Do Vault rankings correlate with exit options? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do Vault rankings correlate with exit options?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm deciding between an offer at a V4 and a V15, both NYC. Interested in corporate. I like the V15 a lot more and think I'd be happier there long-term, but I really have no desire to work at either firm longer than 5 years.

In this case, would it be a bad idea to choose the V15 over the V4? Is it reasonable to assume the V4 would have better exit options? If not, how do I find this information out?

Pikappraider

Gold

Re: Do Vault rankings correlate with exit options?

Post by Pikappraider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm deciding between an offer at a V4 and a V15, both NYC. Interested in corporate. I like the V15 a lot more and think I'd be happier there long-term, but I really have no desire to work at either firm longer than 5 years.

In this case, would it be a bad idea to choose the V15 over the V4? Is it reasonable to assume the V4 would have better exit options? If not, how do I find this information out?
lol at v4

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm deciding between an offer at a V4 and a V15, both NYC. Interested in corporate. I like the V15 a lot more and think I'd be happier there long-term, but I really have no desire to work at either firm longer than 5 years.

Enjoy SullCrom.

Edit: Don't enjoy SullCrom. Go where you think you'll be happy.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 pm

They do correlate. The vault rankings are directly correlated to the investment banks. If you go to Wachtell you can basically exit to any investment bank. But if you choose Cravath, then Blackstone group is out of the question.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:12 pm

mvp99 wrote:They do correlate. The vault rankings are directly correlated to the investment banks. If you go to Wachtell you can basically exit to any investment bank. But if you choose Cravath, then Blackstone group is out of the question.
Correct. Although, as a general proposition, vault rankings cleanly correlate with exit options, one notable exception is Schutle, which leads to exit options that are equal to (or better than) the ones you would have coming out of WLRK.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Post by Man from Nantucket » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:34 pm

rpupkin wrote:
mvp99 wrote:They do correlate. The vault rankings are directly correlated to the investment banks. If you go to Wachtell you can basically exit to any investment bank. But if you choose Cravath, then Blackstone group is out of the question.
Correct. Although, as a general proposition, vault rankings cleanly correlate with exit options, one notable exception is Schutle, which leads to exit options that are equal to (or better than) the ones you would have coming out of WLRK.
Schulte or bust

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:01 pm

If you definitely want to do corporate, Skadden/Cravath/Sullcrom will probably do you better than Latham, GDC PW.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:07 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If you definitely want to do corporate, Skadden/Cravath/Sullcrom will probably do you better than Latham, GDC PW.
But Skadden isn't V4. So strike Skadden and substitute Schulte.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Are Cravath exit options materially different from KE's exit options in Chicago or Latham's exit options in LA? Corporate. I have no idea what I want in life so I just want to be flexible and have options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:15 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:If you definitely want to do corporate, Skadden/Cravath/Sullcrom will probably do you better than Latham, GDC PW.
TLS is going to singlehandedly be responsibly for bumping up Schulte at least 50 points in the next Vault Poll

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Slightly off-topic, but in terms of sheer prestige ( I know nothing about exit options) I think people should emphasize V15 instead of V10 - I fail to see how Covington and GDC are less prestigious than Kirkland.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:21 pm

TFALAWL wrote:Slightly off-topic, but in terms of sheer prestige ( I know nothing about exit options) I think people should emphasize V15 instead of V10 - I fail to see how Covington and GDC are less prestigious than Kirkland.
MARKET SHATTERING BONUSES are easily worth that V9, tho. Bro what are you talking about

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:22 pm

TFALAWL wrote:Slightly off-topic, but in terms of sheer prestige ( I know nothing about exit options) I think people should emphasize V15 instead of V10 - I fail to see how Covington and GDC are less prestigious than Kirkland.
GDC is equivalent in prestige to Kirkland. Covington might as well be V50.

HTH

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:26 pm

we all know it's v1 > V2-7 > V8 is actually v15 > Schulte > V9-etc.

sincerely, MVP99
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:we all know it's v1 > V2-7 > V8 is actually v15 > Schulte > V9-etc.
Tbh I feel it should be more bifurcated... V1-10+Schulte if in hedgefund group > V11-40 > Schulte if not

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:

Honest question: why so much Skadden hate on TLS?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:we all know it's v1 > V2-7 > V8 is actually v15 > Schulte > V9-etc.
Tbh I feel it should be more bifurcated... V1-10+Schulte if in hedgefund group > V11-40 > Schulte if not
Thanks for your honesty. I think, however, you undervalue Schulte's influence in the hedge fund world. To illustrate, there's a joke that's been making the rounds in the elite hedge fund circles in which I travel:

Q: What do you call a third-year associate at Schulte?

A: in-house counsel at Goldman Sachs!

Try that same joke using another firm--say, a V4 or a V7--and it just doesn't work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Honest question: why so much Skadden hate on TLS?
Because Skadden is such a sweatshop that its associates don't have time to engage in pro-Skadden trolling on TLS.

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Post by Man from Nantucket » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are Cravath exit options materially different from KE's exit options in Chicago or Latham's exit options in LA? Corporate. I have no idea what I want in life so I just want to be flexible and have options.
All Schulte, all the time.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:

Because we all turned down Skadden for either Cravath or Schulte.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:

First, I'm pretty sure AMG was making a Schulte troll joke, not seriously digging Skadden. Second, it's not really "hate," just a projection of the same exclusivity-obsession that dominates this board. Skadden's a huge firm and it receives a higher vault ranking than its perceived selectivity would otherwise suggest. And third, yea, people have died of overworking in Skadden offices and it kind of represents "big law" in all its sweatshop monstrosity, even though I highly doubt its worse than the other firms in its tier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:40 pm

What exactly do hedge fund lawyers do? Is it the same as capital markets because if so I have no idea why hedge fund work is considered sexy

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Rahviveh wrote:What exactly do hedge fund lawyers do? Is it the same as capital markets because if so I have no idea why hedge fund work is considered sexy
If you have to ask this question then you would never understand the answer. It's like taking the most prestigious elements of law, the most prestigious elements of finance, and then mixing the two together into an exit-option elixir.

WHJTMG178

New

Post by WHJTMG178 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:What exactly do hedge fund lawyers do? Is it the same as capital markets because if so I have no idea why hedge fund work is considered sexy
If you have to ask this question then you would never understand the answer. It's like taking the most prestigious elements of law, the most prestigious elements of finance, and then mixing the two together into an exit-option elixir.
Who are Schulte's peer firms in HF work?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:50 pm

WHJTMG178 wrote: Who are Schulte's peer firms in HF work?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/peerless

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”