Mulling. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Seward & Kissel v. Greenberg Traurig v. Bingham McCutchen

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would take Bingham and hope that they merge soon with Morgan Lewis.
In the off chance that you're being serious, go away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 pm

I wouldn't take Seward off the table if GT is known for no-offering people on the reg. At least Seward does 100% offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if we took Seward off the table (the more I read about it, the less I think I want to do any of the work they do), y'all would recommend Greenberg.

The risk there is that they no-offer. So I guess I'll just be conscious of that going in and bust ass over the summer?
I'm starting to think maybe you aren't cut out for BigLaw. 99% of the struggle is doing things you don't want to do...so the sooner you come to terms with that, the sooner you'll choose Seward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if we took Seward off the table (the more I read about it, the less I think I want to do any of the work they do), y'all would recommend Greenberg.

The risk there is that they no-offer. So I guess I'll just be conscious of that going in and bust ass over the summer?
Tell me, what kind of work do you "want" to do? What's wrong with Seward & Kissel's practices? How do you envision life as a S&K associate differing from life at GT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Anecdote, but in my SewKis cb a guy said to "Im in shipping, and haven't gone home before 1am since january." Good & bad in that

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Look, it sounds like you already have your own ideas, so I don't know how valuable this thread is.

Don't go to Bingham. Between S&K and GT take your pick, but the safer choice is S&K and in your own words:
Anonymous User wrote:
  • I'm very risk averse with this, so job security is probably my #1 consideration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm

What are the rumors about Morgan Lewis being in trouble about?

WHJTMG178

New

Post by WHJTMG178 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 pm

Might be a bad idea to mention that you are disapointed in your options when s&k and GT both have tiny summer classes. How many offerees from Colorado can there possibly be? For your own sake I would delete.
Last edited by WHJTMG178 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 pm

The bingham merger is problematic because those firms have very different leverage ratios and there is a far greater chance of them downsizing then the otherels

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:08 pm

WHJTMG178 wrote:Might be a bad idea to mention that you are disapointed in your options when s&k and GT both have tiny summer classes. How many offerees from Colorado can there possibly be? For your own sake I would delete.
OP here.

I thought the same thing, so I changed the information in the OP so that it doesn't actually reflect my background in any identifiable way. I'm not actually from Colorado, but it's analogous to my home state as far as what I think the legal market there is like. Also note that the people responding are the ones who think the offers aren't great, not me. I'm really happy with my options and am just trying to augment the information I have before I decide. I appreciate the concern though.

Anonymous User

Re: Greenberg Traurig v. Bingham McCutchen

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Echoing Bingham's sinking ship.

I've heard GT being sketchy about it's payment scales/working their associates to the bone (looking now for source). I interviewed with GT myself and kinda got that feel from the young associates.

Know someone who works at S&K and absolutely loves it and has said that job security is definitely solid there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Echoing Bingham's sinking ship.

I've heard GT being sketchy about it's payment scales/working their associates to the bone (looking now for source). I interviewed with GT myself and kinda got that feel from the young associates.

Know someone who works at S&K and absolutely loves it and has said that job security is definitely solid there.
I summered at GT, but ended up accepting a full time offer elsewhere. Very happy. All associate work is sweat shop work. If you think any different, you're kidding yourself. The problem with GT is that there is no transparency. There were no billable hour goals. Partners would say that your job is to learn, but no one I talked to billed less than 2400/year, everyone was constantly anxious, and even shareholders would complain about the lack of pay scheme clarity. At first, I questioned my choice to jump ship, but every day I'm more pleased about the decision. Just my $.02.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Post by 911 crisis actor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:46 pm

FYI the infamous Dennis Block is at GT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:54 pm

911 crisis actor wrote:FYI the infamous Dennis Block is at GT.
Why is he infamous?

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I summered at GT, but ended up accepting a full time offer elsewhere. Very happy. All associate work is sweat shop work. If you think any different, you're kidding yourself. The problem with GT is that there is no transparency. There were no billable hour goals. Partners would say that your job is to learn, but no one I talked to billed less than 2400/year, everyone was constantly anxious, and even shareholders would complain about the lack of pay scheme clarity. At first, I questioned my choice to jump ship, but every day I'm more pleased about the decision. Just my $.02.
Holy shit that sounds terrible

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:58 pm

baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

True, but having a $160k job you hate is better than being unemployed, which seems to be a much more likely outcome if Op summers at Bingham

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:06 pm

wwwcol wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

True, but having a $160k job you hate is better than being unemployed, which seems to be a much more likely outcome if Op summers at Bingham
Which is why I told him Seward for sure

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Post by 911 crisis actor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
911 crisis actor wrote:FYI the infamous Dennis Block is at GT.
Why is he infamous?
Google Dennis Block and 'screamer' or 'yeller' or just 'stories' etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are the rumors about Morgan Lewis being in trouble about?

yes, can someone elaborate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:35 pm

baal hadad wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Which is why I told him Seward for sure
OP dropping Seward from the thread/consideration is a HUGE mistake. Seward is the clear choice between a sinking ship (Bingham) and a known sweatshop (GT).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Re: Mulling things over, thanks.

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:48 am

Not clear on why Seward isn't more popular. So many people bitch about how hard it is to differentiate firms, but Seward actually is strong in a few specialty areas that only a handful of other firms even touch. They're also one of only a few firms who can actually back on the work-life balance line that's bullshit at most other places. I got told variations of "It would be weird for me to miss dinner with my family" and "I call my wife to tell her I'll be late if I have to work past 7:00" and I actually believed them. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'd guess most S&K associates bill under 2,000 a year. Seward does well at the things law students claim to want (substantive opportunity, a life outside of work) and comparatively less well at the things law students actually want (prestige, prestige and prestige). Consequently, students cross them off their list to decide between a firm with probably one of the ten or fifteen worst sweatshop reputations in Biglaw and a firm in such bad shape it needs to get bought out to avoid bankruptcy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:50 am

To pile on, career services at my T6 explicitly counseled people not to go to Bingham due to the risk (which is weird, because this was at OCI where they were interviewing).

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:To pile on, career services at my T6 explicitly counseled people not to go to Bingham due to the risk (which is weird, because this was at OCI where they were interviewing).
Probably a "better than nothing" sort of deal. I mean, it's fine to take Bingham if that's all you have

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”