Weil Gotshal Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weil Gotshal

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:56 am

Anyone care to tell me what they know/think about Weil?

The layoffs last year seem a little scary, but I gather that they didn't touch the NY office, and it makes it less likely they would do something like that again soon. I've also read that it's because they didn't have to layoff as many during the recession because they had all the bankruptcy work, and are only now finally "correcting."

Also, as Lehman comes to an end and bankruptcy seems to really slow down, do you think going into their bankruptcy practice would still be a good idea? For one, they are the leaders in the area, but OTOH I don't want to go into a practice that is going to be slow and only getting slower.

Can anyone comment on the culture, hours, etc?

Anonymous User

Re: Weil Gotshal

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone care to tell me what they know/think about Weil?

The layoffs last year seem a little scary, but I gather that they didn't touch the NY office, and it makes it less likely they would do something like that again soon. I've also read that it's because they didn't have to layoff as many during the recession because they had all the bankruptcy work, and are only now finally "correcting."

Also, as Lehman comes to an end and bankruptcy seems to really slow down, do you think going into their bankruptcy practice would still be a good idea? For one, they are the leaders in the area, but OTOH I don't want to go into a practice that is going to be slow and only getting slower.

Can anyone comment on the culture, hours, etc?
Bankruptcy practices are cyclical. From what I have heard their corporate practices are doing quite well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:52 am

Also interested in hearing opinions. Choosing between Weil and Kirkland NYC

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also interested in hearing opinions. Choosing between Weil and Kirkland NYC
I'm assuming your looking at bankruptcy for both?

-OP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also interested in hearing opinions. Choosing between Weil and Kirkland NYC
OP - Weil is a great choice if you want to do bankruptcy work. Hours are rough but that's expected in bankruptcy because of the timeline. Without a firm to compare it to, Weil remains one of the best and you'll be on all of the big cases.

Quoted - Kirkland has clearly taken over as #1 and they are swamped with work right now (and it isn't a good market for bankruptcies with debt being so cheap). With no culture preferences, assignment system preferences, etc - Kirkland is an easy choice. To be honest, though, most every big player is involved in some way on the megacases - other firms just don't have enough bodies to throw at it. The difference is that Kirkland dominates the middle-market scene - which is great for firm health as well as substantive experience early on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm assuming your looking at bankruptcy for both?

-OP
PEMA actually

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”