in it. Seriously, giving people advice based on your unicorn of a situation is pretty reckless.

....Except my "URM Status" is not listed on my resume and I applied blindly. So I guess it played NO ROLE.

You'd have to be an idiot to list "URM Status" on your resume. I don't know your name, race/nationality, or other personal circumstances, but your employer might have picked it based on your name, minority association that you participated in, Google search of your name, etc., or after an interviewer saw you in-person. Only way you can say it for sure had no role whatsoever is if your name is something like "Bob Johnson," you're a Caucasian male (at least in appearance), and you have no associations whatsoever with any minority based stuff that would show up anywhere online.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:59 pm

It's not fair to sparty (or other URMs) to assume he only got hired because he's URM, so people should stop doing that. People should certainly keep in mind that individual results are individual, and that everyone's going to assume that the choices they made wrt classes etc. along the way were material in whatever outcome they had, so will probably recommend doing what they did (if the outcome was good) or not doing what they did (if the outcome was bad). It's just not very scientific.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:03 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

You'd have to be an idiot to list "URM Status" on your resume. I don't know your name, race/nationality, or other personal circumstances, but your employer might have picked it based on your name, minority association that you participated in, Google search of your name, etc., or after an interviewer saw you in-person. Only way you can say it for sure had no role whatsoever is if your name is something like "Bob Johnson," you're a Caucasian male (at least in appearance), and you have no associations whatsoever with any minority based stuff that would show up anywhere online.

Oh, please. I have english names. Secondly, my resume does not indicate any affiliation with a minority organization nor did I participate in any "minority" activity. Lastly, while I did have an in-person interview, I was only one of three candidates selected to interview. I'm sure the people who interviewed me were more interested in my two-paid summer experiences, school-year clerkships, study abroad participation, and significant previous work experience, and ability to answer interview questions than my race. But nice try on making me look as if I was the firm's "diversity" hire.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:34 pm

sparty99 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Oh, please. I have english names. Secondly, my resume does not indicate any affiliation with a minority organization nor did I participate in any "minority" activity. Lastly, while I did have an in-person interview, I was only one of three candidates selected to interview. I'm sure the people who interviewed me were more interested in my two-paid summer experiences, school-year clerkships, study abroad participation, and significant previous work experience, and ability to answer interview questions than my race. But nice try on making me look as if I was the firm's "diversity" hire.

This doesn't sound like biglaw. Are you at a V100 firm? If not, what size law firm are you at and in what practice area? Also, if it's a larger firm, there's really no way of ruling out that you were not picked over the other two interviewees because of your race/nationality. Even if that wasn't the case, I also think that there's a lot of factors you're not mentioning here. What rank school did you go to and what was your class ranks and/or grades? What semester did you do study abroad (i.e. was it your last semester, after you were already hired)? What were your other classes (i.e. were they serious doctrinal classes) in the semesters that you weren't studying abroad?

If you have an otherwise stellar resume and credentials, I don't think taking a few seminars and/or bullshit classes in law school will hurt you (everyone in law school does this). But spending an entire semester abroad taking all bullshit cupcake baking type classes is really, really bad idea, and your advice is terrible from that standpoint. You also need to be prepared to be asked about some questions when you take a class with a name like "cupcake baking."

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Oh. Trust me. It's big law. I don't get hard-ons for VAULT. Consequently, I couldn't tell you my firm's ranking. I went to a T50 and was below-median. I landed my job AFTER Australia. In other words, in the interview, they asked me about Australia. Plus, how the hell will employers know whether my classes were easy? They know nothing about my law school (as they don't presently go there) and they certainly didn't know anything about the study abroad classes and how challeging or non challenging they might have been. Plus, some schools transfer credits as if they were taken at the HOME UNIVERSITY.

If a student took Food Law over Securities that can easily be explained by the fact that they have an interest in cooking or wanted to take a unique class that they would have knowldege on anyway. A key to selling yourself is coming up with a story. "Ugh, I took sports law over tax because I like football....duh." With regards to me, there were other american law students at my school. Despite studying abroad, some are getting an LLM at NYU, others had Big Law offers, etc. You can certainly continue living the stale and formulaic life that you live and have everything you do be determined by vault rankings or trying to impress others you don't know or care about, but I certainly would not waste my time caring about what someone else thinks of my course selection. They aren't the ones waking up and going to class. They aren't taking down my notes. They aren't paying my damn tuition. I spent my final year de-stressing on the beach and doing a once-in-a lifetime opportunity. I have rarely met a lawyer who said they should have taken, "XYZ law," but I have definitely met several who have said, "I wish I would have studied abroad." That applies in both law school and undergrad.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:14 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Also, if it's a larger firm, there's really no way of ruling out that you were not picked over the other two interviewees because of your race/nationality.

Seriously, though, you need to stop doing this.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:58 pm

sparty99 wrote:Oh. Trust me. It's big law. I don't get hard-ons for VAULT. Consequently, I couldn't tell you my firm's ranking. I went to a T50 and was below-median. I landed my job AFTER Australia. In other words, in the interview, they asked me about Australia. Plus, how the hell will employers know whether my classes were easy? They know nothing about my law school (as they don't presently go there) and they certainly didn't know anything about the study abroad classes and how challeging or non challenging they might have been. Plus, some schools transfer credits as if they were taken at the HOME UNIVERSITY.

