Worth it to mass-mail DC? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worth it to mass-mail DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Currently offerless and essentially done mass-mailing anywhere i had some sort of tie. I have no ties to DE but I guess w/ an interest in corporate work i was able to score an upcoming CB and screener. Is it worth massmailing DC as well? It's late in the game and I know its a tough market to crack. I have literally no ties though and I guess would just try to get bites through my political background (not too extensive though) and emphasis on litigating in the center of our government. I know that's bs but thats the only thing I can do.

basically, is it just a large waste of time or should i actually try?

FSK

Platinum

Re: Worth it to mass-mail DC?

Post by FSK » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Yes, unless you can spend your time in a more productive way towards getting a job.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:57 pm

It can't hurt, but if you haven't already mass mailed all of NYC, I'd do that first.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:01 pm

I guess there's really nothing else i can do at the moment...besides like drink my sorrows away

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:05 pm

My only offer came from mass-mailing DC, and I was extended a callback invitation at a DC firm just last Thursday. So yes, it's potentially worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My only offer came from mass-mailing DC, and I was extended a callback invitation at a DC firm just last Thursday. So yes, it's potentially worth it.
send me some of your skill/luck pls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Original anon here. I received an expectedly high amount of rejections, but received a cb from it. I can't believe i wasn't going to try. Thanks tls :)

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Original anon here. I received an expectedly high amount of rejections, but received a cb from it. I can't believe i wasn't going to try. Thanks tls :)
Good luck, playa.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 pm

What are some DC firms worth mass mailing this late in the process?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are some DC firms worth mass mailing this late in the process?
All of them. Did you read the thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:37 am

North wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are some DC firms worth mass mailing this late in the process?
Where can I find a list?

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
North wrote:
Where can I find a list?
I'm not sure if you're serious, but NALPdirectory.com.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:34 pm

North wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
North wrote:
Where can I find a list?
I meant a list I didn't need to sift through, but thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:42 pm

The fact you're adverse to looking through a list may be indicative of your current situation

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Na, my current situation is purely the result of my poor interview skills, which I didn't get lessons for until late in the process because I didn't realize how bad they were.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:04 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"][quote="North"][quote="Anonymous User"][quote="North"][quote="Anonymous User"]What are some DC firms worth mass mailing this late in the process?[/quote]
All of them. Did you read the thread.[/quote]

Where can I find a list?[/quote]
I'm not sure if you're serious, but NALPdirectory.com.[/quote]

I meant a list I didn't need to sift through, but thanks.[/quote]

Nobody is just going to make you a list of DC firms to mad mail. Now is not the time to be lazy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:22 pm

I thought there might have been one out there already. My bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
North wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
North wrote: All of them. Did you read the thread.
Where can I find a list?
I meant a list I didn't need to sift through, but thanks.
Are you kidding? Your lazy unemployed ass shouldn't find the need to sift to be a barrier. That said, don't even sift. Apply to every single one of them. It doesn't matter if they've already seen your application and rejected you (assuming that's your reservation), let them reject you again. Who cares.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Did not mean to tick you off so much. I'm trying to efficiently split my time between catching up on reading for class, prepping for other callbacks, and mass mailing. Mass mailing firms that hire 1 or 0 summer associates just isn't an efficient use of time.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:08 pm

While not a perfect correlation, you can sort the NALP list by office size.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:12 pm

That's a good idea. It's refreshing to read a comment on here that isn't trying to attack someone or insult them. Thank you.

I really need to keep up with class this semester, though. If I don't end up at a firm I like this coming summer, I want to keep up my grades to upgrade during 3L OCI. That's a thing, right? (I mean, if I learn how to interview well between now and then.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did not mean to tick you off so much. I'm trying to efficiently split my time between catching up on reading for class, prepping for other callbacks, and mass mailing. Mass mailing firms that hire 1 or 0 summer associates just isn't an efficient use of time.
You can definitely sort NALP by firms that hire 1Ls, you might be able to do it for 2Ls as well

Btw even if they say they don't take SAs I'd throw them an app anyway, doesn't take much time. Just do those last.

Also, doing anything school related isn't a very good use of your time right now, I would focus everything on the job search.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did not mean to tick you off so much. I'm trying to efficiently split my time between catching up on reading for class, prepping for other callbacks, and mass mailing. Mass mailing firms that hire 1 or 0 summer associates just isn't an efficient use of time.
You can definitely sort NALP by firms that hire 1Ls, you might be able to do it for 2Ls as well

Btw even if they say they don't take SAs I'd throw them an app anyway, doesn't take much time. Just do those last.

Also, doing anything school related isn't a very good use of your time right now, I would focus everything on the job search.
True, but I'm really hoping something comes from the four firms I'm waiting on and three callbacks I have next week. And when I mass mail, I get super stressed and think back to the top firms with huge CB to offer ratios who callbacks I screwed up due to awful interview skills, and I mean awful. I waited too long to get taught how to interview properly, because I didn't think I was horrific. :(

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I don't end up at a firm I like this coming summer, I want to keep up my grades to upgrade during 3L OCI. That's a thing, right? (I mean, if I learn how to interview well between now and then.)
Not really. 3L OCI is largely for people with offers from their 2L firms looking to trade up. See:
rad lulz wrote:Keep in mind 3L OCI for the last year yielded a total of 82 offers TOTAL at NALP firms

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:20 pm

North wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I don't end up at a firm I like this coming summer, I want to keep up my grades to upgrade during 3L OCI. That's a thing, right? (I mean, if I learn how to interview well between now and then.)
Not really. 3L OCI is largely for people with offers from their 2L firms looking to trade up. See:
rad lulz wrote:Keep in mind 3L OCI for the last year yielded a total of 82 offers TOTAL at NALP firms
Hence, "upgrade." Grades will also get me in the door for a federal clerkship, which is another route to a top firm. I'm not about to forfeit that opportunity.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”