how much explanation on writing sample?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
victortsoi

how much explanation on writing sample?

Postby victortsoi » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:09 am

Do you really need to say more than "This was the result of an assignment in Class X during Semester Y, taught by Prof. Z. Especially if its a legal memo, where the "facts" section is already included? This is for the cover page of a writing sample.

LeDique

Re: how much explanation on writing sample?

Postby LeDique » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:11 am

Short is fine. You should include whether it was edited by anyone or if anything is redacted/omitted. Mine simply says: "This writing sample represents my work completed as part of my employment with ATTORNEY, and it has not been edited by anyone other than myself. Portions of the brief have been omitted due to length."

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 am

what if i corrected i typo/mistake i noticed long after the course was over?

Manhattan

Postby Manhattan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:07 am

victortsoi wrote:what if i corrected i typo/mistake i noticed long after the course was over?
lol it isn't like they're going to see the original, and it isn't like they'd care either. You can even write a completely random document about something you're interested in if you want (I would never do this, but some people apparently do) - just give a brief description of whatever you ultimately use and you'll be fine. You don't need to say stuff like, "I corrected the spelling of the word 'cantaloupe' on page five approximately nine months after originally writing this document."

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:08 am

victortsoi wrote:what if i corrected i typo/mistake i noticed long after the course was over?

To give you an accurate reflection of the quality of my work, I present the [sample material] substantially as turned in on deadline, within page limits, and without outside assistance. The only subsequent edits are mine alone.

Return to “Legal Employment”