Splitting Summer Between 2L SA + Big 4 Tax Internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Splitting Summer Between 2L SA + Big 4 Tax Internship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:58 pm

I have a biglaw SA lined up for the first half of next summer, but have nothing for the second half at this point. Right now I'm set to interview for a tax internship with one of the Big 4 accounting firms in NY.

My question is has anyone personally split their summer with this type of position, or heard of someone who has? I wasn't sure whether this would be allowed. If they do not then this would be great information so I know whether to cancel the interview. I searched these forums and online and couldn't find any relevant information.

Next, assuming the Big 4 would allow a split, would taking this type of position be seen as a negative with the firm I will be with for the first half? I'm planning on going the transactional route and thought I might be able to spin it as gaining relevant experience due to there being tax implications in every deal. I should mention that I plan to go on full time with the firm if I were to get an offer and have no plans to seek out full-time employment with the Big 4 firm. Any thoughts?

Finally, a little unrelated but I haven't found much info on the forums for my last question. I will also be interviewing with a few mid to small firms in my school's second round of OCI. Do firms of this size with summer programs tend to be more willing to split/be flexible with their program?

Thank you for the help.

Anonymous User

Re: Splitting Summer Between 2L SA + Big 4 Tax Internship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Bump. No one?

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:29 pm

I think I remember seeing an old post where someone split between big 4 NY and a gov position, so they probably would let you split.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Does anyone here have experience with a Big 4 tax internship? Is it a solid backup option for someone who struck out from OCI? I think it would be a great experience, but also don't want to close off the door to 3L oci/hiring.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone here have experience with a Big 4 tax internship? Is it a solid backup option for someone who struck out from OCI? I think it would be a great experience, but also don't want to close off the door to 3L oci/hiring.
I don't have experience from the tax side with the Big 4, but I have a lot of friends that did audit. They often were offered positions once their internship ended and it was a lot of valuable experience for them. Although I'm not sure if it would help/hurt at OCI because they were just UGs and not law students.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:45 pm

I'm a 0L but I work in Big4 tax. inb4 0L GTFO of legal employment.

Basically your experience will depend heavily on which service line you work in.

Most lawyers in federal tax hate their lives because they are basically doing tax returns/financial statement audit support (read: boring grunt work). Charge goals are about 1850 a year, although seniors routinely hit 2k.

If you are in M&A support or Washington National Tax, your life is pretty good. You have slightly better hours than biglaw, and you get to use your brain every once in a while.

If you are in international, you have good work life balance, but from what I've seen they have limited opportunities to lateral to in house positions (might be wrong on this one)

You get paid about 70-80k as a big4 lawyer in major markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”