Weil reputation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weil reputation

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Considering an offer from Weil, as well as from a couple V30 firms. Weil is a little odd in comparison to other V10 firms in their GPA data for my T14 school. Lower GPA medians than other peer firms. I'm trying to gauge the firm's overall reputation, name brand, and its future in the NYC biglaw scene.

Weil, traditionally, seems to be a renowned firm. In researching it's clear that their Bankruptcy practice is (was?) the bread and butter. Other practice groups (PEMA, for example) seem to be among the best.

Obviously the biggest issue is the recent batch of layoffs in 2013.

Generally, then, I'm wondering if there is a consensus in what is expected from Weil in years to come. Do people find it to be a healthy firm, poised to maintain (if not improve upon) it's current lower V10 rank? Yes I know Vault rankings are largely bullshit, so perhaps rephrase my inquiry to whether Weil is geared to remain among the best firms in NYC? Id imagine there are general thoughts in the NYC legal world about certain firms being rock solid, falling, treading water, etc.?

Anonymous User

Re: Weil reputation

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:55 pm

No one at any of the other V10s considers Weil a peer firm in NYC corporate, FWIW. They have a stellar bankruptcy practice... and then just sort of average practices in the rest of corporate. (They are not Band 1 on Chambers nationwide in any practice area other than Bankruptcy, while each of Cleary, STB, DPW, S&C, Skadden, etc. has at least six Band 1 rankings nationwide.) Good comparisons would be Fried Frank and Schulte, which each have a stand-out practice (real estate, hedge funds) but are otherwise mediocre. Why Weil does so well in the Vault rankings is somewhat mysterious, and firms like Kirkland, Paul Weiss, Latham, Debevoise and Gibson Dunn that sit below Weil in the Vault rankings are all usually considered stronger firms.

mw115

New

Post by mw115 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:16 am

Perhaps others don't, but they should.

Weil has a great M&A practice, are usually in the top 5 or 6 firms every year and this year has been pretty incredible - they handled the Kinder Morgan consolidation, the What's App purchase, the DirecTV sale, and the ALSTOM sale. I don't think there's a firm this year with that record.

Also, my understanding was that Weil did the layoffs to shed "deadweight" and keep PPP at previous levels and less b/c of systemic issues in the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:31 am

mw115 wrote:Perhaps others don't, but they should.

Weil has a great M&A practice, are usually in the top 5 or 6 firms every year and this year has been pretty incredible - they handled the Kinder Morgan consolidation, the What's App purchase, the DirecTV sale, and the Alstom sale. I don't think there's a firm this year with that record.

Also, my understanding was that Weil did the layoffs to shed "deadweight" and keep PPP at previous levels and less b/c of systemic issues in the firm.
While I disagree that Weil is comparable to Fried Frank and Schulte (it's much stronger than both across its practice areas), it really is not considered a peer to any of the V10 in New York and I would agree that the other firms mentioned by the anon above are indeed considered stronger -- and probably rightfully so.

Weil did indeed do the WhatsApp acquisition -- from their SV office. I believe (at least based on the posts above) that we're talking about New York firms. The fact that Weil has one superstar rainmaker in SV doesn't really alter its NY reputation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Weil has a great M&A practice, are usually in the top 5 or 6 firms every year and this year has been pretty incredible - they handled the Kinder Morgan consolidation, the What's App purchase, the DirecTV sale, and the Alstom sale. I don't think there's a firm this year with that record.

While I disagree that Weil is comparable to Fried Frank and Schulte (it's much stronger than both across its practice areas), it really is not considered a peer to any of the V10 in New York and I would agree that the other firms mentioned by the anon above are indeed considered stronger -- and probably rightfully so.

Weil did indeed do the WhatsApp acquisition -- from their SV office. I believe (at least based on the posts above) that we're talking about New York firms. The fact that Weil has one superstar rainmaker in SV doesn't really alter its NY reputation.
Considering that vault rankings are based on perceptions and reputation this is entirely false.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:46 am

