Missing Class To Finish SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Missing Class To Finish SA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:03 am

So I had an SA opportunity pop up (I'm already splitting between two firms for 12 weeks). I'd really like to make the third work if I could and I'd like to hear some advice. If I only have about four weeks remaining in my summer after my second firm, and the firm I'm looking at wants six, is there anyway to make this work? I'm sure there are some kind of guidelines about missing class to finish up an SA, but has anyone heard of people doing this? I would have to miss two weeks of class to make a six week SA work.

Also would missing the first two weeks of 3L be idiotic if I'm doing it to finish an SA? Are most firms flexible with bumping an SA from six to five weeks this late in the game (because missing the first week of 3L seems far more doable)?

Thanks for any and all advice. The work is really interesting so I'd like to make the SA happen if at any way possible

ETA: Please don't quote
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FKASunny

Gold

Re: Missing Class for SA

Postby FKASunny » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:15 am

If you're getting paid thousands of dollars to miss a week of law school, that should be a no brainer.

A lot of people missed the first few weeks of 2L entirely to do callbacks. I don't see this being a problem if you email professors ahead of time and drop professors that aren't cool with it. (They all will be cool with it)

Good luck not getting three no offers.

baal hadad

Gold

Postby baal hadad » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 am

FKASunny wrote:If you're getting paid thousands of dollars to miss a week of law school, that should be a no brainer.

A lot of people missed the first few weeks of 2L entirely to do callbacks. I don't see this being a problem if you email professors ahead of time and drop professors that aren't cool with it. (They all will be cool with it)

Good luck not getting three no offers.

Cr

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:35 am

I had a friend who did this at NYU. I'm not sure of the specifics, but she did it. So....it can and has been done.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:12 am

If you're in any classes with limited enrollment and waitlists, you'll want to be sure to let the profs know that you're missing the class but still intend to take it. At my school anyway, if you miss the first or second class in one of those and someone from the waitlist is there, the prof will bump you and add them (and the school is clear that's permissible).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:30 am

Interesting.. Thanks for letting me know. That's what I'm worried about. I guess it's a roll of the dice, because none of my 2L classes took any kind of attendance this year, not even on the first day

Also, there's the option of writing a paper with a professor for 2-3 credits, which doesn't need the proposal sent in until October 1st, so I could always add that on to make up some credits I guess. I have to take 10 minimum

TooOld4This

Silver

Postby TooOld4This » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:38 am

Do all three places know about the three way split?
Have you confirmed that the third place is ok with you going that late into the summer?

IMHO, this sounds like a terrible idea unless you have a super compelling reason to do it. You'll be triggering conflicts all over the place, I'm guessing that there is no chance that your law school will let you do it (you may be able to get away with it, but I don't think you will get permission), your last firm may not be all that keen on you breaking your school's policy (they could get backlash from the school), you may lose your seat in classes you want, you are going to be very burnt out and may make yourself a prime target for no offers.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:48 am

is the third firm some place you'd rather work than the other two? or are you just doing it for the 4 weeks of pay?

Either way, TooOld4This is right, I think you need to tell your existing two employers about this third one.

hephaestus

Gold

Postby hephaestus » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:06 pm

The first two weeks of 3L will likely coincide with your schools add/drop period anyway, so no one will likely notice/care that you are gone. I have confidence you can make this work.

Kratos

Platinum

Postby Kratos » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting.. Thanks for letting me know. That's what I'm worried about. I guess it's a roll of the dice, because none of my 2L classes took any kind of attendance this year, not even on the first day

Also, there's the option of writing a paper with a professor for 2-3 credits, which doesn't need the proposal sent in until October 1st, so I could always add that on to make up some credits I guess. I have to take 10 minimum

Ok, first off, just skip class. If you're really that worried, just sign up on the last day of the add/drop period and then you technically are only "absent" from one week. No teacher is gonna give you shit.

But since you don't seem to want to do that, let me ask, is the SA in the same area your school is in? Makes it a lot easier but even without, and if you want to miss minimal class time its not that difficult.

So yeah do the paper option. Take multiple short courses, thats another 3-4 credits. Assuming your on a journal, thats another credit. Optimistically, you're at 8. If your school is in the same area, just schedule an early morning class or night class. There ya go, least 10. If its not, I'm quite confident you can figure out a way to fill up 2 or so credits through extracurriculars.

Alternatively, you could just be a normal striver and not take on a 3rd SA.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:33 pm

TooOld4This wrote:Do all three places know about the three way split?
Have you confirmed that the third place is ok with you going that late into the summer?

IMHO, this sounds like a terrible idea unless you have a super compelling reason to do it. You'll be triggering conflicts all over the place, I'm guessing that there is no chance that your law school will let you do it (you may be able to get away with it, but I don't think you will get permission), your last firm may not be all that keen on you breaking your school's policy (they could get backlash from the school), you may lose your seat in classes you want, you are going to be very burnt out and may make yourself a prime target for no offers.

+1

arklaw13

Gold

Re: Missing Class To Finish SA

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Job > going to class

sinfiery

Gold

Postby sinfiery » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:31 pm

damn, I wish I could swing 18 months of 3k pay/week @ that tax bracket

lol @ class even being a consideration. get that money.

DportIA

Bronze

Postby DportIA » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:40 pm

What a fortunate spot to be in, I would absolutely miss the two weeks of class. Best of luck.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:44 pm

I agree with this. I've never heard of a three-way split. In addition to what TO4T said, you're basically drawing a lot of attention to the fact that you don't care about your school's rules, which calls your judgment into question. (Not that you'd skip class - but that you'd do it in such a blatant and premeditated way.) I think an employer would look unfavorably at you treating a commitment like thst.

baal hadad

Gold

Postby baal hadad » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:50 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I agree with this. I've never heard of a three-way split. In addition to what TO4T said, you're basically drawing a lot of attention to the fact that you don't care about your school's rules, which calls your judgment into question. (Not that you'd skip class - but that you'd do it in such a blatant and premeditated way.) I think an employer would look unfavorably at you treating a commitment like thst.

I know at least one person who did a 3 way split over 14 wks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Personally, I would be *seriously* concerned about getting no-offered if you did this

If you like all 3 equally, OK, probably not gonna get 3 no offers. But if firm #1 was first place you accepted, and since then you decided to work 2 more places, they're gonna like wtf man.

Just my personal opinion. I turned down a split that would have been 2 extra weeks of pay, because I would MUCH rather work at firm #1, who actively told me I could split, but I got the sense from some attys (after getting offer) that they don't particularly like it. And obviously why would anywhere particularly like you splitting? Idk, pissing off your #1 choice just doesn't seem to be worth it to me for a couple extra weeks of pay... Soon enough you're gonna be getting 52 weeks of pay a year..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:00 am

I did a three-way split this past summer and missed my first week of classes. None of the firms cared, got offers from all three, and since add/drop period extends into the second week at my school, none of my professors cared. One of my fellow SAs also did a three-way split and he also got offers from all three firms.

As someone said, if you're really anxious about missing class, don't take any seminars/small classes, just stick to lectures. The extra $$$ is totally worth it so definitely do the three-way split if you have the chance. Enjoyed my experience at all three places.

Return to “Legal Employment