Startup/VC Law - Ship sailed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Startup/VC Law - Ship sailed?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:41 pm

I have been pretty determined since 1L to do Startup/VC/entrepreneurial law. I have been heavily involved in this area in and out of school to the extent possible, am published in the area, have connections in the area, grew up in the bay, etc.

I have interviewed with all of the big 4 firms that do this work (Fenwick, Gunderson, Cooley, WSGR), and even had some callbacks during both 2L and 3L hiring, but nothing ever panned out. Some have rejected me more than once (2L and then 3L). I'll be going to a V50 doing general corporate work after law school, but my firm has zero exposure to startups/VCs etc.

I'm pretty intent on continuing to try to get involved in this line of work, but I'm concerned that i've maxed out my options at this point. Some have said that I'll have even better chances after law school because the lateral market is better than law school hiring and my continued interest will show a commitment to this type of work. However I can't help but think that my being rejected over and over again by these firms will be a stain on my candidacy.

My thoughts include trying to crack different offices of the firms above or trying different firms altogether. However, I know some will say that trying the latter is pointless because no other firms legitimately do this kind of work and so I wouldn't be setting myself up for success in the area.

Any ideas?

Anonymous User

Re: Startup/VC Law - Ship sailed?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm an associate at a regional office of one of those firms.

I think applying to the regional offices is a good move, but be prepared to explain any ties you have to the area. I know I wouldn't have gotten hired at my office w/o ties.

Also, if you can't get hired now it's not the end of the world. My office is filled with people form general corporate firms. This type of work is a bit diff. than general corp, but at the end of the day the firms are willing to take smart people even if they don't have experience don't this specific type of corp work.

GL!

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:59 pm

start a company and then break the law

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an associate at a regional office of one of those firms.

I think applying to the regional offices is a good move, but be prepared to explain any ties you have to the area. I know I wouldn't have gotten hired at my office w/o ties.

Also, if you can't get hired now it's not the end of the world. My office is filled with people form general corporate firms. This type of work is a bit diff. than general corp, but at the end of the day the firms are willing to take smart people even if they don't have experience don't this specific type of corp work.

GL!

OP here. Thanks, this is very helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:05 am

person who lateraled from M&A to VC work--ship hasn't sailed at all. just keep ur head down, do good work and focus on building your skills.

Return to “Legal Employment”