Regaining Motivation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Regaining Motivation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:48 pm

I attend a T1 regional school and it looks like I likely struck out at OCI / mass mailing. I finished top 3% and hustled really hard mass mailing everywhere early and following up and ended up landing around 8 callbacks and just couldn't close the deal on any. A large part of that is likely poor interviewing, go to college different than where I grew up and also different then my law school so not believable on ties, and I only researched my 1L summer and my last job before that was when I was 19. This semester as a result I just felt really jaded about the whole experience and have just been going out a lot, and not really focusing on school at all. A former judge just came to talk to us today though about clerkships and I think I'm going to recommit to school and try for this. Basically I'm just looking for some kind of assurance that this is the right path and that maybe I have a shot at this. It is hard to get back on the horse after all the rejection but obviously it's my career on the line. I should also add I'll likely have around 90-100k debt upon graduation which is bad but not so bad that my life would be over if I made 50-60k (even that though I know is no guarantee). Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has.

seizmaar

Re: Regaining Motivation

Postby seizmaar » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm

if you're looking for a place to lick your wounds or feel better about yourself, clerkship hunting is not going to help. it's a brutal place where only the strong and arbitrarily lucky survive. i think it's a worthwhile pursuit, especially if you don't have other, better options, but if you're in a fragile emotional state now just wait til you fly across county on your own dime and think an interview has gone well and then you get a "thanks no thanks" letter in the mail. hurts worse than biglaw rejections because its so utterly personal. BID

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I attend a T1 regional school and it looks like I likely struck out at OCI / mass mailing. I finished top 3% and hustled really hard mass mailing everywhere early and following up and ended up landing around 8 callbacks and just couldn't close the deal on any. A large part of that is likely poor interviewing, go to college different than where I grew up and also different then my law school so not believable on ties, and I only researched my 1L summer and my last job before that was when I was 19. This semester as a result I just felt really jaded about the whole experience and have just been going out a lot, and not really focusing on school at all. A former judge just came to talk to us today though about clerkships and I think I'm going to recommit to school and try for this. Basically I'm just looking for some kind of assurance that this is the right path and that maybe I have a shot at this. It is hard to get back on the horse after all the rejection but obviously it's my career on the line. I should also add I'll likely have around 90-100k debt upon graduation which is bad but not so bad that my life would be over if I made 50-60k (even that though I know is no guarantee). Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has.

Don't give up. I was top 5% at a regional T1 and at this time last year I didn't have a job (I;m a 3L now). I ended up getting three offers on the same day (second week of October), and then withdrew from other places even though I got a few more CBs that week. Hiring is not over and you have amazing credentials for a law firm or clerkship. You should be going full tilt on job applications with school on the back burner, and then in 3-4 weeks you need to start caring about school again to make sure that you keep your grades up.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I attend a T1 regional school and it looks like I likely struck out at OCI / mass mailing. I finished top 3% and hustled really hard mass mailing everywhere early and following up and ended up landing around 8 callbacks and just couldn't close the deal on any. A large part of that is likely poor interviewing, go to college different than where I grew up and also different then my law school so not believable on ties, and I only researched my 1L summer and my last job before that was when I was 19. This semester as a result I just felt really jaded about the whole experience and have just been going out a lot, and not really focusing on school at all. A former judge just came to talk to us today though about clerkships and I think I'm going to recommit to school and try for this. Basically I'm just looking for some kind of assurance that this is the right path and that maybe I have a shot at this. It is hard to get back on the horse after all the rejection but obviously it's my career on the line. I should also add I'll likely have around 90-100k debt upon graduation which is bad but not so bad that my life would be over if I made 50-60k (even that though I know is no guarantee). Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has.

Here's my advice: stop fucking around. No one will care about your sob story after graduation. It's on you to get results for yourself. If you don't, yes, you will have a heck of a hole to dig out of. That will suck, but you could also do that. If you think you have a legitimate issue like depression, please do get help. If it's just that you don't like school but also want to have a job after graduation, you need to stop being a child and work hard for what you want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:37 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:Here's my advice: stop fucking around. No one will care about your sob story after graduation. It's on you to get results for yourself. If you don't, yes, you will have a heck of a hole to dig out of. That will suck, but you could also do that. If you think you have a legitimate issue like depression, please do get help. If it's just that you don't like school but also want to have a job after graduation, you need to stop being a child and work hard for what you want.

Seconded. At this point, doing well in school is the only way you will actually improve your situation. I just got a job as a 3L and I feel it was in large part because I doubled down during 2L and hit the books like a mofo. Good luck.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:04 am

Honestly it may not be the right path. That's on you to figure out.

Return to “Legal Employment”