"Spousal hire" for midsize firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Spousal hire" for midsize firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi TLS,

I need your advice. I'm currently a federal court of appeals clerk on a "prestigious" circuit. I have a job lined up at a mid-size regional litigation powerhouse that I'm really excited about, and the firm is excited about me. My partner is an HYS-grad, former state supreme court and federal appeals court clerk (for a "prestigious" judge), in their second and last year of a litigation fellowship that is highly regarded in this market. We are both very active in the local bar association; people know who we are and my firm knows my partner and likes them.

The relevant problem is this: My partner needs a job for when the fellowship ends. We want to stay where we are, which unfortunately has a small job market. They are pursuing other options, but one of the best jobs would be with *my* firm, which was very eager to hire them last year, when they still had a year of fellowship left. Now, though, the firm doesn't know yet what its need for laterals will be. There is still a good chance, given how competitive my partner's resume is and the fact that their current boss is well-connected there, that the firm will hire them, but not knowing is very stressful under the circumstances.

There are not a ton of job opportunities around here, and ideally I don't want to have to renege on my acceptance of this firm's offer and move out of town if my partner can't find a job here. Would it be: a.) okay b.) inappropriate or c.) fatal to mention in some way to someone in the firm that I trust who has some decision-making clout that I may have to move if my partner does not find employment soon? Many of the lawyers at this place are spouses of local law school professors, and it is a family-oriented place. However, it would suck if my hint either backfired or reflected badly on me as an individual.

Sorry if this is a weird question, but I've lost a lot of sleep worrying about it, and TLS sometimes has a lot of wisdom. Any help you want to give me, I will appreciate greatly. Thank you, TLS.

DELG

Gold

Re: "Spousal hire" for midsize firm?

Post by DELG » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:16 pm

If you have a relationship with a partner, mention to them that your spouse is looking but hasn't landed a permanent offer yet and tell them to think of you if they hear of any needs, and further ask them if there's anyone else you should talk to in town about it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”