i was compromised in the stratfor leak. background check?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

i was compromised in the stratfor leak. background check?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:10 pm

So my "google" and other internet presence is squeaky clean, I should pass a background check with flying colors, I have nothing at all to hide. Before law school, i was really interested in international relations, and subscribed to stratfor. When wikileaks hacked and released customer info, i was also a "victim". If you type my name in google, you see my name and email address on a wikileaks release.

I want to work in government, should I be worried? I tell myself that i was a victim, and it could in no way be construed to make me a less attractive candidate.

/ugh

patogordo

Gold

Re: i was compromised in the stratfor leak. background check?

Postby patogordo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:15 pm

yea you'll never work in government once they find out that you once subscribed to a shitty overpriced specialty newspaper

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Hey, I was young and sometimes they didn't just regurgitate the news. The email that they will see is actually me requesting cancellation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:23 pm

I got a Secret clearance as a DoD civilian and then a TS/SCI as an intel officer on active duty. I can't claim to have any actual expertise on what will and won't raise red flags, but if you're giving us the whole story, I can't imagine that being a problem.

Is there some reason you think this would be problematic?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:46 pm

No. I actually did parts of local government background checks during an internship, and they were less "intrusive" than i thought. But with all the hype, you never know what is a problem and what is not. I try to have almost no internet presence. I have great credit too, and i wonder if they'll see where i use my credit cards lol.

On the other hand, a supervisor of mine, who didn't seem all that conservative, flagged a candidate for having martini pics in her publicly visible facebook. I was kind of surprised, since I myself flagged a lot of stuff, but wanted to let that pass as it was pretty tame. I actually heard the later telephone interview, where he flat out told her to tidy the facebook up.

Return to “Legal Employment