Military Reserve Commitment While at Firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Military Reserve Commitment While at Firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:32 am

Hi all, curious to hear whether firms are willing to accommodate associates with Reserve Direct Commissioned Officer commitments or interested in pursuing the DCO route.

Thoughts?

seizmaar

Silver

Re: Military Reserve Commitment While at Firm?

Post by seizmaar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:04 am

there was at least one associate at my V20 who had been doing the reserve thing his whole time at the firm and it seemed to work. idk what it does to pship chances, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:12 pm

One of my interviewers at a V50 this cycle was an army reservist and had just got back from 9 months in Afghanistan, didn't sound like it was a problem.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:17 pm

I believe federal law protects reservists from losing their jobs if they get deployed. It's similar to jury duty protections - employers cannot fire people if they get roped into jury duty.

This article discusses some general details, but the law offers protections. Of course, there is the "law," and what the employer actually thinks - but they generally cannot refuse to let you come back to the same position you left.

http://gbr.pepperdine.edu/2010/08/the-e ... -military/

catinthewall

Bronze

Post by catinthewall » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:06 pm

I'm a reservist. Private employers are subject to USERRA. You will be protected.

Ironically, I'm clerking on a federal court, and I am not protected because the Judiciary is not subject to USERRA. The court's have their own rules about it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”