Hiring Committee meets today. Good news arrives by ____ ? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hiring Committee meets today. Good news arrives by ____ ?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:32 am

A recruiter advised that the next meeting of the hiring committee is today. (Didn't catch time of day.) She intimated, further, that she'd "have an update on [my] candidacy" soon thereafter.

Insofar as conventional wisdom exists for this sort of thing, how soon might one expect to hear -- if it's good news -- after a hiring committee convenes? Are we thinking the same day? Before close-of-business the following day?

(There's no one left to mass mail, so I'm moved on to tea leaves.)

Actus Reus

Bronze

Re: Hiring Committee meets today. Good news arrives by ____ ?

Post by Actus Reus » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:A recruiter advised that the next meeting of the hiring committee is today. (Didn't catch time of day.) She intimated, further, that she'd "have an update on [my] candidacy" soon thereafter.

Insofar as conventional wisdom exists for this sort of thing, how soon might one expect to hear -- if it's good news -- after a hiring committee convenes? Are we thinking the same day? Before close-of-business the following day?

(There's no one left to mass mail, so I'm moved on to tea leaves.)
Tea leaves. There's always more people to mail. They'll call you when they call you.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:01 pm

On first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east.

Mredav44

New

Post by Mredav44 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:On first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:19 pm

At my firm, either get good news today. Or bad news in the mail 3-4 days later.

enibs

Bronze

Post by enibs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:34 am

The Hiring Committee can do one of three things. They can authorize an offer, they can ding you or they can put you on hold. If they authorize an offer, you should hear by phone the same day or next day, depending on how late in the day they meet and how busy the person calling you is. If they ding you, you should get an email ding within the next few days (though some firms do this by snail mail). If they put you on hold, then you won't get a call and you won't get a ding until they decide what to do with you. Which may be a few more days or may be longer.

So you may hear sooner or you may hear later. If you have an imminent offer deadline from another firm, you should let them know. Otherwise, just be patient.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”