Commute to Midtown Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Commute to Midtown

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:14 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/big- ... y-26790611

Does this make the commute from Jersey City to Midtown bearable?

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Re: Commute to Midtown

Post by Mr. Elshal » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/big- ... y-26790611

It probably won't make much difference. They've refurbished some stations and added pretty underground tunnels lined with shops. They're not adding train lines or train stations. This is effectively a series of tunnels connecting already existing train stations, so if transferring is an issue for you, this will make it more convenient (if the two trains you use are both within this station). It will not alleviate the crazy crowds vying for space on trains where people are packed so tight they could practically merge with each other. Whether it makes the commute bearable will depend a lot on what the unbearable part is, in your opinion.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:39 pm

If you're commuting from JC to Midtown you'd probably take the 33rd street line, not the world trade center line.

Either way the Path is waaay too crowded already. Shoulder to shoulder all during rush hour, with crowds not fitting into the cars. And they keep building sky rises, and no one's planning on expanding the Path service. It's gonna be like Mumbai.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:09 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:

If you're commuting from JC to Midtown you'd probably take the 33rd street line, not the world trade center line.
Wrong. Depends where your office is in Midtown, but PATH to the WTC and 4/5 or 2/3 to Midtown is the faster route for most people. I do this every day. There are a handful of firms in the lower 40s on 6th Ave for which 33rd St might be faster (White & Case, e.g.), but not for most big firms, and 33rd St to the lower 40s is a long-ish walk in the winter cold, summer heat or rainy weather anyway. For some parts of JC (if you're close to Exchange Place, for example), WTC will always be faster.
Either way the Path is waaay too crowded already. Shoulder to shoulder all during rush hour, with crowds not fitting into the cars. And they keep building sky rises, and no one's planning on expanding the Path service. It's gonna be like Mumbai.
It's not as bad as the 4/5 at rush hour, or indeed a lot of other subway lines at rush hour. Very crowded but not a reason to avoid Jersey City, since you'll be packed in on most subway lines, too.

Anyway, it will be nice. Connecting the PATH and subway underground is convenient (once the first underground parts of the PATH hub open in December/January) and will shave a couple of minutes off of my travel time, plus not having to go outside in aforementioned bad weather. Not a huge deal either way but an improvement.

My door-to-door is 30-35 minutes right now, by the way, with some variation based on luck (can be as low as 25 minutes or a bit less if I hit the transfers perfectly). In my experience the 4/5 are typically the cause of delays in my commute rather than the PATH.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:10 pm

I just checked on google maps for Cravath, Wachtell, Skadden, & Latham (all in various midtown areas) and google suggested that the 33rd street line is faster than the WTC line in each case. You do know you can connect with most (all?) of the main Manhattan lines at either 33rd street or 23rd street, right? Were you assuming you'd just walk from 33rd street? (Doable for maybe Skadden but not the others). I don't know, maybe your firm is different or in a random location where WTC is way faster. I can definitely say that 33rd St is faster for me though.

Also, the commute from the Hoboken Path station is way better than the Journal Square lines. Less crowded and it's the first stop on the line so you can usually get an open seat, even in rush hour.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:28 pm

The path isn't that bad. Second on rush hour. Every subway line is overpacked during rush hour. For how far you're going, the Path is prob the best deal of anything in NYC.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:47 pm

I don't see how this makes a difference other than saving like 1-2 minutes tops navigating the transfer. Trains are still gonna run equally frequently at the same speed, it will just be marginally more comfortable waiting for them at the new station.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”