Is it Weil's bankruptcy group that gives them such a strong reputation in the New York corporate world? I liked the people there, but always had the impression that it didn't quite measure up to S&C/Skadden/Cravath/STB/DPW etc. across the board. Although my interviewers were super laid-back and cool people, I ended up not choosing it because I am not really interested in bankruptcy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:No one at any of the other V10s considers Weil a peer firm in NYC corporate, FWIW. They have a stellar bankruptcy practice... and then just sort of average practices in the rest of corporate. (They are not Band 1 on Chambers nationwide in any practice area other than Bankruptcy, while each of Cleary, STB, DPW, S&C, Skadden, etc. has at least six Band 1 rankings nationwide.) Good comparisons would be Fried Frank and Schulte, which each have a stand-out practice (real estate, hedge funds) but are otherwise mediocre. Why Weil does so well in the Vault rankings is somewhat mysterious, and firms like Kirkland, Paul Weiss, Latham, Debevoise and Gibson Dunn that sit below Weil in the Vault rankings are all usually considered stronger firms.
Also, I think comparing Weil to Fried Frank and Schulte is a little absurd, isn't it? Thought it had stronger corporate groups than the other two in general.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Considering that vault rankings are based on perceptions and reputation this is entirely false.
Oh really?

http://www.vault.com/company-rankings/l ... ?sRankID=9

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:52 am

Weil's corp practices hired entry-level associates because they are so busy and could not wait until 2015.

Weil is a huge firm compared to Fried Frank and Schulte. It has over 1000 attorneys and over 20 offices. Which could be a good or bad thing. I know Fried Frank was not an angel during the recession and fired a lot of people and do fire a lot of people still.

Its more about the partners that you work for than the firm in my opinion especially when you are a junior associate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:39 am

More so than most V-10s, weil gets a lot of hate on TLS for some unknown reason. OP I would say yes a lot of their strength comes from the BK practice, which considering it's a counter cyclical practice is slowing down a little now that the economy is a little better of. But to say a firm of that magnitude doesn't have other quality practices (I would consider several of their Band 2 practices "quality") is just a little crazy, and, wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:00 am

I've heard Weil has a terrible firm culture. Lots of screamers, rude, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard Weil has a terrible firm culture. Lots of screamers, rude, etc.
This couldn't be more incorrect.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote: Generally, then, I'm wondering if there is a consensus in what is expected from Weil in years to come. Do people find it to be a healthy firm, poised to maintain (if not improve upon) it's current lower V10 rank? Yes I know Vault rankings are largely bullshit, so perhaps rephrase my inquiry to whether Weil is geared to remain among the best firms in NYC? Id imagine there are general thoughts in the NYC legal world about certain firms being rock solid, falling, treading water, etc.?
Luckily, my crystal ball is fresh back from the cleaners.

In the years to come, Weil will remain a large law firm. You will either accept an offer at Weil, or for some large, market-paying firm that is, in every meaningful sense, completely fungible for Weil. You'll summer there, and come back to TLS to explain how strong Weil (or the other firm) is, financially and in terms of reputation. You'll start at the firm, and within about 6-12 months, you'll realize that all of these questions were completely meaningless to you as an employee and future alumni of the firm (which, at that point, is a status you want to attain sooner rather than later).

Best of luck in making your choice. You truly cannot go wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh really?

It was said that Weil isn't a peer to any other V10s in New York. Weil is ranked 10th here and ahead of other V10s.

So, thanks for proving my point?

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:57 am

DELG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Generally, then, I'm wondering if there is a consensus in what is expected from Weil in years to come. Do people find it to be a healthy firm, poised to maintain (if not improve upon) it's current lower V10 rank? Yes I know Vault rankings are largely bullshit, so perhaps rephrase my inquiry to whether Weil is geared to remain among the best firms in NYC? Id imagine there are general thoughts in the NYC legal world about certain firms being rock solid, falling, treading water, etc.?
Luckily, my crystal ball is fresh back from the cleaners.

In the years to come, Weil will remain a large law firm. You will either accept an offer at Weil, or for some large, market-paying firm that is, in every meaningful sense, completely fungible for Weil. You'll summer there, and come back to TLS to explain how strong Weil (or the other firm) is, financially and in terms of reputation. You'll start at the firm, and within about 6-12 months, you'll realize that all of these questions were completely meaningless to you as an employee and future alumni of the firm (which, at that point, is a status you want to attain sooner rather than later).

