Is a Bankruptcy Class Necessary? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Purplebook

New

Is a Bankruptcy Class Necessary?

Post by Purplebook » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:41 am

I have no interest in taking Bankruptcy. Is it necessary for transactional practice?

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Re: Is a Bankruptcy Class Necessary?

Post by 911 crisis actor » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:45 am

No

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:51 am

This could be entirely anecdotal, but I have had several practicing attorneys tell me that Secured Transactions is a solid class to take for transactional practice. I even received this advice from a BK attorney. She recommended ST over BK.

Purplebook

New

Post by Purplebook » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:14 pm

JG7773 wrote:This could be entirely anecdotal, but I have had several practicing attorneys tell me that Secured Transactions is a solid class to take for transactional practice. I even received this advice from a BK attorney. She recommended ST over BK.
I've heard that multiple times too. No one's ever mentioned anything about bankruptcy though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:16 pm

I thought Creditors Rights was easily one of the best classes I took in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fanlinxun

Bronze

Post by fanlinxun » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:32 pm

It is certainly not necessary, but I found that bankruptcy and corporate tax were the two best classes to get ready for a transactional practice. This obviously depends on how the class is taught, but I learned the language of debt and credit from bankruptcy (I didn't take creditors rights, which might have had the same benefit). Also, there is something about seeing how companies are put together (corporate tax) and then taken apart or reorganized (bankruptcy) that helps you better understand what is going on in various corporate transactions.

This is also completely contingent on how the class is taught, but I found secured transactions useless for anything other than picking up a couple of multiple choice questions (literally two) on the NY bar exam. It isn't one of the classes that I look back on and feel like it has had a direct impact on my transactional work.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:09 pm

It's good for an overall understanding of corporate law. And if your firm has a big bankruptcy practice, good chance you'd work on bankruptcy deals as a corporate lawyer. But, no, it's not necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”