How to use paralegals? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to use paralegals?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:11 am

I work in what you would call a midlaw firm, in the smallest of the firm's few offices. The office has approximately ~25 attorneys and five paralegals. Every attorney also has a secretary, with each secretary responsible for a maximum of 3-4 attorneys.

So my question is this: What can I approach the paralegal for, and how often? Is it just a "I'm in a pinch, will you please cite check this?" relationship, or is it acceptable to ask for cite checks on all my work?

Obviously practices vary by firm and office, but any thoughts are welcome. I don't want to be impolite or too demanding.

TTRansfer

Gold

Re: How to use paralegals?

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I work in what you would call a midlaw firm, in the smallest of the firm's few offices. The office has approximately ~25 attorneys and five paralegals. Every attorney also has a secretary, with each secretary responsible for a maximum of 3-4 attorneys.

So my question is this: What can I approach the paralegal for, and how often? Is it just a "I'm in a pinch, will you please cite check this?" relationship, or is it acceptable to ask for cite checks on all my work?

Obviously practices vary by firm and office, but any thoughts are welcome. I don't want to be impolite or too demanding.
Why don't you just ask the partner who she normally works for?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Re: How to use paralegals?

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:23 am

you basically answered your own question; it's different at every firm. I worked as a para before school and have a bunch of former paralegal friends, and I don't think any of us had the same exact job description. As a general rule, just be polite when you give assignments, and give concrete deadlines and expectations. Remember that your paralegal isn't an attorney and isn't going to know everything that you know, and will fuck things up. Conversely, if you're brand new, they probably will have institutional knowledge that you don't, and might be a good resource for questions you don't want to bother a more senior associate or partner with. IMO cite checking is one of the more interesting assignments that I might be given, and wouldn't be an issue, but again, can't stress enough that it's different everywhere.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”