2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Bonuses will be _____ from last year

Up
62
61%
Unchanged
34
33%
Down
6
6%
 
Total votes: 102

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14376
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cusenation wrote:How do people think KE will respond for their own bonus scale?



It will be something like market is the floor, above 2,000 gets around 1.2x-1.3x market, 2,200-2,300 gets around 1.4x-1.5x market, 2,400-2,600 gets around 1.6x-2x the market. If you're above class or top of class (so a very small minority of each class year), you're looking at around 3x. Assuming they take into account this bump (during the last bump... they didn't, so bonuses were lackluster then as well).


You think K&E is going to be paying 170k to 6th years who bill 2400? Seems pretty damn steep.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cusenation wrote:How do people think KE will respond for their own bonus scale?



It will be something like market is the floor, above 2,000 gets around 1.2x-1.3x market, 2,200-2,300 gets around 1.4x-1.5x market, 2,400-2,600 gets around 1.6x-2x the market. If you're above class or top of class (so a very small minority of each class year), you're looking at around 3x. Assuming they take into account this bump (during the last bump... they didn't, so bonuses were lackluster then as well).


You think K&E is going to be paying 170k to 6th years who bill 2400? Seems pretty damn steep.


Like I said, they're slow to catch up to the bumps, in my experience. But if they actually take into account the current market and revise their bonus grids, yes $170k will go to 6th years (who are senior associates--recall that 7th years are nonshare partners).

User avatar
Actus Reus
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Actus Reus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:03 pm

cusenation wrote:How do people think KE will respond for their own bonus scale?


you're not even an attorney yet holy shit dude.

chill out. plus, Kirkland bonuses rarely are worth the extra amount of work/life events you've missed

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Actus Reus wrote:
cusenation wrote:How do people think KE will respond for their own bonus scale?


you're not even an attorney yet holy shit dude.

chill out. plus, Kirkland bonuses rarely are worth the extra amount of work/life events you've missed

Why the reaction? can't be curious? Lol

911 crisis actor
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby 911 crisis actor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Act like you've been there

User avatar
Actus Reus
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Actus Reus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:33 pm

cusenation wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:
cusenation wrote:How do people think KE will respond for their own bonus scale?


you're not even an attorney yet holy shit dude.

chill out. plus, Kirkland bonuses rarely are worth the extra amount of work/life events you've missed

Why the reaction? can't be curious? Lol



i don't work there so not really. i just know that it's rarely worth the extra effort. is the extra 5k worth the 200 hours? rarely.

if you're summering there, or working there, it's just a good sign bonuses went up. good news all around.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby phonepro » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 am

Although I was very excited at first, it is sad that a first year associate was getting a 30k+ bonus 7,8 years ago - and we are now excited for half of that in 2014. The real increases came at the higher levels which are a lot less associates to hand those big amounts to

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:44 am

Skadden ‘Beats’ Simpson, Kinda

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/11/associat ... son-kinda/

QUOTED:
We’ve heard of Simpson matches for the classes of 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2010, which suggests matching up and down the scale. But for associates from the class of 2007 and more senior classes, the Friedman memo contains this language:

In response to requests from associates that we update our compensation model for senior associates, this year there will be differentiated bonuses for associates in classes 2007 and senior. To more accurately reflect individual contributions to the Firm and our clients, distinctions will be based upon individual excellence, including quality of work, intensity of effort, depth of experience and Firm citizenship. While most of our associates in classes 2007 and senior will receive a bonus of $100,000, individual bonus amounts (which may be higher or lower) will be determined in the next two weeks applying the above criteria. Some associates in those classes will receive a bonus of $110,000 in recognition of extraordinary performance and intensity of effort. Payment will only be made to associates employed by the Firm on December 19th."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:53 am

Anyone know what the Class of 2014 got at Skadden? I think they usually prorate differently than the other firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:57 am

Skadden 2014 got pro-rated $4,500 (started: mid September 2014).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden 2014 got pro-rated $4,500 (started: mid September 2014).


maybe other firms will now give spring bonuses to match Skadden

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:19 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden ‘Beats’ Simpson, Kinda

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/11/associat ... son-kinda/

QUOTED:
We’ve heard of Simpson matches for the classes of 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2010, which suggests matching up and down the scale. But for associates from the class of 2007 and more senior classes, the Friedman memo contains this language:

In response to requests from associates that we update our compensation model for senior associates, this year there will be differentiated bonuses for associates in classes 2007 and senior. To more accurately reflect individual contributions to the Firm and our clients, distinctions will be based upon individual excellence, including quality of work, intensity of effort, depth of experience and Firm citizenship. While most of our associates in classes 2007 and senior will receive a bonus of $100,000, individual bonus amounts (which may be higher or lower) will be determined in the next two weeks applying the above criteria. Some associates in those classes will receive a bonus of $110,000 in recognition of extraordinary performance and intensity of effort. Payment will only be made to associates employed by the Firm on December 19th."


