"Best practices" for working with a recruiter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Best practices" for working with a recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:46 pm

I have recently had a couple of rounds of interviews for a lateral position at a firm. A recruiter helped me get the interview and has been my go-between with the firm for everything from the beginning. I have not had any direct contact with the firm outside of the interviews.

The interviews have gone well, but the recruiter is kind of flaky when it comes to providing feedback and I often wonder if he is similarly flaky when reaching out to the firm for follow up. I am also concerned that he has more than one candidate interviewing for the same position (pretty sure he does) so he does not have a strong motivation to help push my candidacy along.

My question is at what point is it okay to go around the recruiter and reach out to the firm directly. I don't want to violate any standard practices (for whatever they are worth) or make anybody upset, but I am up against some deadlines and I need feedback as soon as possible. Is there any chance that this will backfire (e.g., making either the firm or the recruiter unhappy)?

I assume I am just overthinking things and that I should just reach out to the firm, but I thought I would see if the TLS community has any thoughts first.

Anonymous User

Re: "Best practices" for working with a recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:52 pm

OP here. I should add that the recruiter is very well known in the market I'm looking at, so he could make my life a little more difficult if he wanted to. He obviously wouldn't tank my ability to apply elsewhere, but he is objectively the best source of leads and has a number of exclusive openings because of his reputation in the market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Bumping for the afternoon crowd.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 pm

I believe best practice is "don't"

don't have any specific advice though except that if you feel like you're getting screwed you probably are

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Given that most frequent contributors on this site are probably students, I understand the limited response. Does anyone have any suggestions for other sites/resources that might have some insights into my question? I did some general searches, but most advice just focuses on not trying to get around the recruiter to the employer (and thereby undercutting the recruiter's placement fee). My situation is a little different, so any sources would be welcome.

Maybe I'm just a little anxious to get a result before things get stale, but the situation could be a little sensitive given the recruiter's relationship with the firm. (Or it could just be all in my head, which I will gladly admit before someone here points that out to me.)

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm a lateral associate who used a recruiter to transition a while back. After I interviewed at a firm, I communicated directly with the firm. I had a good relationship with my recruiter and kept them in the loop, and my recruiter and the firm were also communicating directly. But there was nothing wrong with interacting directly with the employer, nor did that have any bearing on the undisputed fact that the recruiter would receive a fee if I accepted the job.

I would email your recruiter, tell him about the other deadlines and that you need to follow up with this target firm, and tell him that because it is time-sensitive, you will be contacting the firm's internal recruiter and/or the hiring partner with whom you interviewed, with a cc/bcc to him, unless you hear from him that he can handle and would prefer to handle that follow up tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would email your recruiter, tell him about the other deadlines and that you need to follow up with this target firm, and tell him that because it is time-sensitive, you will be contacting the firm's internal recruiter and/or the hiring partner with whom you interviewed, with a cc/bcc to him, unless you hear from him that he can handle and would prefer to handle that follow up tomorrow.

Great suggestion. Thanks to you and JusticeJackson for the responses. You are both correct that my question was not about cutting out the recruiter but about trying to get inside the blackbox that is often created when recruiters are handling all communications with the firms. You both offered good advice and I feel more comfortable with my planned contact with the firm now. Thanks again.

Return to “Legal Employment”