Question- Emailing a Partner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
frank617

New

Question- Emailing a Partner

Post by frank617 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:09 am

Hey everyone,

Hope everyone is getting by with finals.

I'm a 1L, and my school just sent out an email about a big law firm in our city that is accepting 1L SA applications. I went to do some research on the firm to get a cover letter together and noticed that one of the partners is an alum from my UG (it's a southern school, and we're in the NE so it's not like there are a ton of us around).

Normally I would have emailed him awhile ago had I known to set up a time to talk. I'm just wondering if now it would come across as disingenuous because applications just opened up (I know lawyers already know that any student contacting them is looking for a job, but you're still supposed to try and act like that's not your primary motive).

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot

KD35

Silver

Re: Question- Emailing a Partner

Post by KD35 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:56 am

I would go for it. The worst thing that happens is that you don't get the job because of trying to reach out, which I highly doubt would happen. Also, is your UG a smaller school? Cuz this would be more acceptable if you went to a smaller school instead of like an Alabama/LSU sized school. But I would say go for it either way.

frank617

New

Post by frank617 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:04 pm

KD35 wrote:I would go for it. The worst thing that happens is that you don't get the job because of trying to reach out, which I highly doubt would happen. Also, is your UG a smaller school? Cuz this would be more acceptable if you went to a smaller school instead of like an Alabama/LSU sized school. But I would say go for it either way.
Thanks for the response, that's what I was thinking. Yeah, smaller school (around 6,000 UG)

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:08 pm

frank617 wrote:
KD35 wrote:I would go for it. The worst thing that happens is that you don't get the job because of trying to reach out, which I highly doubt would happen. Also, is your UG a smaller school? Cuz this would be more acceptable if you went to a smaller school instead of like an Alabama/LSU sized school. But I would say go for it either way.
Thanks for the response, that's what I was thinking. Yeah, smaller school (around 6,000 UG)
My vote is then definitely go for it. But frame the email in a casual way, don't explicitly ask "hey hook me up with a spot Mr. Partner."

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:31 pm

KD35 wrote:
frank617 wrote:
My vote is then definitely go for it. But frame the email in a casual way, don't explicitly ask "hey hook me up with a spot Mr. Partner."
Wait, don't?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:48 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
KD35 wrote:
frank617 wrote:
Wait, don't?
The partner will know what's up. If the meeting goes well, then he'll try and help out without being explicitly asked. If it doesn't go well, or there is nothing he can do, you've avoided an awkward situation and might get some help in the future.

frank617

New

Post by frank617 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

In case anyone is interested in an update: I went ahead and emailed him and set up a meeting. I'm getting coffee with him after the application window for the SA closes, so I won't be able to drop his name in my CL. Hoping he might be down to put in a good word after my application is in though (I'm assuming the recruiting people won't even look at any of our 1L applications until first semester grades are out anyway).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”