Had to Stay Late: Getting Nervous Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Had to Stay Late: Getting Nervous

Post by 094320 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:58 pm

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:09 pm

that's why you work at a firm with no face time requirement. you can move a few time zones away and not tell anyone.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Serious question: How on earth can your brain function for 13 hours straight every day? Or is there some fairly mindless work in between that you can bill too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:36 pm

sinfiery wrote:Serious question: How on earth can your brain function for 13 hours straight every day? Or is there some fairly mindless work in between that you can bill too.

(Posting anon because I have several colleagues that I know are on this site) Seriously, adderall is a helluva drug. When I'm billing, I don't usually go more than 6-7 hours straight without a beak, which is a bit above average. A lot of the times, if you have a big inventory and no super pressing deadlines, you can pick things apart and do pieces of tasks each day. So, I'll usually do something until I hit a phase where I need someone else's input or need them to do anything. That buys a couple hours to move to the next project, which is hopefully doc review. I hate long blocks of doc review. When timed just right, however, it's a nice break from writing briefs.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:00 pm

Now I want to know the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GOATlawman

Bronze

Post by GOATlawman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Serious question: How on earth can your brain function for 13 hours straight every day? Or is there some fairly mindless work in between that you can bill too.
Seriously, adderall is a helluva drug.
TCR

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:19 am

Maybe having a work life balance to most include working until/past 8pm to all the associates? There is a lot to do after 9pm ...

Also, not all firms requires to be billing in the office and/or in the evenings. You were given some work to be done before the morning, so manage it yourself. He didn't tell you to stay and do the work, just do it. Sounds like 3 hours or work... You could have went home and parties and got in at 7am to finish.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:14 pm

OP again.

I guess I should have realized this earlier. I don't know how much longer I can last with these hours. Had to stay till 9:30 pm last night. How early can you leave your biglaw firm before it raises any eyebrows. Obviously now is too soon, but how about 6 months in? A year? Also, what kind of jobs should I be looking at?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again.

I guess I should have realized this earlier. I don't know how much longer I can last with these hours. Had to stay till 9:30 pm last night. How early can you leave your biglaw firm before it raises any eyebrows. Obviously now is too soon, but how about 6 months in? A year? Also, what kind of jobs should I be looking at?
Does working variables of 40-80 hours a week bother you? Law might not be for you, but you can check out what other jobs outside of big law are like here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:54 pm

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mephistopheles wrote::lol:
OP here.

What is the joke? During my SA this firm was all about "having a life outside of work" and "humane hours". In fact that's why I picked them.
I assume this is a flame. All the same, That was recruiting. Now you're an associate.
I enjoyed this

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:58 pm

I realize this sounds snarky and it's really not intended as snark: how can we tell you what kinds of jobs you should look at? What do you want to do, besides have control over your schedule? What kind of work are you doing now/what kind of experience do you have?

There was a thread just recently (maybe called something like "why work for the government?" But I forget exactly) where federal attorneys were talking about how they have to get permission to work more than 40 hours a week. However, if you're in litigation and a case goes to trial (or big hearings), you have to put in the hours regardless, if the work has to get done. Although it's often clearer in lit when the crunch times will be (the court sets deadlines so you know what's needed when, roughly, although opposing counsel can sandbag you somewhat), if you're in biglaw your schedule will still probably be at the mercy of midlevels and partners who won't give you much notice. (Probably in most firms, unless maybe very small.)

The problem is that law is a service profession, so in many cases you're subject to the whims of your clients. The best way to control your own hours (apart from the 40-hour-max federal jobs, I guess) is probably to go solo (but there are a lot of other risks associated with that).

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Lol

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:11 pm

Lets think about this issue logically

1) Law firms make money by billing your time
2) Partners want to make as much money as possible.
3) You make an exorbitant amount of money and have no skills beyond legal research and moving commas around
4) You're entirely fungible, and can be replaced in two weeks by another bright eyed young doe looking to grind it out
5) As a result you're going to work long hours.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GOATlawman

Bronze

Post by GOATlawman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:47 pm

I understand that people in France have pretty solid hours. 35 max or something. Maybe try opening a coffee shop or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:29 am

AnaMariana42

New

Post by AnaMariana42 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:31 am

You have to realize how naive and whiny you sound with this. There's no way you went through law school talking to people and thought biglaw would be a strictly 9-5.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:06 pm

If my brain only had to function for 13 hours straight every day, this job would be a piece of cake. When you're working until 5 a.m. multiple days in a row and sleeping under your desk since going home to sleep in your bed for 2 hours and come back to the office wastes an extra hour of sleep you can't afford to give up now that you're on the 4th day of that type of run, it's actually a pretty dark experience. Obviously those are the exceptions when deals just get crazy busy, but they certainly happen.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:43 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
If my brain only had to function for 13 hours straight every day, this job would be a piece of cake. When you're working until 5 a.m. multiple days in a row and sleeping under your desk since going home to sleep in your bed for 2 hours and come back to the office wastes an extra hour of sleep you can't afford to give up now that you're on the 4th day of that type of run, it's actually a pretty dark experience. Obviously those are the exceptions when deals just get crazy busy, but they certainly happen.
This, completely. I'm one week into a stretch where I've not gotten more than four hours of sleep a night - some nights only 2-3 hours - with three days to go. Thinking is an effort right now that requires pushing through a haze. If I was finishing work at 10 PM right now (i.e. 13 hours), I would - without irony - considering myself to be getting off "really early" for the night. That's still enough time to eat dinner outside the office AND meet friends for a drink or hit the gym late.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:17 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:What you've described is what happens at a firm with good work life balance.

At a firm with bad work life balance, they give you the assignment at 8 and you work until midnight.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”