JD/MBA-First Summer Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
West146

JD/MBA-First Summer Question

Postby West146 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Current first year JD/MBA at Duke trying to figure out what the best option is for me to pursue this summer without closing any doors. Would prefer an experience other than a firm, ideally one that would be paying and able to give me some regulatory experience or within the GC office of a financial institution. I am thinking about FINRA/similar but would appreciate thoughts from others who have gone down this path...Thanks for your time!

bdubs

Re: JD/MBA-First Summer Question

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:29 pm

IMO firm is the best option for you if you can get it. As a JD/MBA you have to choose between law and business. Having a firm experience first summer (and getting a FT offer) lets you open the door to law firm work and leaves open your 2nd summer to pursue a business opportunity.

I'm not sure that a government agency is going to give you any benefit because they rarely hire fresh grads, but some are different than others.

Return to “Legal Employment”