Declining Call Back/Offer and Recruiter Asks "What Firm" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ajax

Bronze

Declining Call Back/Offer and Recruiter Asks "What Firm"

Post by ajax » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:44 pm

With a couple offers in hand, I'm declining additional call backs that were previously scheduled for the coming weeks. I send a nice thank you, and routinely get asked by recruiters what firm I'm going to instead. Some have stated it is for their "statistics."

Does anyone know whether this is standard protocol? Should I respond to these emails and state the firm?

Anonymous User

Re: Declining Call Back/Offer and Recruiter Asks "What Firm"

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Damn, great timing, just received that type of email from an employer I turned down and I was about to post the same question haha. However, I haven't accepted an offer yet, I'm just making the final decision over the firms I have narrowed it down to Any input on this scenario would be great as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:52 pm

It's standard protocol. I've just been telling them the name of the firm whose offer that I'm leaning towards accepting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 pm

How are you guys declining? Email to recruiting coordinator?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are you guys declining? Email to recruiting coordinator?
I've done mine by email to the attorneys who extended the offers (i.e., the person who called you). The firms that I am most seriously considering I will probably do by phone call to the attorneys who called to extend the offers, simply because I have developed nice relationships with the attorneys who did my screeners, and others who were available for more information throughout the process.

Either works, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:43 pm

It's just for statistics. If you haven't settled on one firm yet, you can let them know you're still deciding between other offers but will let them know where you accept. No one cares except recruiting's internal records-keeping about the competition.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:58 pm

I think the more specific info law firms have about where [x] grades at y school puts applicants, the worse off future classes of applicants are. Do I care that much about that? No, but I care less about the recruiting statistics at a bunch of firms I'm not going to work at.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 pm

In my experience, it's done solely so that firms can understand which firms they're losing recruits to, not for other GPA statistics or anything like that. We talk about this at the recruiting and hiring meetings at my firm every year. Basically, if you turn down a NY firm for a Chicago firm, for example, then the firm probably won't consider (for statistics/future recruiting purposes) that they lost you to a competitor, unless both firms had a big NY and Chicago presence and you did CBs at both offices. On the other hand, if you turn down STB for S&C in DC, or GDC for Williams & Connolly in DC, then the firm uses that for future recruiting efforts so that they know how to focus the discussion and selling points for top recruits next year. It's as simple as that -- nothing more sinister or complicated is going on, AFAIK.

sandiego222

Bronze

Post by sandiego222 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:In my experience, it's done solely so that firms can understand which firms they're losing recruits to, not for other GPA statistics or anything like that. We talk about this at the recruiting and hiring meetings at my firm every year. Basically, if you turn down a NY firm for a Chicago firm, for example, then the firm probably won't consider (for statistics/future recruiting purposes) that they lost you to a competitor, unless both firms had a big NY and Chicago presence and you did CBs at both offices. On the other hand, if you turn down STB for S&C in DC, or GDC for Williams & Connolly in DC, then the firm uses that for future recruiting efforts so that they know how to focus the discussion and selling points for top recruits next year. It's as simple as that -- nothing more sinister or complicated is going on, AFAIK.
Bizarre S&C DC reference

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:38 am

sandiego222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In my experience, it's done solely so that firms can understand which firms they're losing recruits to, not for other GPA statistics or anything like that. We talk about this at the recruiting and hiring meetings at my firm every year. Basically, if you turn down a NY firm for a Chicago firm, for example, then the firm probably won't consider (for statistics/future recruiting purposes) that they lost you to a competitor, unless both firms had a big NY and Chicago presence and you did CBs at both offices. On the other hand, if you turn down STB for S&C in DC, or GDC for Williams & Connolly in DC, then the firm uses that for future recruiting efforts so that they know how to focus the discussion and selling points for top recruits next year. It's as simple as that -- nothing more sinister or complicated is going on, AFAIK.
Bizarre S&C DC reference

Meant NY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”