If a student took Food Law over Securities that can easily be explained by the fact that they have an interest in cooking or wanted to take a unique class that they would have knowldege on anyway. A key to selling yourself is coming up with a story. "Ugh, I took sports law over tax because I like football....duh." With regards to me, there were other american law students at my school. Despite studying abroad, some are getting an LLM at NYU, others had Big Law offers, etc. You can certainly continue living the stale and formulaic life that you live and have everything you do be determined by vault rankings or trying to impress others you don't know or care about, but I certainly would not waste my time caring about what someone else thinks of my course selection. They aren't the ones waking up and going to class. They aren't taking down my notes. They aren't paying my damn tuition. I spent my final year de-stressing on the beach and doing a once-in-a lifetime opportunity. I have rarely met a lawyer who said they should have taken, "XYZ law," but I have definitely met several who have said, "I wish I would have studied abroad." That applies in both law school and undergrad.

Still, going abroad without a job is an objectively terrible idea in a pretty significant majority of cases. It worked out in your case for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea and you really should not advise other people to do it. Your ability to perform post hoc rationalization of bad decisions astounds me.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

hoos89 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Oh. Trust me. It's big law. I don't get hard-ons for VAULT. Consequently, I couldn't tell you my firm's ranking. I went to a T50 and was below-median. I landed my job AFTER Australia. In other words, in the interview, they asked me about Australia. Plus, how the hell will employers know whether my classes were easy? They know nothing about my law school (as they don't presently go there) and they certainly didn't know anything about the study abroad classes and how challeging or non challenging they might have been. Plus, some schools transfer credits as if they were taken at the HOME UNIVERSITY.

Still, going abroad without a job is an objectively terrible idea in a pretty significant majority of cases. It worked out in your case for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea and you really should not advise other people to do it. Your ability to perform post hoc rationalization of bad decisions astounds me.

Nope. Wrong. The alternative is to stay in law school as a 3L and participate in the 3L job search process.....Now, ask yourself, how many employers come to campus to recruit 3Ls? My school had maybe 10. And I'm being pretty generous.

Not to mention, I was able to do skype interviews with 3 out of the 4 employers. Only one employer was like, no, we can only interview you in person. Considering there are almost no jobs to be had by 3L year it makes absolutely 100% sense to go abroad. I also know other people who landed jobs post-study abroad 3L. Additionally, whether you go Fall or Spring semester, you have a semester to apply to jobs.

Now, if we are talking about studying abroad Fall semester 2L. Then no. I would absolutely not do it. But if you are 3L with no job (or you have a job), then you really aren't taking much of a risk going abroad. In fact, I highly recommend it. Australia, Europe, or any country is a lot better option then spending another semester in law school, doing the same shit, and living in a weak town like South Bend, Indiana. I was in New Zealand when my classmates were taking finals.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:03 am

I think you're underestimating the missed networking opportunities. Unless you want to work in Australia (or wherever you're going), it would most likely be a mistake to go abroad without a job 3L. Obviously it's a tough position to be in, so why make it worse by adding several thousand miles between yourself and every American employer? You got extraordinarily lucky. I mean...below median at a T50 and got big law during 2nd semester 3L after studying abroad? I wouldn't be surprised if you were the only person for the last five years in the entire country who could say that. Your experience is essentially irrelevant for literally everyone else because it is so atypical.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:50 am

hoos89 wrote:I think you're underestimating the missed networking opportunities. Unless you want to work in Australia (or wherever you're going), it would most likely be a mistake to go abroad without a job 3L. Obviously it's a tough position to be in, so why make it worse by adding several thousand miles between yourself and every American employer? You got extraordinarily lucky. I mean...below median at a T50 and got big law during 2nd semester 3L after studying abroad? I wouldn't be surprised if you were the only person for the last five years in the entire country who could say that. Your experience is essentially irrelevant for literally everyone else because it is so atypical.

I think you are overestimating networking. If I had 2.5 years of networking and nothing came of that then surely I wouldn't be missing out on four months. I didn't get lucky. I hustled.

You are acting like 3L employers are abundant. Deciding to go abroad when there wasn't a job didn't make my life worse. I had nothing to lose. There were no employers hiring except mostly small firms looking for school year clerkships or the highly competitive federal jobs.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:50 am

Can we go back to making pastry jokes instead of the thread getting SPARTYed?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:Can we go back to making pastry jokes instead of the thread getting SPARTYed?

same sweet filling doe

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:Can we go back to making pastry jokes instead of the thread getting SPARTYed?

they don't make PASTRIES in AUSTRALIA. they make fucking BEEF PIES and slather them in **VEGEMITE**.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Sparty is a moron. It's a miracle he graduated law school, much less got a real job.

"Hey kids, I smoked a pack a day for 20 years, and do you see any cancer on me? Not one FUCKIN BIT! Smoke your hearts out!"

Return to “Legal Employment”