1L SA - Diversity?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA - Diversity?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm LGBT + nontrad, which I guess is statistically diverse ... but I'm also white. Should I bother applying for 1L diversity SA positions? Or is it pointless? Lower T14 if it matters.

ManoftheHour

Re: 1L SA - Diversity?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm LGBT + nontrad, which I guess is statistically diverse ... but I'm also white. Should I bother applying for 1L diversity SA positions? Or is it pointless? Lower T14 if it matters.

I would say do it. Worse they can say is no. I know a straight while male that got a 1LSA at my school (non-T14) last year. Granted, everyone else was a minority (half of them were Asian though).
ETA: He did grow up poor though.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm LGBT + nontrad, which I guess is statistically diverse ... but I'm also white. Should I bother applying for 1L diversity SA positions? Or is it pointless? Lower T14 if it matters.

One of my mentors copped a diversity SA in his regional market as a 1L and is a LGBT t-14 white dude.
I'd send some apps, you never know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:06 am

(OP)

Thanks. I've talked w/a few ppl face to face, and most agree w/you two. "It certainly can't hurt to apply" is the usual response. One person did tell me, though, that applying for a diversity position as a white guy might rub some people the wrong way and hurt you if you apply to the same firms later down the road.

I think it's probably worth it to apply anyway ...

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:(OP)

Thanks. I've talked w/a few ppl face to face, and most agree w/you two. "It certainly can't hurt to apply" is the usual response. One person did tell me, though, that applying for a diversity position as a white guy might rub some people the wrong way and hurt you if you apply to the same firms later down the road.

I think it's probably worth it to apply anyway ...

My school encourages non-minorities to apply. They said diversity can mean many different things other than skin color/lbgt. Can be life experiences, socioeconomic status, etc.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:08 am

While I don't know of any white LGBT students who landed diversity SA's last summer, I definitely think its fair grounds to apply.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:32 am

I know of some white male lgbt students who got SAs

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:44 am

I'm a white LGBT male applying as well, and I've been specifically encouraged by a couple firm contacts to do so.

And I mean most diversity positions that I've seen explicitly include LGBT in their applications. I don't expect to get anything at all but I figure it's worth trying.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:50 am

Absolutely apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:40 am

I'm really genuinely curious what happens in these "diversity" interviews if you walk in and you're a white dude

Like, do they just say, "So..... are you gay?"

Or is it just tacitly assumed. Brb then someone sees you with a chick 4 years later and they're like wtf bro??? (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_%28Seinfeld%29)

Oops just realized anon didn't mean to, The GOAT here feel free to out me
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:02 am

sinfiery wrote:I know of some white male lgbt students who got SAs

I know a couple as well at my T14.

OP, definitely apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:41 am

(OP)

Thanks for the replies, I will send a few out - you never know.

Although I do wonder about the anon question above, LOL. I figure tacitly assumed.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:35 am

Every diversity application I've seen requires a personal statement, so that's how they'll know.

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:23 am

Not saying OP should not apply (sounds like he or she probably should), but is there reason to believe that LGBT students are actually underrepresented in law school/biglaw relative to their position in the general population?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:25 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Not saying OP should not apply (sounds like he or she probably should), but is there reason to believe that LGBT students are actually underrepresented in law school/biglaw relative to their position in the general population?

"Diversity" in law school/firms =/= URM in admissions. AmLaw, ABA ect keep diversity scorecards which comprehend a much broader range of minorities than admissions criteria.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm really genuinely curious what happens in these "diversity" interviews if you walk in and you're a white dude

Like, do they just say, "So..... are you gay?"

Or is it just tacitly assumed. Brb then someone sees you with a chick 4 years later and they're like wtf bro??? (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_%28Seinfeld%29)

Oops just realized anon didn't mean to, The GOAT here feel free to out me

Many apps ask for diversity statements, as scottidsntknow pointed out. You might also get asked:

"So as you probably know, this is a diversity-oriented position. Can you tell me a few ways you might contribute to diversity in the profession?"

"Why is diversity important?"

"So can you tell me about your involvement with LGBT Rights Club?"

(anon bc these are close to actual questions)

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:04 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:Not saying OP should not apply (sounds like he or she probably should), but is there reason to believe that LGBT students are actually underrepresented in law school/biglaw relative to their position in the general population?

"Diversity" in law school/firms =/= URM in admissions. AmLaw, ABA ect keep diversity scorecards which comprehend a much broader range of minorities than admissions criteria.

That does not address my question. I was not asking what firm/school diversity policies are. I'm asking about demographics.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Openly LGBT individuals are less represented in biglaw than in the general public, yes.

ETA: as per 2012 NALP report, 1.44% of partners and 2.43% of associates were openly LGBT. This compared to 3.8% of American adults identifying as LGBT as per a Williams Institute study conducted in 2011.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:23 pm

Is there even one T in all of big law? If not, the phrase LGBT seems slightly misleading.

Return to “Legal Employment”