Vinson & Elkins (NYC), Baker Botts (NYC), Seward&Kissel Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Vinson & Elkins (NYC), Baker Botts (NYC), Seward&Kissel

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Idk which one is the best. Practice area preference, I'm pretty flexible. Any insight appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Vinson & Elkins (NYC), Baker Botts (NYC), Seward&Kissel

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Idk which one is the best. Practice area preference, I'm pretty flexible. Any insight appreciated.
If flexible I think I'd cross off Seward. I think they're mostly corporate. If you don't know now, you probably won't know this summer. The summers I got to know well at my firm who did not know early on into the summer weren't sure at the end of it, but picked what felt best for them. This is to say that you're probably not going to know at the end of the summer either. I would therefore go with the firm that is the best collectively, and ideally one that uses a rotational system for first years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:26 pm

If you want hedge fund work or to do shipping financings, Seward is good. Also the people there seemed generally nice. If you want something else, maybe go elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:29 pm

OP here. I should mention that when I said flexible, I meant general transactional/corp. flexible. I don't want litigation. I also think hedge fund work would be pretty cool but if someone can give me some specific insight what this entails I would appreciate it.

also I keep reading seward is a "lifestyle firm" and have better hours than other nyc firms. not sure if that means there's not enough work to go around or it's not a sweatshop like some other nyc firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I should mention that when I said flexible, I meant general transactional/corp. flexible. I don't want litigation. I also think hedge fund work would be pretty cool but if someone can give me some specific insight what this entails I would appreciate it.

also I keep reading seward is a "lifestyle firm" and have better hours than other nyc firms. not sure if that means there's not enough work to go around or it's not a sweatshop like some other nyc firms.
The feeling I got was that it was a bit less. That said, the pay scale is a bit compressed compared to other NYC firms and your health insurance will be more expensive.

Seems like there are good opportunities to go in house at hedge funds. I think they do a lot of fund formation and handle the transactions as well.

The shipping financing practice has a lot to do with the very weird risks involved in insuring shipments over sea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I should mention that when I said flexible, I meant general transactional/corp. flexible. I don't want litigation. I also think hedge fund work would be pretty cool but if someone can give me some specific insight what this entails I would appreciate it.

The feeling I got was that it was a bit less. That said, the pay scale is a bit compressed compared to other NYC firms and your health insurance will be more expensive.

Seems like there are good opportunities to go in house at hedge funds. I think they do a lot of fund formation and handle the transactions as well.

The shipping financing practice has a lot to do with the very weird risks involved in insuring shipments over sea.
op here. what do you mean when you say "a bit less"? also what are the exit options at BB and V&E (NY)? are partnership prospects there attainable? what about at Seward?

I think BB is slightly less attractive because they had 5 summers this summer and only offered 4 of them... V&E and Seward had 100%

KFC

New

Post by KFC » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:51 am

Colonel Sanders here. Although I would love to have you in our next years chicken practice, you should speak to Career Services.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:48 pm

I don't know much about Seward, but I took another NY offer over BB NY. Starting my career at a small satellite office known to no-offer didn't seem like the best idea. I feel like V&E might be the same, but didn't actually interview with them.

sideroxylon

Gold

Post by sideroxylon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:50 pm

KFC wrote:Colonel Sanders here. Although I would love to have you in our next years chicken practice, you should speak to Career Services.
follow this man's advice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

op here. what do you mean when you say "a bit less"? also what are the exit options at BB and V&E (NY)? are partnership prospects there attainable? what about at Seward?

I think BB is slightly less attractive because they had 5 summers this summer and only offered 4 of them... V&E and Seward had 100%
I mean it it felt like the hours were better than most other NYC corporate practices.

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What is the compression at Seward? I thought they paid lockstep

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Pikappraider wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What is the compression at Seward? I thought they paid lockstep
It is lockstep, but I was told that the increases get smaller compared to most other firms. About 15k difference by 4th or 5th year IIRC, don't know how much after that.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:40 pm

I'd take the actual NYC firm over the satellites

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:59 pm

baal hadad wrote:I'd take the actual NYC firm over the satellites
Same, although the compression is a little bit of a drag. According to vault they pay market in years 1-3, couldn't find data on 4-7. I'd still take Seward though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Not any of these tx firms.

source: worked at a v&e satellite in a non tx major market, and I know a ton of bb bros.

Caveat: Great firms in tx, outside you will be marginalized forever.

yoyo1234

New

Post by yoyo1234 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not any of these tx firms.

source: worked at a v&e satellite in a non tx major market, and I know a ton of bb bros.

Caveat: Great firms in tx, outside you will be marginalized forever.
hey so do you think you can pm me about your perspective? I would really appreciate it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”