2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Bonuses will be _____ from last year

Up
61%
Unchanged
33%
Down
6%

Total votes: 102

fats provolone

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby fats provolone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:36 am

don't schools charge a fucking fortune for interview slots?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:12 pm

i thought so too, so google:

UCLA is $600 + $179 per room per day. http://law.ucla.edu/~/media/Assets/Care ... _2014.ashx

USC is $775 per room per day, http://weblaw.usc.edu/assets/docs/caree ... Invite.pdf

uva looks to be $800 for the first room, plus $500 for subsequent rooms. http://www.law.virginia.edu/lawweb/laww ... /Employers

stanford is $600 per room per day, https://www.law.stanford.edu/careers/em ... l-oci#fees

harvard is tbd, http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... index.html

none of these mention the hospitality suites, which i think are supposed to be expensive. heard multiple recruiters bitching about their ROI when they found out they didn't get the top tier hospitality suite room in my T11.33333333. this may be unique to the lawskools that use their own facilities for interviews rather than a hotel or whatever

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Yeah I have always been under the impression that it is extremely expensive to attend OCIs. Keep in mind too that these firms all do these 1L cocktail hours as a marketing thing already. If you can roll the screening process into it, it's a cost savings.

Plus hey, it probably keeps the bar tabs down when students think they're interviewing for a job instead of just drinking on some firm's dime.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Plus hey, it probably keeps the bar tabs down when students think they're interviewing for a job instead of just drinking on some firm's dime.

Cost-savings or not, a cocktail hour reveals the true value of OCI: an almost useless process that, except for rooting out the most socially awkward and most socially adept, reveals nothing about a candidate that you couldn't already glean from a resume and transcript.

I think Greenberg Traurig would do similar cocktail hours, but at their offices.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:54 pm

but aren't we all completely fungible and the only distinguishing factor is social skills?

mirage1287

Postby mirage1287 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 pm

jbagelboy wrote:wow.

this forum used to be kinda chill. now it's truly coming into its inner striver menace. the 1L exam minutiae freak-outs, the rat out the cheater thread, and now this kind of shit.. not as fun these days.

Lawyers, like law students, are not "chill" people lol. Most of this thread is a good example of what you'll see in everyday practice - constant d***-waving and argument, just for the sake of argument, over things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:04 pm

pls describe what matters

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:42 pm

zweitbester wrote:

Cost-savings or not, a cocktail hour reveals the true value of OCI: an almost useless process that, except for rooting out the most socially awkward and most socially adept, reveals nothing about a candidate that you couldn't already glean from a resume and transcript.

I think Greenberg Traurig would do similar cocktail hours, but at their offices.

One firm (East Coast office) just had the local office do a resume drop at my t14 and then gave everyone who passed GPA muster and made eye contact a CB (informally 90% CB rate) with a catered, in-house cocktail party. I think that ended up saving them money because they didn't have to fly in Partners/Associates/HR. Especially considering that most of us had 2-3 CBs in the city, so flights and hotel rooms were split between firms.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:45 pm

fats provolone wrote:but aren't we all completely fungible and the only distinguishing factor is social skills?

i question a process that uses sociopaths to hire non-socially retarded people. you think that V5 partner on this third wife with 6 child-support obligations that ruin his ability to purchase yet a third house and sustain a coke habit is the best judge of character?

KM2016

Postby KM2016 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:46 pm

zweitbester wrote:
fats provolone wrote:but aren't we all completely fungible and the only distinguishing factor is social skills?

i question a process that uses sociopaths to hire non-socially retarded people. you think that V5 partner on this third wife with 6 child-support obligations that ruin his ability to purchase yet a third house and sustain a coke habit is the best judge of character?

This is just too accurate. Lolz.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:02 pm

zweitbester wrote:

just to be clear by "social skills" i mean the ability to hide your sociopathy when necessary. so in that regard i think oci is perfect

WhirledWorld

Postby WhirledWorld » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:07 pm

fats provolone wrote:pls describe what matters

Sushi from Seamless and summer lunch budgets,
Leaving at 5:00 or 5:30 'cause fudge it,
Models and bottles and all of that bling --
These are a few of my favorite things.

Billing while watching Netflix while you're waiting,
Dumping off work on assistants who're hating,
Payday and bonus checks in the same week --

401k and your SSI capping,
Closing your office door to do some napping,
Turning your blackberry off -- no more pings --

When the job bites,
When the phone rings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
and then I don't feel like killing myself as much.

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:1900 hours is hardly coasting. The difference between 1900 and 2200 is never having vacation.

I billed 2350 this year and took 4 weeks off.

FSK

Postby FSK » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 pm

zweitbester wrote:

You're the best poster on this board because of comments like this.

911 crisis actor

Postby 911 crisis actor » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:27 pm

existenz wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:1900 hours is hardly coasting. The difference between 1900 and 2200 is never having vacation.

(Works for Kotex)

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:48 pm

existenz wrote:

(guy who bills 16 hours per day)

Seriously, though, this is admirable. I don't know how people like you can work that many hours in a day and still put together coherent work product. More power to you.

Either you're a superhero mentally/physically or you are padding like a madman.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
existenz wrote:

Seriously, though, this is admirable. I don't know how people like you can work that many hours in a day and still put together coherent work product. More power to you.

Thats 10 hrs a week day, not 16

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
existenz wrote:

Thats 10 hrs a week day, not 16

My weeks are usually like 2-3 7-hour days followed by a really shitty 13-hour day or something like that. But yeah, you're right. I was exaggerating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:49 pm

I posted this in Boutique Firm thread and then realized maybe it belonged here. Anyone have any info?

"Does anyone have any info whether Williams & Connolly will move its base salaries up now that its compensation falls well below the other firms' "base + bonus"? They may still be competitive for 1st and second years, but mid levels seem to be lagging now. If someone is going to sign on, it would bne nice to know what the total package will be.

Or whether clerkship signing bonuses at W&C will rise for the same reason? For example Kellogg is over 150 now for top COA clerks and WC is still below 100.

Bueller? Anyone?"

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I posted this in Boutique Firm thread and then realized maybe it belonged here. Anyone have any info?

"Does anyone have any info whether Williams & Connolly will move its base salaries up now that its compensation falls well below the other firms' "base + bonus"? They may still be competitive for 1st and second years, but mid levels seem to be lagging now. If someone is going to sign on, it would bne nice to know what the total package will be.

Or whether clerkship signing bonuses at W&C will rise for the same reason? For example Kellogg is over 150 now for top COA clerks and WC is still below 100.

Bueller? Anyone?"

A member of the W&C compensation committee chimed in earlier in the thread to confirm that base salaries would be raised. Grain of salt given that this is an internet message board, but it seems unlikely that they'd choose to lag the market in compensation.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:45 pm

:lol: :lol:

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:00 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
zweitbester wrote:

One firm (East Coast office) just had the local office do a resume drop at my t14 and then gave everyone who passed GPA muster and made eye contact a CB (informally 90% CB rate) with a catered, in-house cocktail party. I think that ended up saving them money because they didn't have to fly in Partners/Associates/HR. Especially considering that most of us had 2-3 CBs in the city, so flights and hotel rooms were split between firms.

Sounds SullCrom-y.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:12 pm

two chicks; same time

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:45 pm

two chicks; same time (0.1)