Pro Bono Opportunities in NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pro Bono Opportunities in NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:31 am

This is not exactly legal employment per se, but c'est la vie. I'm a second year attorney who would like to use my legal skills to help my community (in this case NYC). I'd prefer something civil or community based (read: not criminal) and am not able to leave my firm during the middle of the day on weekdays to man a hotline, etc. I'd like to volunteer my time on the weekends or in the evenings a few times a month.

I've had a difficult time finding opportunities for working attorneys who aren't able to leave the office during the workday. The usual suspects (Legal Aid Society, NYC Bar) seem to require workday hours. That sort of thing doesn't fly at my firm. Can anyone recommend a pro bono organization in NYC that offers non-workday volunteer opportunities? I feel like it should be easier to volunteer my time and skills ...

Thanks all :D

KD35

Re: Pro Bono Opportunities in NYC

Postby KD35 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:44 am

Can't do pro bono through firm?

Anonymous User

Re: Pro Bono Opportunities in NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:52 am

Nope - we get the Legal Aid emails, but the only opportunities through Legal Aid require significant commitments during workday hours (several hours a week downtown during the middle of the workday). My firm is in midtown and we're expected to be in the office during the workday. Pro bono is not encouraged in my firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”