Bar C&F- Overseas volunteer work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar C&F- Overseas volunteer work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Does C&F look into things like overseas volunteer work, e.g. teaching on an informal/volunteer basis? I taught for a month at a foreign school and had a negative experience with the administration. I wasn't happy and communication essentially dissolved, so I left. Hardly anyone there can speak coherent English and if contacted would probably either not respond or give bad feedback. I'm still a ways off from applying for the Bar but will this be an issue when I do, or when I apply to law firms? Thanks in advance!

dudders

Re: Bar C&F- Overseas volunteer work

Postby dudders » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:30 pm

My state only asked about paid employment for the last 10 years, and ANY legal work (paid, unpaid, lawyer, intern, etc.) ... So for my state you wouldn't have had to mention this at all employment wise.

I did, however, have to list every place I've lived for the last 10 years which presumably would've included this, but as long as I listed a reference who could verify I lived there, they didn't ask anything about why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:18 pm

dudders wrote:My state only asked about paid employment for the last 10 years, and ANY legal work (paid, unpaid, lawyer, intern, etc.) ... So for my state you wouldn't have had to mention this at all employment wise.

I did, however, have to list every place I've lived for the last 10 years which presumably would've included this, but as long as I listed a reference who could verify I lived there, they didn't ask anything about why.

I did list it on my law school application resume and my state does seem to ask for a full history including volunteer work, unfortunately.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:34 pm

I listed foreign employment on my CA application (it was an internship at a legal place there so I had to) and they sent them the employer form for verification. My mom was convinced they would never send it out there, but they did.

I know you said things ended badly but I would try to give them a heads up that they may get something and to please send it back. The form my employer got asked whether they knew if I had been fired for cause or asked to resign and whther my services were satisfactory.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Pleasye wrote:I listed foreign employment on my CA application (it was an internship at a legal place there so I had to) and they sent them the employer form for verification. My mom was convinced they would never send it out there, but they did.

I know you said things ended badly but I would try to give them a heads up that they may get something and to please send it back. The form my employer got asked whether they knew if I had been fired for cause or asked to resign and whther my services were satisfactory.

Is it possible they gave your foreign internship more scrutiny because it was law-related? From what I understand some bar applications require affidavits for any law-related employment.

There is a very low probability that they would say my services were satisfactory. I was not fired or asked to leave, however.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pleasye wrote:I listed foreign employment on my CA application (it was an internship at a legal place there so I had to) and they sent them the employer form for verification. My mom was convinced they would never send it out there, but they did.

Is it possible they gave your foreign internship more scrutiny because it was law-related? From what I understand some bar applications require affidavits for any law-related employment.

There is a very low probability that they would say my services were satisfactory. I was not fired or asked to leave, however.

Definitely possible. The reason I listed it was that the app asked for any employment (volunteer or paid) that was law-related, so I think they treated them as a legit employer (it was an unpaid/informal internship i got through family).

Do you know if they have a policy against references? Probably unlikely because they are foreign, but the form first asks for verification of employment and there is a box that says to check it if their policy is not to answer any other questions.

Have you read your states app carefully? It may not require you to include it - IIRC mine only asked for jobs I was at for longer than 6 months if they weren't law-related

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Pleasye wrote:Do you know if they have a policy against references? Probably unlikely because they are foreign, but the form first asks for verification of employment and there is a box that says to check it if their policy is not to answer any other questions.

I highly doubt it. It was a tiny, backwoods kind of school in a non-Western country. Basically I got a little too adventurous for my own good...

Return to “Legal Employment”