Skadden (NY) v. Clifford Chance (NY) for exit to UK Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How to get to the UK

Skadden
58%
Clifford Chance
42%

Total votes: 26

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden (NY) v. Clifford Chance (NY) for exit to UK

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:41 pm

OP here. Thanks for all of your thoughts. I knew about the COLA but that's not really my motivation to work in the UK, which is more personal and beyond "I studied abroad there and loved it!" schtick.

I just want to clarify something because we are dealing with NY offices as well as reputation abroad. It seems fair to say that CC has a much better rep in London, but would working at CC NY facilitate either transferring to the CC London office/some other London position over working at Skadden NY? If transferring is not an option, would the CC name still carry more weight despite not being as strong as the Skadden NY office?

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:44 pm

zweitbester wrote:morgan, you're a fucking psycho. thats just blatantly wrong.
You do the math yet fucking psycho? Admit you're wrong yet? Just checking.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
Dwell on this much? No doubt that you're an idiot. Other posts in this forum prove it, unless you're a massive troll, in which case much respect is owed. Do I admit I'm wrong? No. Do I admit I don't know enough anymore to argue the point? Yes. That's why I didn't bother to respond.

dogfan14

New

Post by dogfan14 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for all of your thoughts. I knew about the COLA but that's not really my motivation to work in the UK, which is more personal and beyond "I studied abroad there and loved it!" schtick.

I just want to clarify something because we are dealing with NY offices as well as reputation abroad. It seems fair to say that CC has a much better rep in London, but would working at CC NY facilitate either transferring to the CC London office/some other London position over working at Skadden NY? If transferring is not an option, would the CC name still carry more weight despite not being as strong as the Skadden NY office?
I think you'd have to ask someone at CC NY about the options to transfer to CC London, but having the chance to split offices should at least clearly demonstrate your interest in possibly working in London. That said, if the London office doesn't have space for you/need, then you would be working in CC NY. And no, CC NY doesn't have the same clout stateside as Skadden NY in New York (or arguably anywhere in the U.S.). Also, as another poster asked: are you not able to split between Skadden NY and London?

Ultimately if your concern is long-term career reputation, you'll need to confirm (1) what you want to practice--if London, then pretty much capital markets (though London's Skadden office has more M&A type work)--and (2) you'd want to check out Skadden NY versus CC NY on capital markets and securities for reputation.

If you never make it to London (which is possible, again, it all depends for both firms whether they have space/need for your capital market skills at a minimum), then you'll want to see how transferable your capital markets experience is at either NY office to determine reputation strength.

So in short: Skadden's general reputation is stronger stateside, but if your goal is London, compare the two firms' NY offices for capital markets to see which will see you through best.

HTH

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:44 pm

zweitbester wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:
Dwell on this much? No doubt that you're an idiot. Other posts in this forum prove it, unless you're a massive troll, in which case much respect is owed. Do I admit I'm wrong? No. Do I admit I don't know enough anymore to argue the point? Yes. That's why I didn't bother to respond.

Just think it's funny you make accusations without knowing enough to argue the point then don't even backtrack. Typical beta bullshit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:51 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:

Just think it's funny you make accusations without knowing enough to argue the point then don't even backtrack. Typical beta bullshit.
Nah, I think the accusation that you're a dumbass stands well enough on its own. But yes, I'm the beta for dwelling on an internet argument from days ago. Awesome stuff dude. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:51 pm

@ dogfan14: Thank you for the thoughts, I find this helpful. I think I've psyched up cap mkts enough in my own mind (realizing this likely will be what I do if I get to the UK) to get myself to like it despite having never done it or anything like it before. I'm pretty sure the Skadden capital markets practice is stronger than CC's, which is why I am also leaning towards Skadden.

@ zweit and morgan: guys stop hijacking the thread. Your comments stopped being useful a while ago, and this grudge shit is stupid. If you have nothing useful to add, you can PM each other and be annoying all you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”