Reaching out to firm directly after recruiter discloses firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reaching out to firm directly after recruiter discloses firm

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:06 pm

I'm a 1-2 year associate in a major market. Get calls from recruiters all the time and I'm usually not interested, however, I got a call from a recruiter today who asked a little about me and then disclosed the name of a firm and the hiring partner for a position that is not publicly posted. I'm actually interested in applying to this firm. I've heard that it is dumb to use a legal recruiter for your first few years of practice because firms won't want to pay the recruiter's fee. My question is, is it wrong to just circumvent the recruiter and reach out to the firm directly? I told the recruiter that we could speak more about the position later this week, but I didn't give my resume or authorization to submit my resume.

Return to “Legal Employment”