Please Help - 2L SA Offer Contingent on Fall Grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Please Help - 2L SA Offer Contingent on Fall Grades

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:10 pm

I have found myself in what I imagine is a unique situation and I wanted to turn to the collective wisdom of TLS to see if anyone might have any advice.

I recently had a mass-mail callback with a V100 firm that I loved everything about and really want to work for. I was literally the last person they brought in on the recommendation of a couple of alums within the firm, so I doubt I was taken into account in their original SA projections. Anyways, I received a call from the hiring partner who told me that my CB interviews went extremely well and I received positive recommendations across the board. However, he told me that he would not be making an offer at this time and that instead he would like to see my grades from this fall semester. He said that while they were content with the number that had accepted offers to join their summer class, they still wanted to keep in touch with me and see how my grades panned out.

I should mention that I am a transfer student from a lower T1 and I now attend a T20 school in the same state. I will be splitting my summer and I currently have a SA position for one half of the summer with a different mid-sized (non-vault) firm that pays market.

My question is, how should I approach this situation? What should I do if I receive an SA offer from a small firm before the end of the semester and hearing back from the V100? I would rather not accept the next best position I get and reneg if I end up getting an offer from the V100, but is that the smartest option? Also, would it be reasonable to call the hiring partner back and ask for more certainty? That is, ask if I earn a certain GPA that there will be, or likely will be, a position for me? I would be more comfortable turning down other opportunities if I knew my fate was entirely in my own hands.

Any advice would be incredible and I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DportIA

Bronze

Re: Please Help - 2L SA Offer Contingent on Fall Grades

Postby DportIA » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:24 pm

This is very strange.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:27 pm

DportIA wrote:This is very strange.

OP here. I 100% agree. I searched the forums and didn't find anything relevant to help approach this type of situation.

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Seems plain as day to me that your title was deceiving. You have no offer. You got a very polite blowoff and an invitation to update them with grades. Move on.

patogordo

Gold

Postby patogordo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:40 pm

if you get another offer with a deadline, you could contact this partner and tell him that you'd like to summer at his firm but you have expiring offers elsewhere. maybe he'll give you an offer, maybe not. asking for some threshold gpa that will guarantee you an offer sounds ridiculous.

arklaw13

Gold

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:47 pm

If they were going to hire you, they would have hired you. Unless you completely blow this semester out of the water, I doubt anything will come of it. Sounds like they probably would have hired you if your cb had been earlier in the semester, but their class is full, and I doubt they're interested in adding more.

If you do get a small firm offer and then somehow get an offer from the V100, just blow off the small firm and take the offer. Firms will screw you over if it benefits them. The small firm can find another person to take the spot in a heartbeat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:23 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Seems plain as day to me that your title was deceiving. You have no offer. You got a very polite blowoff and an invitation to update them with grades. Move on.

Thank you for the harsh input. I used the title that I did because there is a possibility of an offer depending on the circumstances and my grades being right. I did not mean to be misleading so if you have a more accurate title please tell me what that would be and I will see if it can be changed.

patogordo wrote:if you get another offer with a deadline, you could contact this partner and tell him that you'd like to summer at his firm but you have expiring offers elsewhere. maybe he'll give you an offer, maybe not. asking for some threshold gpa that will guarantee you an offer sounds ridiculous.

Thanks for the solid advice. I was concerned that might have been a bad idea and that confirms it. I'll plan on following up on the situation if/when something else comes along.

arklaw13 wrote:If they were going to hire you, they would have hired you. Unless you completely blow this semester out of the water, I doubt anything will come of it. Sounds like they probably would have hired you if your cb had been earlier in the semester, but their class is full, and I doubt they're interested in adding more.

FWIW at my CB the recruiting coordinator said they have the capacity for X SAs and currently project to have 3 less than that number accept, which they would be content with. I specifically asked whether this left any room for me and she said that if the right candidate comes along they had the room and would happily take on another. In other words, they wouldn't have wasted my time or their time/money bringing me in for a CB late last week if they weren't willing to add another. The summer class size is in the 20s and she was clear that they had some wiggle room and were not tied to a specific number.

