What do people mean by dream firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seal

New

Re: What do people mean by dream firm?

Post by seal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:18 pm

-
Last edited by seal on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:25 pm

DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1. It is annoying as hell and not helpful in the slightest. I worked my ass off for 3 years prior to law school at a startup and averaged 60k a year. 160k for slightly longer hours sounds pretty fucking good. The whole "woe is me I am in the top 2% of income and have to work hard" attitude is entitled and childish.

we get it. you work in big law and work a lot of hours. no need to keep alluding to it in every other thread.
I don't think I have ever, ever complained about my hours on here. The hours are not what makes it suck. I don't know how many times I have to say that, but that's not the thing that makes it suck.
so what makes it suck that is not common to every other white collar high pressure job? Genuinely curious as I have friends in every comparable industry who work similar hours for much less pay (except for a few IB friends, fuck them) and they all hate work too. Its work. My doctor friends seem to like it finally but they hated it during residency and med school, probably much more so than law students.

The only people I can think of who are loving it are my friends who either fell into a big family business or one person I know who is crushing with a start up.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:26 pm

seal wrote:What about elite boutiques like Susman/Keker/Bartlit/Kellogg?
Like I said, the most prefstiogous firm you can get into.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

seal

New

Post by seal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:32 pm

-
Last edited by seal on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Pikappraider wrote:
DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1. It is annoying as hell and not helpful in the slightest. I worked my ass off for 3 years prior to law school at a startup and averaged 60k a year. 160k for slightly longer hours sounds pretty fucking good. The whole "woe is me I am in the top 2% of income and have to work hard" attitude is entitled and childish.

we get it. you work in big law and work a lot of hours. no need to keep alluding to it in every other thread.
I don't think I have ever, ever complained about my hours on here. The hours are not what makes it suck. I don't know how many times I have to say that, but that's not the thing that makes it suck.
so what makes it suck that is not common to every other white collar high pressure job? Genuinely curious as I have friends in every comparable industry who work similar hours for much less pay (except for a few IB friends, fuck them) and they all hate work too. Its work. My doctor friends seem to like it finally but they hated it during residency and med school, probably much more so than law students.

The only people I can think of who are loving it are my friends who either fell into a big family business or one person I know who is crushing with a start up.
Yes, every non-KJD knows work sucks. Firm life sucks in a special, soul-sucking way that you will understand soon enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:26 pm

DELG wrote:
Pikappraider wrote:
DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, every non-KJD knows work sucks. Firm life sucks in a special, soul-sucking way that you will understand soon enough.
Your evasive answer is unconvincing.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:28 pm

I have had people tell me working for Google sucks... like big time I want out. Maybe being an adult sucks in general.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:30 pm

DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll throw my hat in the ring to complain about my hours.

Actually it's the hours and unpredictability of those hours that I like least about biglaw.

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Post by Man from Nantucket » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:30 pm

DELG wrote:
Pikappraider wrote:
DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Once again, what makes law firm life any more soul sucking than any other high paying white collar job? What makes law so much worse than investment banking, surgery specialties, consulting, etc. to warrant the non-stop complaining on this forum?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:35 pm

DELG wrote:
Pikappraider wrote:
DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I make 3 times what I made before LS. I would strangle a baby to get it back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:39 pm

FKASunny wrote:
Your evasive answer is unconvincing.
I work for a rotating cast of sociopaths. The fun part is, each one is sociopathic in their own, highly cultivated, sociopathic way. Taglines include "no, what, exactly, were you thinking when you made this mistake? No, I just want to know, what was going through your head. Help me understand." And a smug favorite, "I have had every vacation ruined for the past 7 years." Or the always fun response to mission-critical clarifying questions, "you will need to figure it out yourself, it's how you learn." Other tactics that keep your creative juices flowing, ignoring all drafts for weeks, then issuing 20 emails in 3 minutes, each in ALL CAPS AND ASSORTED COLORS, with questions that need to be answered RIGHT NOW BECAUSE THIS IS FILING.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Man from Nantucket wrote: Once again, what makes law firm life any more soul sucking than any other high paying white collar job? What makes law so much worse than investment banking, surgery specialties, consulting, etc. to warrant the non-stop complaining on this forum?
Investment banking? I'm not sure Big Law is worse. In fact I'm pretty sure Big Law is way better. IBers drop faster than BL associates.