LOL. That's not beating the Simpson scale. Note that "or lower".

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Skadden 2014 got pro-rated $4,500 (started: mid September 2014).


maybe other firms will now give spring bonuses to match Skadden


This is consistent with Simpson et al.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Skadden ‘Beats’ Simpson, Kinda

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/11/associat ... son-kinda/

QUOTED:
We’ve heard of Simpson matches for the classes of 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2010, which suggests matching up and down the scale. But for associates from the class of 2007 and more senior classes, the Friedman memo contains this language:

In response to requests from associates that we update our compensation model for senior associates, this year there will be differentiated bonuses for associates in classes 2007 and senior. To more accurately reflect individual contributions to the Firm and our clients, distinctions will be based upon individual excellence, including quality of work, intensity of effort, depth of experience and Firm citizenship. While most of our associates in classes 2007 and senior will receive a bonus of $100,000, individual bonus amounts (which may be higher or lower) will be determined in the next two weeks applying the above criteria. Some associates in those classes will receive a bonus of $110,000 in recognition of extraordinary performance and intensity of effort. Payment will only be made to associates employed by the Firm on December 19th."


LOL. That's not beating the Simpson scale. Note that "or lower".


Take it up with, ATL, boo. I just copied the title.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Skadden ‘Beats’ Simpson, Kinda

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/11/associat ... son-kinda/

QUOTED:
We’ve heard of Simpson matches for the classes of 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2010, which suggests matching up and down the scale. But for associates from the class of 2007 and more senior classes, the Friedman memo contains this language:

In response to requests from associates that we update our compensation model for senior associates, this year there will be differentiated bonuses for associates in classes 2007 and senior. To more accurately reflect individual contributions to the Firm and our clients, distinctions will be based upon individual excellence, including quality of work, intensity of effort, depth of experience and Firm citizenship. While most of our associates in classes 2007 and senior will receive a bonus of $100,000, individual bonus amounts (which may be higher or lower) will be determined in the next two weeks applying the above criteria. Some associates in those classes will receive a bonus of $110,000 in recognition of extraordinary performance and intensity of effort. Payment will only be made to associates employed by the Firm on December 19th."


LOL. That's not beating the Simpson scale. Note that "or lower".


What a lovely retort, Mr. Anonymous. Anonymous, of course, because you work at Simpson?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:54 pm


User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:36 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/11/associat ... h-simpson/

shearman, deb, and weil

Shearman is discretionary thoguh

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:39 pm

DPW beat market for 2011 grads and up.

mvp99
Posts: 1383
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby mvp99 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:46 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2014/11/associate-bonus-watch-3-more-firms-match-simpson/

shearman, deb, and weil

Shearman is discretionary thoguh


then Sherman didn't match in my book...

can someone post DPW

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

DPW Scale

2014: 15,000 (pro rated)
2013: 15,000
2012: 25,000
2011: 50,000 (vs 40)
2010: 65,000 (vs 55)
2009: 80,000 (vs 70)
2008: 90,000 (vs 85)
2007+: 100,000

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW Scale

2014: 15,000 (pro rated)
2013: 15,000
2012: 25,000
2011: 50,000 (vs 40)
2010: 65,000 (vs 55)
2009: 80,000 (vs 70)
2008: 90,000 (vs 85)
2007+: 100,000


Well not quite a bidding "war," but at least a little skirmish. Come on S&C.. Shatter the shatterers.

User avatar
utahraptor
Posts: 3440
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby utahraptor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DPW Scale

2014: 15,000 (pro rated)
2013: 15,000
2012: 25,000
2011: 50,000 (vs 40)
2010: 65,000 (vs 55)
2009: 80,000 (vs 70)
2008: 90,000 (vs 85)
2007+: 100,000


Well not quite a bidding "war," but at least a little skirmish. Come on S&C.. Shatter the shatterers.


idk I don't think I could ever imagine MARKET SHATTERING BONSAI

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:27 pm

haha @ everyone saying DPW will never be a market leader or go against cravath scale in this thread.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: 2014 Biglaw Bonus Thread

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:31 pm

utahraptor wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DPW Scale

2014: 15,000 (pro rated)
2013: 15,000
2012: 25,000
2011: 50,000 (vs 40)
2010: 65,000 (vs 55)
2009: 80,000 (vs 70)
2008: 90,000 (vs 85)
2007+: 100,000


Well not quite a bidding "war," but at least a little skirmish. Come on S&C.. Shatter the shatterers.


idk I don't think I could ever imagine MARKET SHATTERING BONSAI

best swag ever




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.