Also, I didn't go into extreme detail in my original post, but the hiring partner said things to indicate that if my fall grades were acceptable that there was a good chance of a spot for me. He also said to keep in touch about any offers in the meantime and that he wouldn't be placing me in what he knew was a difficult situation if there was not a possibility of it working out for me. I took it as something more than a polite blow off, but maybe I'm just naive.

arklaw13

Gold

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:Seems plain as day to me that your title was deceiving. You have no offer. You got a very polite blowoff and an invitation to update them with grades. Move on.

Thank you for the harsh input. I used the title that I did because there is a possibility of an offer depending on the circumstances and my grades being right. I did not mean to be misleading so if you have a more accurate title please tell me what that would be and I will see if it can be changed.

patogordo wrote:if you get another offer with a deadline, you could contact this partner and tell him that you'd like to summer at his firm but you have expiring offers elsewhere. maybe he'll give you an offer, maybe not. asking for some threshold gpa that will guarantee you an offer sounds ridiculous.

Thanks for the solid advice. I was concerned that might have been a bad idea and that confirms it. I'll plan on following up on the situation if/when something else comes along.

arklaw13 wrote:If they were going to hire you, they would have hired you. Unless you completely blow this semester out of the water, I doubt anything will come of it. Sounds like they probably would have hired you if your cb had been earlier in the semester, but their class is full, and I doubt they're interested in adding more.

FWIW at my CB the recruiting coordinator said they have the capacity for X SAs and currently project to have 3 less than that number accept, which they would be content with. I specifically asked whether this left any room for me and she said that if the right candidate comes along they had the room and would happily take on another. In other words, they wouldn't have wasted my time or their time/money bringing me in for a CB late last week if they weren't willing to add another. The summer class size is in the 20s and she was clear that they had some wiggle room and were not tied to a specific number.

Also, I didn't go into extreme detail in my original post, but the hiring partner said things to indicate that if my fall grades were acceptable that there was a good chance of a spot for me. He also said to keep in touch about any offers in the meantime and that he wouldn't be placing me in what he knew was a difficult situation if there was not a possibility of it working out for me. I took it as something more than a polite blow off, but maybe I'm just naive.

Have they ever hired someone from your old school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:13 pm

arklaw13 wrote: Have they ever hired someone from your old school?

Yes, the firm attends my old school's OCI and there are roughly 20 alumni currently working there.

TTTooKewl

New

Postby TTTooKewl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have found myself in what I imagine is a unique situation and I wanted to turn to the collective wisdom of TLS to see if anyone might have any advice.

I recently had a mass-mail callback with a V100 firm that I loved everything about and really want to work for. I was literally the last person they brought in on the recommendation of a couple of alums within the firm, so I doubt I was taken into account in their original SA projections. Anyways, I received a call from the hiring partner who told me that my CB interviews went extremely well and I received positive recommendations across the board. However, he told me that he would not be making an offer at this time and that instead he would like to see my grades from this fall semester. He said that while they were content with the number that had accepted offers to join their summer class, they still wanted to keep in touch with me and see how my grades panned out.

I should mention that I am a transfer student from a lower T1 and I now attend a T20 school in the same state. I will be splitting my summer and I currently have a SA position for one half of the summer with a different mid-sized (non-vault) firm that pays market.

My question is, how should I approach this situation? What should I do if I receive an SA offer from a small firm before the end of the semester and hearing back from the V100? I would rather not accept the next best position I get and reneg if I end up getting an offer from the V100, but is that the smartest option? Also, would it be reasonable to call the hiring partner back and ask for more certainty? That is, ask if I earn a certain GPA that there will be, or likely will be, a position for me? I would be more comfortable turning down other opportunities if I knew my fate was entirely in my own hands.

Any advice would be incredible and I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Obviously I don't have the same knowledge as you regarding exactly what was said. But it doesn't sound to me like you have an offer contingent on fall grades. It doesn't sound to me that an offer is guaranteed if you get a 4.0. It sounds like the firm is currently unwilling to make you an offer, but interested in you and interested in keeping you in mind in the event their needs change or you prove immensely attractive with by getting great Fall grades.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DF Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:35 pm

DF Thread

Return to “Legal Employment