not big law, but...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mcs268

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby mcs268 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:33 pm

what firm? didn't know mid law came to LA OCI...

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: not big law, but...

Postby BigZuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 pm

mcs268 wrote:what firm? didn't know mid law came to LA OCI...


What is LA OCI?

LA has quite a few midlaw firms that pay around 120K. Greenberg Glusker and Jeffer Mangels are firms like that IIRC. Don't know about the comp situation the OP is talking about though.

911 crisis actor

Bronze
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby 911 crisis actor » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:You've pretty much missed the big law boat at this point.


I am still awaiting decisions on CBs, so no, ship hasn't sailed.

Market: LA
Debt at graduation: 170k



Take the offer. Waiting on callbacks at this point means you were a second choice. Meaning you won't make partner.


Is this actually true? Are partnership prospects that much better for those with a very quick CB --> offer turnaround? I guess it makes sense, I just hadn't heard that before.


It's an unwritten rule that the cutoff is 72 hours

AReasonableMan

Gold
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:14 pm

1.) 40k pre tax is a lot but not a life changer b/w 160 and 120.

2.) depending on market, this is more than big law in terms of buying power (NYC costs 2x as much as certain markets if you want to have a car).

User avatar
Pikappraider

Gold
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby Pikappraider » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Actus Reus wrote:You've pretty much missed the big law boat at this point.


While it's late, the boat is not totally gone yet. A friend who struck out at oci just got a v100 offer in NYC today. Another friend of mine has a callback in NYC next week

User avatar
Actus Reus

Bronze
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:You've pretty much missed the big law boat at this point.


I am still awaiting decisions on CBs, so no, ship hasn't sailed.

Market: LA
Debt at graduation: 170k



Take the offer. Waiting on callbacks at this point means you were a second choice. Meaning you won't make partner.


Is this actually true? Are partnership prospects that much better for those with a very quick CB --> offer turnaround? I guess it makes sense, I just hadn't heard that before.


Direct correlation. It's like how to get away with murder. They call the kid "waitlist" because he said he got off the waitlist in law school. Firms will call you "backup" or "alt" all the time.

AReasonableMan

Gold
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:39 pm

He's joking. Only the hiring committee will know. The entire process is for firms to select those who will be a good fit and do good work. It's like the combine for the NFL draft. Those with good enough measurements (law review, great interviewer, etc.) will get more chances, but the biggest factor is going to be how you perform in the league. You're likely not going to make partner, because very few people made partner in baby boom times.

But I WOULD take the offer. Even if big law were 50/50 at this point, the difference b/w the 120k offer and nothing is bigger than the difference between big law and your current job. I'd be more concerned with the offer rate than the salary. The big law ship hasn't sailed yet, but it's close.

User avatar
Actus Reus

Bronze
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby Actus Reus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:46 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:He's joking. Only the hiring committee will know. The entire process is for firms to select those who will be a good fit and do good work. It's like the combine for the NFL draft. Those with good enough measurements (law review, great interviewer, etc.) will get more chances, but the biggest factor is going to be how you perform in the league. You're likely not going to make partner, because very few people made partner in baby boom times.

But I WOULD take the offer. Even if big law were 50/50 at this point, the difference b/w the 120k offer and nothing is bigger than the difference between big law and your current job. I'd be more concerned with the offer rate than the salary. The big law ship hasn't sailed yet, but it's close.



First round draft picks get significantly more guaranteed money which is akin to making partner. Being a backup is like end of the draft or UFA and you're always fighting to stay at the firm

wildcatatpenn

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:40 am

Re: not big law, but...

Postby wildcatatpenn » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:32 am

Actus Reus wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:He's joking. Only the hiring committee will know. The entire process is for firms to select those who will be a good fit and do good work. It's like the combine for the NFL draft. Those with good enough measurements (law review, great interviewer, etc.) will get more chances, but the biggest factor is going to be how you perform in the league. You're likely not going to make partner, because very few people made partner in baby boom times.

But I WOULD take the offer. Even if big law were 50/50 at this point, the difference b/w the 120k offer and nothing is bigger than the difference between big law and your current job. I'd be more concerned with the offer rate than the salary. The big law ship hasn't sailed yet, but it's close.



First round draft picks get significantly more guaranteed money which is akin to making partner. Being a backup is like end of the draft or UFA and you're always fighting to stay at the firm


Yea but not everyone can be a Marques Colston

If you are going through OCI as a as a Trent Richardson you have a much better chance at making partner than as a Lonnie Ballentine (who tf is that right?). Even if you're not an allstar, if you're getting an offer from CB w/in 24 hrs you're probably a lot closer to being a Derek Carr, and at least have a shot at being a franchise partner, as long as you can perform. OTOH, if you need some time to develop (for which no one will blame you as a Late 1st rounder), a Derek Carr has a much better chance of getting the partnership tag farther down the line than a Tajh Boyd with a middling pedigree, who will give it his all at making the NFL but end up, at best, being a temporary player in the questionably stable XFL

r6_philly

Diamond
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:00 am

It's much more like the baseball draft. You are selecting players based on stats that weakly (at best) correlate to future performance. You pick the best prospect but no one can tell if they can even adequately stay in the game in the big league. In a way, having been a first round pick is more of a burden. In baseball being a higher pick gets you more money. Here, it doesn't. Might actually be better to be the last one to accept. It could mean that you had options. Or not, no one can tell.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313600
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: not big law, but...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:59 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
But I WOULD take the offer. Even if big law were 50/50 at this point, the difference b/w the 120k offer and nothing is bigger than the difference between big law and your current job. I'd be more concerned with the offer rate than the salary. The big law ship hasn't sailed yet, but it's close.


