2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Bonuses will be _____ from last year

Up
62
61%
Unchanged
34
33%
Down
6
6%
 
Total votes: 102

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:54 pm

.
Last edited by ExBiglawAssociate on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Andddd look at the ATL post updates. As usual, I was right.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
zweitbester wrote:Bottom line is that this is a firm that used to use the Wall Street bonuses as a floor and go as high as 3x to 4x for top of class associates. It's a shame that 2x is now the ceiling.

Still objectively great numbers. But PPP is way higher now. K&E should do better. I'm sure juniors are happy, but 6th years and NSPs are still making less than they did when they started in many cases (from a pure bonus perspective, not base salary obviously).


To be fair, it would be kind of retarded to be giving out 400k bonuses to senior associates. That's probably more than the actual salaries of some non-equity partners.


Nope, it's how it works and it makes sense if you know K&E. You don't compensate NSPs who definitely aren't getting shares more than senior associates who are definitely going to get shares after they become NSPs.

It's pretty well known whether you even have a shot at shares before you make NSP. Most NSPs don't have a chance in hell. Just taking up space until their inevitable departure.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Riffing off of the car comparison from yesterday’s Sidley post, one K&E tipster said, “If we’re Audi, then we’re a fleet of R8s.”


oh god make it stop

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:02 pm

fats provolone wrote:
Riffing off of the car comparison from yesterday’s Sidley post, one K&E tipster said, “If we’re Audi, then we’re a fleet of R8s.”


oh god make it stop

User avatar
mmelittlechicken
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby mmelittlechicken » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:06 pm

that analogy actually made me cringe

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14445
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:07 pm

zweitbester wrote:Bottom line is that this is a firm that used to use the Wall Street bonuses as a floor and go as high as 3x to 4x for top of class associates. It's a shame that 2x is now the ceiling.

Still objectively great numbers. But PPP is way higher now. K&E should do better. I'm sure juniors are happy, but 6th years and NSPs are still making less than they did when they started in many cases (from a pure bonus perspective, not base salary obviously).


It's really just juniors who are getting squeezed. Probably because we are less profitable in general since the crash and we have less leverage.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14445
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Image

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:02 pm

$3750?

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:07 pm

that's shopped right?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:09 pm

so if I'm reading that right, an associate billing 2100-2400 hrs makes the "DPW" scale?

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14445
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:10 pm

jbagelboy wrote:so if I'm reading that right, an associate billing 2100-2400 hrs makes the "DPW" scale?


But 2099 is half DPW. 1999 is 1/4th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273546
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:11 pm

lol at the 2013 assoc working 2700+ hours

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14445
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:11 pm

Fatduck throwing his Quinn Sandals in the trash.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:so if I'm reading that right, an associate billing 2100-2400 hrs makes the "DPW" scale?


But 2099 is half DPW. 1999 is 1/4th.


quinn's always been below market for "low billers" though. that's the whole point. that's the culture.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:13 pm

The people in my class going to QE are already drinking the Koolaid so hard.

anonnymouse
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby anonnymouse » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Fatduck throwing his Quinn Sandals in the trash.

SPS, a TTT in decline. LJL at 2011 KE 2400 hr bros stylin on 2011 QE 2700 hr flip flop-havers. CHECK YOU BONUSES, John Quinn.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14445
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:so if I'm reading that right, an associate billing 2100-2400 hrs makes the "DPW" scale?


But 2099 is half DPW. 1999 is 1/4th.


quinn's always been below market for "low billers" though. that's the whole point. that's the culture.


Future QuinnNY associate?

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 pm

prorated $15k for stubbies is like $3k+. if ur a first year and bill 1950 and get barely more than a stubby you gotta kys right?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Cobretti » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:45 pm

for firms that give a year of seniority for MBAs, do you typically still get a prorated bonus your stub year?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:so if I'm reading that right, an associate billing 2100-2400 hrs makes the "DPW" scale?


But 2099 is half DPW. 1999 is 1/4th.


quinn's always been below market for "low billers" though. that's the whole point. that's the culture.


Future QuinnNY associate?


Most definitely not. Fuck that noise. I want to bill 1850 with impunity

run26.2
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby run26.2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:48 pm

QE's scale is fine, to me. It just provides a lot of incentive to bill 2100 hours. That's smart by the firm. Productive associates who don't kill themselves. It may not play out that way, but at least the scale incentivizes that.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:42 pm

run26.2 wrote:QE's scale is fine, to me. It just provides a lot of incentive to bill 2100 hours. That's smart by the firm. Productive associates who don't kill themselves. It may not play out that way, but at least the scale incentivizes that.

(stockholm syndrome)

GOATlawman
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby GOATlawman » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:32 am

i've always wondered if the QE kids were bullshitting when they say they billed 3k

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby fats provolone » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:36 am

GOATlawman wrote:i've always wondered if the QE kids were bullshitting when they say they billed 3k

if i was gonna get like 1/10 market for hitting sub-2000 i would churn baby churn




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.