S&C v Simpson v Davis Polk Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Best choice?

S&C
19%
DPW
47%
STB
34%

Total votes: 53

Anonymous User

S&C v Simpson v Davis Polk

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Corporate/NYC

I worked at a bank previously, so I like the idea of doing FIG work/going somewhere with strong banking ties (S&C/DPW). Though I think I liked the people at Simpson the best, and wouldn't hate my life if I focused more on private equity work (assuming I just followed their strong suit). I'm actually not really sure what PE entails, though maybe PE guys are better to work with than bankers anyway.

Overall I think S&C looks best on paper for me (generalist program, ties to my former employer) while Simpson felt marginally better in person (but no strong FIG work). DPW I think could be a nice compromise between the two (FIG work and pretty nice people).

And while I'm planning to just do my 5 years and go in-house, I'd like to avoid an absolutely dreadful experience (so people matter).

Any thoughts?

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Re: S&C v Simpson v Davis Polk

Post by SLS_AMG » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:14 pm

You're choosing between 3 of the 4 most prestigious firms in New York (Wachtell aside). You can't go wrong. Do second visits and follow your gut, considering rotations v. generalist approach, location, and where you like the people the best. S&C does seem to be among the absolute worst in associate satisfaction based on many, many anecdotes aggregated over the years -- if that means anything to you.

Again, you can't make a wrong choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Go to Simpson. It's probably out-voted b/c of its vault ranking, which is pretty stupid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:34 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:You're choosing between 3 of the 4 most prestigious firms in New York (Wachtell aside). You can't go wrong. Do second visits and follow your gut, considering rotations v. generalist approach, location, and where you like the people the best. S&C does seem to be among the absolute worst in associate satisfaction based on many, many anecdotes aggregated over the years -- if that means anything to you.

Yes, the OP should definitely choose his firm based on amorphous reputation among 2Ls and stay away from the firm with the preeminent practice in his area of interest.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:You're choosing between 3 of the 4 most prestigious firms in New York (Wachtell aside). You can't go wrong. Do second visits and follow your gut, considering rotations v. generalist approach, location, and where you like the people the best. S&C does seem to be among the absolute worst in associate satisfaction based on many, many anecdotes aggregated over the years -- if that means anything to you.

Yes, the OP should definitely choose his firm based on amorphous reputation among 2Ls and stay away from the firm with the preeminent practice in his area of interest.
Two of these firms are among the best at FIG work, moron. And OP obviously isn't opposed to doing PE at Simpson, as he said in the OP.

How about you stop abusing the anon feature the next time you decide to be a sassy little bitch?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:05 pm

Making the exact same choice right now, but with more openness to lit. I'm leaning Davis Polk for the best balance of people/work. All are great though.

Re: convo above, The S&C associate satisfaction surveys are not the impressions of "2Ls on TLS". They reflect a markedly different reaction to quality of life at the firm than these alternatives. Still, those surveys should be taken with healthy grain of salt IMO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Making the exact same choice right now, but with more openness to lit. I'm leaning Davis Polk for the best balance of people/work. All are great though.

Re: convo above, The S&C associate satisfaction surveys are not the impressions of "2Ls on TLS". They reflect a markedly different reaction to quality of life at the firm than these alternatives. Still, those surveys should be taken with healthy grain of salt IMO.
OP here, I definitely agree. What people at S&C stress is the quality of work and the level of responsibility, whereas DPW and STB were more quick to talk about the people. Not sure how relevant that is, but it stood out in my mind. That's why I'm thinking DPW might be a good/safe choice. Unfortunately I did second looks with all of them and none of them really pulled ahead from the rest of the pack. =/

Also, lawls at the interwebs assuming this OP is a guy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:27 am

S&C so you don't have to work in midtown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”