Recruiter Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recruiter Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey guys if a recruiter gives you a list of firms that you can apply to. Is it unethical for you to not use the recruiter and apply by yourself? I would believe so but I was just checking what other people thing.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: Recruiter Question

Postby JusticeJackson » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DELG

Gold

Postby DELG » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:52 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:It's probably unethical. They'd also probably blow up the deal later if they found out you went around them, potentially jeopardizing your employment.

Once a recruiter sent me a firm name in an unsolicited mass e-mail. I politely declined, and for some reason explained "also, I know [person X] head of [department y, which the firm was soliciting for] very wall, and since he didn't call me directly, I doubt I'm what they're looking for." I was really just trying to be nice about turning the position down by letting her know that submitting me would be a waste of her time. She interpreted my e-mail to mean that I would be going behind her back and calling my contact, and she sent me a typo-ridden e-mail telling me I am unethical and she’d blow up the deal if I tried to go behind her back. Ha.

Oh recruiters.

mickey0004

New

Postby mickey0004 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Who are these recruiters everyone keeps talking about? Not looking to lateral now, but would like to start the conversation with headhunters for 1-2 years down the road.

Also, is there any reason why I am not getting any calls, whereas other associates my year are getting calls constantly?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment?