Polsinelli Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Polsinelli

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Can anyone provide any info or insider knowledge on them? I've got an offer for one of their non-Kansas City offices outside the mid-west, but it's hard to get a read on them since they're sort of an up and coming firm. I know healthcare is their thing, but I'm not sure how they fare beyond that.

Anonymous User

Re: Polsinelli

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Also in the same situation. From what I can tell, they're doing very well for a up and coming firm. They're more flexible with timing but the downside is that the work is a bit scrappy because you get stuck dealing with a lot of small plaintiff side firms with attorneys that really need more polish

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:34 pm

OP

Do you think that translates into more substantive work for young associates? It also doesn't seem like, outside of healthcare, they do much high-level work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 pm

This is relevant to my interests as well. Any insight on the firm (culture, etc.), its reputation, work life, and long-term impact/prospects from working there? I'm not finding much on them online. Thanks to anyone who can provide more info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:10 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:05 am

Most of their growth (even inside their original footprint of Missouri) has come by acquiring other firms. There will be virtually zero cultural overlap between Rafuse Hill & Hodges (Atlanta, acquired 12/2013) and their Dallas office (opened with 3 attorneys in 2011; up to 31 now, over half of which are partners and many lateraled over from various other firms) or their Denver office (swallowed up at least one Denver firm).

That said, they've been candid about their growth strategy in various industry publications. They snag health care partners from other firms by selling them on lower cost midwest associate labor to get bigger health care deals.

In at least some offices, you're given an offer to a specific practice group and you're stuck with it. I know of more than one case where the practice group wasn't chosen until well after 3L OCI ended. Not sure if this is common practice, but you probably want to ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:31 pm

What's the culture like in the KC office?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Never heard of this firm but their benefits are lulzy:
In addition, Polsinelli offers unique benefits that underscore its appreciation for the effort of its newer attorneys. After five years with the firm, associates are eligible to take an “associate sabbatical.” The firm provides two weeks paid vacation with two round trip airline tickets, plus $7,500 spending money. The billable hour target is reduced to 1,825 from 1,900 for the year. One year after passing the bar, the firm provides monthly cell phone service for associates. Depending on location, the firm also pays for associate parking or provides a transportation allowance.
The fact that they highlight this stuff as a selling point suggests that this is not a great place to work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Does anyone know how their compensation structure works? There is little information on them online

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:49 pm

I interviewed with their KC office during law school. They asked me a lot about golf. I said I didn't play a whole lot of golf. The first interviewer, while taking me to the next interviewer, had me pop over to meet another partner, at which time the two attorneys talked about golf and talked to me about which country clubs they belonged to. I felt pretty uncomfortable and out of place. I did not receive an offer. I hold nothing against them -- they have a certain culture and I clearly didn't fit in. In many places this is probably common place, but Polsinelli was the only place in KC I interviewed, or anywhere in the midwest for that matter, where I got the vibe that you had to be in the cool kids club to work there. A few weekends ago I drove by their new building (which is very nice, I might add) on a Friday night at about 9 PM. Multiple lights on, with multiple individuals in their offices working. It wasn't for me (and I wasn't for them), but I think the right person would love it there. This is all purely anecdotal but I thought I would share.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”