OP here. Thanks, offer rate is one of the things concerning me because I can't find out that info online. Also, the compensation structure is odd because I'm not sure if it's guaranteed I'll be able to meet the hour requirement in order to make 120k/yr.

sparty99

Gold
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby sparty99 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:
But I WOULD take the offer. Even if big law were 50/50 at this point, the difference b/w the 120k offer and nothing is bigger than the difference between big law and your current job. I'd be more concerned with the offer rate than the salary. The big law ship hasn't sailed yet, but it's close.


OP here. Thanks, offer rate is one of the things concerning me because I can't find out that info online. Also, the compensation structure is odd because I'm not sure if it's guaranteed I'll be able to meet the hour requirement in order to make 120k/yr.


Dude, just take the job and continue looking. K. Thanks.

AReasonableMan

Gold
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Is being waitlisted impacting your future at a firm actually true? You're saying it would be better to go to a firm what spot offered you, because you had a great interview would be better than going to a firm you like more but did worse at the CB?

911 crisis actor

Bronze
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby 911 crisis actor » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:53 pm

That's exactly what we're saying.

AReasonableMan

Gold
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:01 pm

911 crisis actor wrote:That's exactly what we're saying.

What evidence do you have? Aren't interviews a guess that people vaguely remember 8 months later?

911 crisis actor

Bronze
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby 911 crisis actor » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Received an on the spot offer during one of my CBs and the partner told me this directly. Thought it was just marketing BS but I asked a family friend who's a partner at a biglaw firm, and he said that their hiring committee splits candidates into partner and non-partner piles, and that offers go to the partner-candidates first, usually within 72 hours after the callback.

AReasonableMan

Gold
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:20 pm

911 crisis actor wrote:Received an on the spot offer during one of my CBs and the partner told me this directly. Thought it was just marketing BS but I asked a family friend who's a partner at a biglaw firm, and he said that their hiring committee splits candidates into partner and non-partner piles, and that offers go to the partner-candidates first, usually within 72 hours after the callback.

You realize that an offer no offer is about your reviews and fit, and not about your pile? You also realize that odds are not even 1 person from your summer class makes partner?

911 crisis actor

Bronze
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby 911 crisis actor » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:33 pm

You do realize that everything you listed only applies to non-partner track summer associates, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313600
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: not big law, but...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:34 pm

911 crisis actor wrote:Received an on the spot offer during one of my CBs and the partner told me this directly. Thought it was just marketing BS but I asked a family friend who's a partner at a biglaw firm, and he said that their hiring committee splits candidates into partner and non-partner piles, and that offers go to the partner-candidates first, usually within 72 hours after the callback.


Stupidest post I've ever read on TLS. It's laughable that you think firms rely on whether someone was in the "partner pile" when considering that person for partner 8-12 years later. Making partner will be dependent on the quality of your work, your value to the firm, and relationships you have with existing partners.

User avatar
patogordo

Gold
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: not big law, but...

Postby patogordo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:36 pm

911 crisis actor is a V100 partner so i wouldn't dismiss him so readily if i were you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313600
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: not big law, but...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:45 pm

enjoy Jeffer Mangels

FSK

Platinum
Posts: 8056
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby FSK » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:47 pm

You're never going to make partner anywhere. Don't worry about it.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313600
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: not big law, but...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Jeffer Mangels is 145K (with bonus its not hard to clear 170k there)
Manatt is 125K (not sure on their bonus)

Anyone else feel free to chime in on LA Biglaw (but Midlaw pay)

911 crisis actor

Bronze
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby 911 crisis actor » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
911 crisis actor wrote:Received an on the spot offer during one of my CBs and the partner told me this directly. Thought it was just marketing BS but I asked a family friend who's a partner at a biglaw firm, and he said that their hiring committee splits candidates into partner and non-partner piles, and that offers go to the partner-candidates first, usually within 72 hours after the callback.


Stupidest post I've ever read on TLS. It's laughable that you think firms rely on whether someone was in the "partner pile" when considering that person for partner 8-12 years later. Making partner will be dependent on the quality of your work, your value to the firm, and relationships you have with existing partners.


(Guy who was not a partner track summer associate)

User avatar
goden

Gold
Posts: 2750
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: not big law, but...

Postby goden » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:01 pm

not sure about all these but

Reed Smith
Nixon Peabody
Allen Matkins
Fox Rothschild
Greenberg Glusker
Bryan Cave
Holland & Knight
Ballard Spahr



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.