Best of luck in making your choice. You truly cannot go wrong.
This is absolutely the truth. It's really hard to put it to words, but I would like to promise every 2L and 3L that as soon as you start working you will care about relative reputations 0%. You will care about your hours, the assholes you work for, the type of work you're receiving, how the hell you're going to get out (or when you'll be asked to leave), etc--but where your firm continues to subjectively rank against MoFo? Doesn't matter at all. As DELG said, the only thing we can guarantee about Weil in the years to come is that it will be a law firm and you probably won't work there for longer than three years. How it will continue to fair against Debevoise? You'll see sometime later on that that question falls in the complete who gives a shit territory.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It was said that Weil isn't a peer to any other V10s in New York. Weil is ranked 10th here and ahead of other V10s.

New York "V10s" are different than national "V10s." So how does Weil being #10 prove that it is a peer of 1–9 (which was the other poster's point -- though not sure why he included GDC and Kirkland since they aren't NY firms).

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

lmao love to see how Weil is ranked 10th and yet ahead of other V10s. Please show your work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lmao love to see how Weil is ranked 10th and yet ahead of other V10s. Please show your work.
He's referring to the NYC rankings specifically, relative to V100.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:43 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Vault 100 - Weil #8, Kirkland #9, Latham #10

New York - Weil #10, Kirkland #13, Latham #14

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think you missed the point above where V10 in New York is different from V10 nationally. Kirkland is a Chicago firm; Latham started in LA. Debevoise and Paul Weiss, though not V10 firms nationally, are considered among the top 10 firms in New York.

Look, Weil is a great firm. No question about it. But firms like Weil, Latham, Skadden, et. al. tend to be overrated on Vault nationally because they have so many damn offices. Weil has 10 offices in the U.S. Debevoise has 2 and Paul Weiss has 3. Obviously random associates in Illinois, California, and Florida are going to know more about Weil since it has offices there than they are going to know about Debevoise or Paul Weiss. Same goes for Skadden and Latham.

Weil was #6 on Vault not long ago -- above Simpson and Cleary. Simpson has 6 Band 1 rankings; Cleary has 7. Weil has 1. Can you really say with a straight face that it's comparable to those firms? Hell, Debevoise and Paul Weiss have 4 and 3, respectively.

Come on, dude.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Seems like Bankruptcy is starting to take a back seat at Weil, and they are heavily hiring into other corporate groups (Cap markets, banking and finance, M&A, PEMA). They did a ton of major M&A work this year and their main M&A rainmaker is a NYC guy, not a SV guy like stated above (i.e. Michael Aiello).

They seem to be strongly positioned in Corporate moving forward over the few years, with M&A and PEMA leading the way. Not sure about chambers rankings, but with partners moving around so much nowadays, I would look at those with a grain of salt since you never know when one of the big name partners at other V10s will be poached or leave.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think you missed the point above where V10 in New York is different from V10 nationally. Kirkland is a Chicago firm; Latham started in LA. Debevoise and Paul Weiss, though not V10 firms nationally, are considered among the top 10 firms in New York.

Look, Weil is a great firm. No question about it. But firms like Weil, Latham, Skadden, et. al. tend to be overrated on Vault nationally because they have so many damn offices. Weil has 10 offices in the U.S. Debevoise has 2 and Paul Weiss has 3. Obviously random associates in Illinois, California, and Florida are going to know more about Weil since it has offices there than they are going to know about Debevoise or Paul Weiss. Same goes for Skadden and Latham.

Weil was #6 on Vault not long ago -- above Simpson and Cleary. Simpson has 6 Band 1 rankings; Cleary has 7. Weil has 1. Can you really say with a straight face that it's comparable to those firms? Hell, Debevoise and Paul Weiss have 4 and 3, respectively.

Come on, dude.
Weil has 9 offices and does not have one in Illinois.

In any case, no one was saying that Weil is better than the others, but it is considered a peer of those firms. Weil is chambers band 2 for elite M&A fwiw.

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

New York "V10s" are different than national "V10s." So how does Weil being #10 prove that it is a peer of 1–9 (which was the other poster's point -- though not sure why he included GDC and Kirkland since they aren't NY firms).
Stop being retarded prestige whores. You're all betas regardless of where you work.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Come on, dude.
Most of those Band 1 rankings for Debevoise and PW are in litigation-type practices. I think the comparison here is mostly about corporate. I'm not sure anyone really thinks Debevoise and PW corporate practices are top-tier and competitive with the S&C/CSM/etc. group.(although PW's might be in the future).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:32 am

They were conflicts counsel. Wouldn't have gotten the deal in literally any other circumstance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”