DF Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: You will get 0 substantiv trial experience as BL Lit Associa

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:58 pm

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:Transactional dude who is going to spend all day working with clients and other side's counsel checking in to chortle at how lit people are both bitching because they get no experience while at the same time saying lit people are the only real lawyers.

We might be shitty lawyers, but we are lawyers.

I'll school you in arguing over period placement, bro.

Good to see you challenge yourself.

baal hadad

Gold

Postby baal hadad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:59 pm

patogordo wrote:
baal hadad wrote:Partner just told me my mtn to compel was "good."

As a litigator, this is what I live for

(they produce the documents tomorrow)

Can't wait to take a look at the docs

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:11 pm

I dunno what a motion to compel even is.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

baal hadad

Gold

Postby baal hadad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I dunno what a motion to compel even is.

DF u are so persuasive people just give u all their docs

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:29 pm

baal hadad wrote:

I've never been on a case in discovery.

baal hadad

Gold

Postby baal hadad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

I've never been on a case in discovery.

I'm jelly

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Lawyer version of tattling, complete with pouting.

But it's ok because OC is being a butthead and was mean to you first.

(yes, I realize DF is almost certainly being facetious.)

baal hadad

Gold

Postby baal hadad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:11 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:

Lawyer version of tattling, complete with pouting.

But it's ok because OC is being a butthead and was mean to you first.

(yes, I realize DF is almost certainly being facetious.)

Hey man I need those docs

patogordo

Gold

Postby patogordo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:13 pm

90% of discovery is threatening to tell mom

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Actually I think I had it confused with discovery request.

baal hadad

Gold

Postby baal hadad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Actually I think I had it confused with discovery request.

Mtn to compel is what happens after opposing counsel predictably gives obfuscating and confusing responses to your requests

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:06 pm

baal hadad wrote:

Mtn to compel is what happens after opposing counsel predictably gives obfuscating and confusing responses to your requests

my district judge literally tells me "do whatever you think is right" whenever we get a motion to compel and then barely skims the resulting draft. it's almost as though biglaw partners are so out of touch that they forget the next thing on our docket could be a FOIA request where the government produced 5 docs 2 years late. oh wait, big law partners are that out of touch.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

my district judge literally tells me "do whatever you think is right" whenever we get a motion to compel and then barely skims the resulting draft. it's almost as though biglaw partners are so out of touch that they forget the next thing on our docket could be a FOIA request where the government produced 5 docs 2 years late. oh wait, big law partners are that out of touch.
eh no one thinks discovery disputes are the judges favorite thing to deal with but if the other side won't give you their shit, what else are you supposed to do?

DELG

Gold

Postby DELG » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

you sound like someone who is poised to make a seamless transition from clerking to practice

patogordo

Gold

Postby patogordo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:23 pm

so that brings the total number of people who care about motions to compel to: 0

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:29 pm

DF, how much of this thread is trolling?

I'm only asking because, if it's not trolling, then I'd be seriously concerned about the financial well being of your group and/or firm. The whole "hoarding work" thing was pretty widespread during the recession, but it's gone away at other places where people aren't constantly worried about making hours anymore. If midlevels at your firm feel like they still need to hoard in 2014...that's not good.

patogordo

Gold

Postby patogordo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:31 pm

i don't think he's talking about hoarding hours so much as hoarding valuable/substantive work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:35 pm

DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

you sound like someone who is poised to make a seamless transition from clerking to practice

sadly i was already there. as the prestigious fifth chair of a trial team where the ninth year associate got to "argue" our frivolous motions in limine, bullshit jury instructions, and defend irrelevant TTT witness depos, i can confirm the contents of this thread are 100% accurate. oh and the fanciest senior partner got schooled by a bunch of shitlawyers because it turns out juries like biglaw partners even less than most lawyers do.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:39 pm

patogordo wrote:i don't think he's talking about hoarding hours so much as hoarding valuable/substantive work

Hmm, yeah I reread his post and I guess that makes sense.

I guess I'm concerned still because the whole description by DF conflicts with my own experience - and seems borderline made up, like when he claimed to have never seen a case in discovery, despite working biglaw lit for a whole year - so I can't help but wonder if there's some serious trolling going on.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:39 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:DF, how much of this thread is trolling?

I'm only asking because, if it's not trolling, then I'd be seriously concerned about the financial well being of your group and/or firm. The whole "hoarding work" thing was pretty widespread during the recession, but it's gone away at other places where people aren't constantly worried about making hours anymore. If midlevels at your firm feel like they still need to hoard in 2014...that's not good.

Good advice, freshly minted JD. Are you available to mentor biglaw associates, or do you need to wait until bar results come in?

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Good advice, freshly minted JD. Are you available to mentor biglaw associates, or do you need to wait until bar results come in?

Dude, DF is claiming to have worked in biglaw lit for a whole year and yet to have never seen discovery. That's either (1) a unicorn experience, (2) hyperbole of the sort that misleads law students, or (3) outright trolling.

Knowing it's DF, 2 and 3 seem most likely, and both are unhelpful in a on-topic forum where this shit will get taken seriously.

But hey, if you're so lost in your life that you're looking to chat boards for career mentors, I'd be happy to help.

tww909

Bronze

Postby tww909 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:53 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Dude, DF is claiming to have worked in biglaw lit for a whole year and yet to have never seen discovery. That's either (1) a unicorn experience, (2) hyperbole of the sort that misleads law students, or (3) outright trolling.

Knowing it's DF, 2 and 3 seem most likely, and both are unhelpful in a on-topic forum where this shit will get taken seriously.

But hey, if you're so lost in your life that you're looking to chat boards for career mentor, I'd be happy to help.

Other than shitty QC doc review I was never involved in discovery through almost my entire first year. Never wrote RFPs, never answered interrogs, etc.. Actual substantive discovery work seemed to be the province of the midlevels.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:58 pm

But that's the point - you did doc review. If you look at page 2 DF is claiming he doesn't even do that.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Serious question: Who fucking cares if DF did doc review? In the context of this thread, if we've devolved into arguing about whether an associate actually got any doc review in his first year as "substantive trial experience," then I'd say the point of the thread has already been made. Otherwise we'd be discussing others' more substantive experiences.

sideroxylon

Gold

Postby sideroxylon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:12 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:Serious question: Who fucking cares if DF did doc review? In the context of this thread, if we've devolved into arguing about whether an associate actually got any doc review in his first year as "substantive trial experience," then I'd say the point of the thread has already been made. Otherwise we'd be discussing others' more substantive experiences.

you seem kinda dumb

Return to “Legal Employment?