I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:58 pm

How can I improve my writing? Are there any credited courses or classes I can take. I'm already starting my second year at my firm. So I'm looking of CLE's or other programs designed for practitioners. My bad for not leading this this.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6765
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How can I improve my writing? Are there any credited courses or classes I can take.

nvm
Last edited by Kratos on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How can I improve my writing? Are there any credited courses or classes I can take.

Take a clinic. Or get an externship where you get to do briefs and such. Or do trial advocacy or advanced legal writing. Hard to say without knowing what school you're at and what course offerings you have


I should have said I'm already starting my second year at my firm. So I'm looking of CLE's or other programs designed for practitioners. My bad for not leading this this.

DellE6500
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:50 am

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby DellE6500 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:35 pm

What do you mean by shitty writer? Are you having a hard time making your work sound artistic or otherwise polished? Do you struggle to actually structure an argument?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273270
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:37 pm

DellE6500 wrote:What do you mean by shitty writer? Are you having a hard time making your work sound artistic or otherwise polished? Do you struggle to actually structure an argument?


I'm good at analysis but I struggle to make it polished and I routinely have typos and grammar errors. But I think I could do better at making my argument.

User avatar
Avian
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby Avian » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DellE6500 wrote:What do you mean by shitty writer? Are you having a hard time making your work sound artistic or otherwise polished? Do you struggle to actually structure an argument?


I'm good at analysis but I struggle to make it polished and I routinely have typos and grammar errors. But I think I could do better at making my argument.


If your main problem is editing, there are a number of strategies to help catch typos. First if you know that you are making the same type of error repeatedly it could help to give the document a pass just looking for those specific errors. Some people think printing out and editing a hard copy is helpful. Consider making checklists of common errors. This assumes that you're just failing to catch errors, if the problem is that you actually don't know the proper rules of grammar then there are many books available to help learn these rules. Likewise, if you are having problems with your writing style, you could try reading The Elements of Style by Strunk & White.

catinthewall
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:50 am

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby catinthewall » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Before you turn something in, print it out and read it out loud. You don't realize how many mistakes you've missed until you've seen it on paper and are reading it out loud. I spent some time as a speechwriter for a previous SecDef. We always did this before sending a draft up to him.

thsmthcrmnl
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:05 pm

Bryan Garner

TTTooKewl
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby TTTooKewl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:29 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:Bryan Garner


Seconded.

http://www.amazon.com/Garner-Language-W ... nd+writing

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14413
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 pm

I'll check out garder thanks.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby fats provolone » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 am

Desert Fox wrote:I'll check out garder thanks.

qfp

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14413
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:32 am

fats provolone wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'll check out garder thanks.

qfp


this thread was always clear df thread

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby fats provolone » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
fats provolone wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'll check out garder thanks.

qfp


this thread was always clear df thread

stop trying to improve yourself and make a thread chronicling the life of stubby slave

JusticeJackson
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby JusticeJackson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:00 am

.
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby SemperLegal » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:32 am

catinthewall wrote:Before you turn something in, print it out and read it out loud. You don't realize how many mistakes you've missed until you've seen it on paper and are reading it out loud. I spent some time as a speechwriter for a previous SecDef. We always did this before sending a draft up to him.



The credibility of this response depends greatly on your years of tenure. Listening to one of those guys me pine for a nice even of watching epoxy dry.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: I'm a shitty writer, but I'm supposed to be a litigator

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:46 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
catinthewall wrote:Before you turn something in, print it out and read it out loud. You don't realize how many mistakes you've missed until you've seen it on paper and are reading it out loud. I spent some time as a speechwriter for a previous SecDef. We always did this before sending a draft up to him.



The credibility of this response depends greatly on your years of tenure. Listening to one of those guys me pine for a nice even of watching epoxy dry.

But it's not like anyone reads legal briefs for entertainment.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.