2L Summer Midlaw Clerk Wage

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Firm

Firm A
No votes
Firm B
91%
WAIT IT OUT
9%

Total votes: 11

Anonymous User

2L Summer Midlaw Clerk Wage

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:16 pm

Median at ND / WASHU / UIUC. Struck out, or never had a chance, at biglaw in Chicago and STL. I have two offers from firms of about 40 attorneys each. I have to let both of them know on Friday. I've been working at a small firm for $12 to $15 since August and will work there until starting one of these new jobs in May.

Firm A: Biggest firm in town of my law school. Pays $15 an hour in a market of about 150,000, has five clerks at all times throughout school year and summer. I have housing here, but it looks like I'd only be making about $600 a week, and long-term prospects don't seem as good as Firm B. Seems to be more of a labor force IMO, although apparently people do get offers sometimes.

Firm B: An hour from my hometown, no law school in the immediate area. Biggest firm in town and pays $25 an hour in a market of about 150,000 people and for parking. Only hires 1 or 2 summer associates/clerks each summer, and the interview discussed long term prospects, particularly since this firm is looking to hire people willing to go to small satellite office in my hometown after graduation. Long term prospects seem much better, but not a town I would say I'm looking to spending the summer in. I don't think I'd mind commuting each day, I can always crash with some friends I have there if I have to. Not looking to pay for additional housing if I can help it, though it would be dirt cheap.

Firm B is particularly attractive in long term as it has a much better possibility of long term employment and being able to go to hometown after graduation. Firm A is better in terms of convenience.

I guess I'm just wondering if these wages seem fair and if I should be grateful for them, what the typical median students from these schools get. I'm also hoping someone from ND / WASHU / UIUC can speak as to chances at this point of getting a similar position in Chicago or STL for next summer; all of my mass mails have resulted in nothing so far. I'd be willing to turn these down if there is still a decent possibility of landing something in Chi or STL (no ties to either though).

THANK YOU

Icculus

Re: 2L Summer Midlaw Clerk Wage

Postby Icculus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median at ND / WASHU / UIUC. Struck out, or never had a chance, at biglaw in Chicago and STL. I have two offers from firms of about 40 attorneys each. I have to let both of them know on Friday. I've been working at a small firm for $12 to $15 since August and will work there until starting one of these new jobs in May.

Firm A: Biggest firm in town of my law school. Pays $15 an hour in a market of about 150,000, has five clerks at all times throughout school year and summer. I have housing here, but it looks like I'd only be making about $600 a week, and long-term prospects don't seem as good as Firm B. Seems to be more of a labor force IMO, although apparently people do get offers sometimes.

Firm B: An hour from my hometown, no law school in the immediate area. Biggest firm in town and pays $25 an hour in a market of about 150,000 people and for parking. Only hires 1 or 2 summer associates/clerks each summer, and the interview discussed long term prospects, particularly since this firm is looking to hire people willing to go to small satellite office in my hometown after graduation. Long term prospects seem much better, but not a town I would say I'm looking to spending the summer in. I don't think I'd mind commuting each day, I can always crash with some friends I have there if I have to. Not looking to pay for additional housing if I can help it, though it would be dirt cheap.

Firm B is particularly attractive in long term as it has a much better possibility of long term employment and being able to go to hometown after graduation. Firm A is better in terms of convenience.

I guess I'm just wondering if these wages seem fair and if I should be grateful for them, what the typical median students from these schools get. I'm also hoping someone from ND / WASHU / UIUC can speak as to chances at this point of getting a similar position in Chicago or STL for next summer; all of my mass mails have resulted in nothing so far. I'd be willing to turn these down if there is still a decent possibility of landing something in Chi or STL (no ties to either though).

THANK YOU

Take the one with better career prospects though neither sounds like a lock.

transferror

Postby transferror » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Firm B for sure. Better chance at full-time offer should be the end of the discussion, but better pay doesn't hurt either. As for pay, once you get outside of pro-rated associate salary and into hourly wage (i.e., SA vs. clerk), $15-20/hour is pretty standard. $25 is excellent, especially since it sounds like your in a lower CoL area.

filibuster

Postby filibuster » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:33 pm

OP: PM me the names of the firms

Return to “Legal Employment”