Demographics of lawyers: older and grayer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Demographics of lawyers: older and grayer

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:26 am

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... =most_read

I was amazed at how much older, on average, lawyers are not than a couple decades ago. The article doesn't say this, but it seems to me that given the number of law grads the likely explanation seems to be that people who graduated in a better economy had the ability to practice and get experience for 5-10+ years, and its very tough for any recent law grad to take the position of one of these people because of the experience differential.

I'd be very interested in anyone's thoughts on this trend.

Big Dog

Silver

Re: Demographics of lawyers: older and grayer

Post by Big Dog » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:38 am

The article doesn't say this,
Sure it does (although it requires CR):
Arguably, the simplest explanation for these patterns is that it has gotten much harder over time to parlay a JD degree into paid employment as a licensed lawyer,” Henderson says. “So, faced with a saturated legal market, law school graduates have been pursuing careers outside of law.”

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”