Mulling. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Morgan + Bingham (NY) v. Greenberg (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:33 pm

big-law bubble is going to burst in a couple of years. You heard it hear first. Bad deal for ML, good deal for Bingham.

In terms of changing anything, I don't think it does...Would still avoid Bingham if you could.

Anonymous User

Re: Mulling things over, thanks.

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Yeah, it's probably a great idea to join a firm that is going through a merger as the weaker player, with far less leverage. It's not like SAs will be first on the chopping block or anything.

In all seriousness, it seems as though you have your mind made up and keep making excuses to join Bingham. Quite frankly, it's an idiotic idea, and we've all tried to tell you.

GO TO S&K!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:52 pm

I'd be maybe more afraid now of Bingham- like above poster said. Id still choose S&K easily- much more job security, less pressure at trying not to be the next one cut at these struggling firms, better hours likely.

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:01 am

Seward is the obvious choice, pretty shocking he he took it out of the op.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:30 am

Dude, no. Lol at thinking that this changes anything. You very well could be deemed redundant before you ever begin your associateship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 am

sundance95 wrote:Dude, no. Lol at thinking that this changes anything. You very well could be deemed redundant before you ever begin your associateship.
This. There is a legitimate chance they could cancel the SA program due to the need to work out the merger and cut costs, especially where Bingham is the sinking ship that MLB is saving. Yes, they may give commits some stupid stipend for their "troubles," but joining Bingham, ESPECIALLY after the confirmed merger, is a terrible, terrible career decision.

You should choose S&K without the slightest hesitation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP.

Baked Botts now in the mix. Does that trump all?
Naw I'd go w Seward rather than the ny outpost of some tx firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 pm

baal hadad wrote:

Seward > BB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Greenberg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bingham+Morgan

Look. I understand the appeal of Bingham. I had a CB with them and loved the firm. But offer rates should be the most important consideration on your decision. Having a crappy summer is bad, but having a great summer and no offer is infinitely worse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

Seward > BB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Greenberg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bingham+Morgan

Look. I understand the appeal of Bingham. I had a CB with them and loved the firm. But offer rates should be the most important consideration on your decision. Having a crappy summer is bad, but having a great summer and no offer is infinitely worse.
Also loved my CB there, but thank god I don't have to work there.

Anonymous User

Re: Morgan + Bingham (NY) v. Greenberg (NY) v. BAKER BOTTS (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Looks like Baker Botts no-offered someone last summer. Is there a story there or is maintaining a 100% offer rate in NY not something they're concerned with?

Pikappraider

Gold

Re: Morgan + Bingham (NY) v. Greenberg (NY) v. BAKER BOTTS (NY)

Post by Pikappraider » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Sounds like op is no longer considering his best option (Seward) presumably because of vault prestige so I guess go with gt. I'd avoid Bingham at all costs and I'd rather be at Greenberg rather than a Texas NYC outpost but seriously just go to seward

Anonymous User

Re: Mulling.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:30 pm

do not get caught up with vault ratings. seward is the clear choice here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:29 pm

OP is in the fight of his life to find a reason to turn down Seward other than BUT IT'S NOT VAULT THO.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:29 pm

This thread is ridiculous. Why is it still alive?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 pm

tls needs closure, okay?

Anonymous User

Re: Greenberg Traurig v. Bingham McCutchen

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:01 pm

wwwcol wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Echoing Bingham's sinking ship.

I've heard GT being sketchy about it's payment scales/working their associates to the bone (looking now for source). I interviewed with GT myself and kinda got that feel from the young associates.

Know someone who works at S&K and absolutely loves it and has said that job security is definitely solid there.
I summered at GT, but ended up accepting a full time offer elsewhere. Very happy. All associate work is sweat shop work. If you think any different, you're kidding yourself. The problem with GT is that there is no transparency. There were no billable hour goals. Partners would say that your job is to learn, but no one I talked to billed less than 2400/year, everyone was constantly anxious, and even shareholders would complain about the lack of pay scheme clarity. At first, I questioned my choice to jump ship, but every day I'm more pleased about the decision. Just my $.02.
Holy shit that sounds terrible
True, but having a $160k job you hate is better than being unemployed, which seems to be a much more likely outcome if Op summers at Bingham
Former GT summer here. I understand. I just don't get all of the doom and gloom unemployment on this site. Maybe I didn't live in reality, but after I decided to look outside of GT, I didn't have any problems finding other great jobs that pay comparable to GT (no, I didn't go to HYS. not even close...). Why couldn't OP take a summer job somewhere, see if they like it/it likes them, and then adjust the plan accordingly? That's what I did. Just because a place isn't 100% offer rate, doesn't mean you'll be unemployed (FYI, GT isn't 100% either).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”