Surgery is pretty bad too. But they have job security, tons of respect and make a great living.

Consultants have better hours, usually don't work weekends, and have great exit options.

Ibankers and Surgeons relentlessly bitch about their jobs. So your question isn't accurate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Man from Nantucket wrote: Once again, what makes law firm life any more soul sucking than any other high paying white collar job? What makes law so much worse than investment banking, surgery specialties, consulting, etc. to warrant the non-stop complaining on this forum?
Investment banking? I'm not sure Big Law is worse. In fact I'm pretty sure Big Law is way better. IBers drop faster than BL associates.

Surgery is pretty bad too. But they have job security, tons of respect and make a great living.

Consultants have better hours, usually don't work weekends, and have great exit options.

Ibankers and Surgeons relentlessly bitch about their jobs. So your question isn't accurate.
What?! I am sure there aren't multiple forums dedicated to IB bros whining about how hard they have it

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:11 pm

DELG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

What?! I am sure there aren't multiple forums dedicated to IB bros whining about how hard they have it
because they don't have time

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:13 pm

FKASunny wrote:
DELG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

because they don't have time
Sarcasm or retarded (LinkRemoved)

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Every night before I fall asleep I think about what I would do with my life if I were a trust fund baby. That's my dream.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:27 pm

seal wrote:I feel like something more than prestige sets those firms apart. They offer way more money and supposedly give junior associates way more responsibility. The average associate at those firms also bills something like 2600 hours though. But I don't work at one of those places, so I don't know what it's like.
2600 seems a bit low, actually. Sounds like the opposite of a dream firm situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:29 pm

I mean, fuck. I actually like law. Love it, even. Wouldn't want to do anything else. I applied to a firm recently with a much worse hours reputation, because they do what I want to be doing. But I didn't even pick this practice area. I just got fucking shoved in it, and they won't let me rotate out. And also, they're all sociopaths.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:08 pm

DELG wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:
First Offense wrote:Would anyone doing lit in DC not choose W&C if they had the option? DF nailed it.
I want to do lit in DC but declined my CB at W&C because I am fond of the idea of seeing my family and the sun at the same time.
enjoy never seeing the sun from inside a shittier firm
Yeah, W&C isn't nearly as much of a slam dunk as people on here think. W&C doesn't pay bonuses to associates. Like they proudly don't do it as if bonuses should insult associates. Based on the information I could find when I was making my decision, lockstep + Cravath bonuses quickly catches and overtakes their pay. And the hours are noticeably worse than general BigLaw firms in D.C. -- and if you don't believe people like me who've done the legwork and spoken to dozens of WC associates, just look at their leverage ratio. Someone is doing a lot more work than their peers and I'm pretty sure it isn't the partners. So yeah, while W&C is a great firm and all, you're working more for less money. If you're picking them over Quinn, Kirkland, or Boies (all above market) or any of the big name boutiques in D.C. for general litigation, I can only imagine it's because you think there's a more realistic shot at partner at W&C and that's your endgame.

vball1

New

Post by vball1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Compare W&C Profits Per Partner to Quinn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... er_partner

Compare Revenue Per Lawyer to the firms you just listed. Lower Leverage =! working more. Maybe partners at W&C are satisfied with 1.2 mil.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/3191 ... worldwide/

RPL at W&C leads me to believe they may be billing less hours than the firms you have mentioned.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:44 pm

Statista can't even spell Wachtell right, so can we really rely on them?

vball1

New

Post by vball1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Do you have access to another RPL list? It will like demonstrate the same point.

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:47 pm

vball1 wrote:Do you have access to another RPL list? It will like demonstrate the same point.
I was joking, but yes, AmLaw has the same data.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:48 pm

vball1 wrote:Compare W&C Profits Per Partner to Quinn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... er_partner

Compare Revenue Per Lawyer to the firms you just listed.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/3191 ... worldwide/

RPL at W&C leads me to believe they may be billing less hours than the firms you have mentioned.
From the people I spoke to, they Bill more than the average DC biglaw firm, but not tremendously so, and significantly less than Quinn/Boies/Kirkland on average (although bad years can leave you with ~2500 if you get some big trials. From my speaking to a lot of associates,2200 is probably close to the mean hours.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”