BigLaw business casual suggestions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Briney Spring Gun

New

BigLaw business casual suggestions

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:02 pm

The firm I'll be summering at next year is "business casual." I interviewed mostly with female attorneys during the interview process, so I didn't really get a feel for what the male attorneys wear around the office. Seemed like business casual = brooks brothers, though. Looking to buy some clothes over Xmas break, anyone care to weigh in?

bk1

Diamond

Re: BigLaw business casual suggestions

Post by bk1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Slacks and a collared shirt.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Basic BizCaz Wardrobe - for a full time professional. Pair down for your needs.

3x Well Fitted White Dress Shirts
2X Well Fitted Blue Dress shirts - For both of these, cop BB extra slim fit on their regular sales.

1-2 Pairs of charcoal, navy and tan dress slacks, well fitted & quarter break length.

Pair of cordovan/burgundy cap toe oxfords, and pair of black cap toe oxfords.

A collection of conservative ties - J Press and BB are great for these.

A classic navy sport coat.

A classic belt to match both pairs of shoes, and a watch to match both pairs of shoes.

You're set for anything.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:12 pm

I've only seen partners in polos. I think button-ups are safe for associate business casual.

TTTooKewl

New

Post by TTTooKewl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:16 pm

I think "business casual" varies significantly depending on location. (as in, SV probably much different expectations than NYC or DC)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:22 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Basic BizCaz Wardrobe - for a full time professional. Pair down for your needs.

2X Well Fitted Blue Dress shirts - For both of these, cop BB extra slim fit on their regular sales.

1-2 Pairs of charcoal, navy and tan dress slacks, well fitted & quarter break length.

A classic belt to match both pairs of shoes, and a watch to match both pairs of shoes.

You're set for anything.
I would recommend not wearing white shirts. I think it is strange to wear white shirts outside of the suit-and-tie context. Same goes for solid light blue shirts. Instead, just get shirts in checks and stripes. It doesn't really matter what color.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:40 pm

TTTooKewl wrote:I think "business casual" varies significantly depending on location. (as in, SV probably much different expectations than NYC or DC)
Credited. Where is OP's office?

Briney Spring Gun

New

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
TTTooKewl wrote:I think "business casual" varies significantly depending on location. (as in, SV probably much different expectations than NYC or DC)

NYC.

Carter1901

Bronze

Post by Carter1901 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:55 pm

parkslope wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Basic BizCaz Wardrobe - for a full time professional. Pair down for your needs.

You're set for anything.
I would recommend not wearing white shirts. I think it is strange to wear white shirts outside of the suit-and-tie context. Same goes for solid light blue shirts. Instead, just get shirts in checks and stripes. It doesn't really matter what color.
What? Can't go wrong with solid white/light blue with slacks and a blazer. Flawschool nailed it. Though checkered/striped shirts are fine too for business casual.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:24 pm

You could have designs on the dress shirts, but nothing outlandish.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Briney Spring Gun wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:

NYC.
NYC is generally more formal, so adding a blazer with no tie will allow you to fit in better as well as generate more wardrobe variety.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:58 pm

I'd e-mail the recruiting coordinator. People hinted at it upthread, but I've been in business casual that means "we wear suits and just say biz cas to fit in" and business casual where you'd get looked at funny for ever wearing a tie or sport coat.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:59 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:You could have designs on the dress shirts, but nothing outlandish.
I don't think anything outside of a simple gingham or muted stripes would be traditional business casual, and could very quickly look very poor.

Don't look at the suits that are currently making the rounds on talks shows, TV, etc. They're not classic, not conservative, and in my opinion not great.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Unfortunately it varies. Somes places this means suit no tie. OR suit but you can hang your jacket up. LOL at those firms.

DC gets to rock slacks and collared shirt. And you can pull off polos and patterned shirts no problem. Jeans on friday.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:48 am

Carter1901 wrote:
parkslope wrote:

You're set for anything.
What? Can't go wrong with solid white/light blue with slacks and a blazer. Flawschool nailed it. Though checkered/striped shirts are fine too for business casual.
To me, a white shirt looks like you took off part of your suit. But I also don't like wearing a tie sans jacket, which to me smacks of used car salesman/Al Golden (pick your poison).

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:51 am

FWIW I agree that a white shirt looks a little odd without a jacket and tie. It's not awful but it's a little too formal. IMO solid blue is okay though. A conservative pattern (striped or checked) is probably best.

I don't know that any firm would claim to be business casual but require suits every day. That doesn't make any sense. The variation is more like, you can wear khakis and polos (not often if ever the case in NYC) or you can wear dark slacks and a dress shirt. It's probably safe to assume the latter.

Either way you'll still need a couple suits.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:54 am

Brooks Brothers has plenty of subdued pattern dress shirts that are appropriate for business casual if you to skip the white shirt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Carter1901

Bronze

Post by Carter1901 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:45 pm

parkslope wrote:
Carter1901 wrote:
parkslope wrote:

You're set for anything.
To me, a white shirt looks like you took off part of your suit. But I also don't like wearing a tie sans jacket, which to me smacks of used car salesman/Al Golden (pick your poison).
Fair point, well said.

Briney Spring Gun

New

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Great, thanks for all of the input guys!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Ew brooks brothers. Unless you're a 40+ olds steer clear

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:34 pm

My place is business casual, and I was planning to load up on JCrew Factory Washed shirts and wear them under a navy/charcoal/gray suit with no tie. This thread is making me think that's going to be too colorful. Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Carter1901

Bronze

Post by Carter1901 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:00 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Ew brooks brothers. Unless you're a 40+ olds steer clear
Their extra-slim fit non-irons are solid (i.e., not functional parachutes like their "traditional" fit).

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Carter1901 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Ew brooks brothers. Unless you're a 40+ olds steer clear
Their extra-slim fit non-irons are solid (i.e., not functional parachutes like their "traditional" fit).
Yeah. The Extra slim fit shirts are excellent, Just make sure to try them on.

Their 1818 Line suits fit very well, although they are traditional. Suit Supply may be better for a bit less $$$ and a more modern cut.

The pants/slacks are hit and miss, but depending on your body type you can find something. I've had good luck with Milano and Fitzgerald cuts.

Also, lets not excuse 40+ year olds for dressing poorly, haha.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Be careful with the extra-slim fit if you don't have a naturally lean, lanky frame. I know slim fit is all the rage right now, but you can easily take it too far. There is a happy medium between billowy tarp and lycra bodysuit. I've seen many guys look like overstuffed sausages in their dress shirts. I'm not talking about fatties, either. I'm 5'11 and 170 lbs and look ridiculous in most extra-slim shirts. Basically anyone not built like a distance runner should go for slim over extra slim IMHO. At least try both on and see which looks better on your frame.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm 6' and 205 (some of it's actually muscle, too!) and the BB extra slim fit is perfect for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”