Poll the audience re: DOJ or Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I go to Biglaw or DOJ as my first post-clerkship job?

DOJ Litigating Section
74%
V20 Corporate Practice Group
26%

Total votes: 23

Anonymous User

Poll the audience re: DOJ or Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi TLS friends, I'm more of a lurker looking to tap the collective wisdom around these parts. I'm clerking at a district court and currently deciding whether to go the biglaw route or join the DOJ. I've been ruminating the big questions, like location, $$$, practice area and quality of life, and I think I'm leaning toward DOJ. I didn't find a terribly current thread on this topic, and the older ones all skew government because government hiring was so tight and fickle in 09-13. So how about ITE? DOJ or Biglaw? What other things should I be considering in this decision?

BeenDidThat

Re: Poll the audience re: DOJ or Biglaw

Postby BeenDidThat » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi TLS friends, I'm more of a lurker looking to tap the collective wisdom around these parts. I'm clerking at a district court and currently deciding whether to go the biglaw route or join the DOJ. I've been ruminating the big questions, like location, $$$, practice area and quality of life, and I think I'm leaning toward DOJ. I didn't find a terribly current thread on this topic, and the older ones all skew government because government hiring was so tight and fickle in 09-13. So how about ITE? DOJ or Biglaw? What other things should I be considering in this decision?

The specific firm and your preference on location will matter. Furthermore, the kind of practice area you want matters. This is a pretty specific inquiry, and it's apples and oranges. Hard to judge on such vague facts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:57 pm

It seems like this is an extremely basic question of whether you want to be a transactional lawyer or a litigator. We can't answer that for you.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:31 pm

Many people in biglaw would love to leave biglaw for the DOJ job you're talking about. That said, if you went straight to the DOJ, you'd miss out on the benefits of a few years of biglaw (namely, money).

I'd say if your aspiration is law firm partner, do biglaw and profit (or at least try to). If not, snap up the DOJ job now if you have the opportunity.

Return to “Legal Employment”