Trick question to test for ties Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Trick question to test for ties

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:58 am

For many of my screeners where I had no ties, the interviewer would tell me early on "by the way, we are also hiring for X office. Would you be interested?" ("X" being my school's market)

It's funny because I've only gotten this question for interviews that I've had no ties with. In fact, one time after the interview I checked their "X" office on NALP and saw that they had no summer program in that office... which made me wonder why they always asked this
Wondering if this is a test used to see if the applicant is committed to practicing in a particular state rather than just trying to get what they can...

Genthree

New

Re: Trick question to test for ties

Post by Genthree » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:For many of my screeners where I had no ties, the interviewer would tell me early on "by the way, we are also hiring for X office. Would you be interested?" ("X" being my school's market)

It's funny because I've only gotten this question for interviews that I've had no ties with. In fact, one time after the interview I checked their "X" office on NALP and saw that they had no summer program in that office... which made me wonder why they always asked this
Wondering if this is a test used to see if the applicant is committed to practicing in a particular state rather than just trying to get what they can...
I think it definitely is. Along the same lines, I've had several litigation boutiques ask me if I had decided whether I wanted to do litigation vs transactional work.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:08 am

I've seen partners do this to unsuspecting law students when I go on interview trips. It's sad/beautiful to witness live.

Saw one student wind up in a lengthy conversation with a partner about his passion for [practice area we don't have] in [city we basically have no presence in].

Ding!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:22 am

The other trick question I've seen a lot of is partners or associates trying to get into conversations with me about how great another firm is. Every single interview/reception/lunch in which I took the bait eventually resulted in a ding. It seems to be a particularly popular tactic among NYC firms, and for some reason they all use Cravath as the bait.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:49 am

This topic is a pathetic example of 1L ignorance and lawyer stupidity.

"Ties" are ridiculously overrated. I have heard from multiple partners that if you are interviewing with them, they assume you want to work for them. What exactly is the consequence of hiring someone who isn't really interested in working there? That they might work somewhere else? That they are only interested in your firm as a safety? How is that different from a thousand other reasons you might choose another place to work? There is no 3L OCI to worry about these days, so if firms can get their hands on a desirable candidate because they're his/her second choice, they should be happy to do it.

The biggest problem might be that someone with no ties might leave as a second or third year to go back home. Granted, this difference might be meaningful, though minor - if the firm is healthy and the associate is happy, they would be less likely to go back home anyway. But even the minor difference does not justify devious questions that can lead to "wrong answers" for a hundred reasons that do not reflect on commitment. An interviewer who thinks he is reading between the lines is too clever by half and is probably overstating the "meaningful work" young associates at his firm are assigned. He should try to find opportunities to do more depositions so he can get his rocks off that way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:52 am

delusional wrote:This topic is a pathetic example of 1L ignorance and lawyer stupidity.

"Ties" are ridiculously overrated. I have heard from multiple partners that if you are interviewing with them, they assume you want to work for them. What exactly is the consequence of hiring someone who isn't really interested in working there? That they might work somewhere else? That they are only interested in your firm as a safety? How is that different from a thousand other reasons you might choose another place to work? There is no 3L OCI to worry about these days, so if firms can get their hands on a desirable candidate because they're his/her second choice, they should be happy to do it.

The biggest problem might be that someone with no ties might leave as a second or third year to go back home. Granted, this difference might be meaningful, though minor - if the firm is healthy and the associate is happy, they would be less likely to go back home anyway. But even the minor difference does not justify devious questions that can lead to "wrong answers" for a hundred reasons that do not reflect on commitment. An interviewer who thinks he is reading between the lines is too clever by half and is probably overstating the "meaningful work" young associates at his firm are assigned. He should try to find opportunities to do more depositions so he can get his rocks off that way.
I'll tell this to the partners I work for who think ties are important and have expressed a reluctance to extend offers to people who don't seem totally committed to the market my firm is in, particularly given that our yield is often impacted by people accepting offers in other major markets.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:58 am

thesealocust wrote:
delusional wrote:This topic is a pathetic example of 1L ignorance and lawyer stupidity.

I'll tell this to the partners I work for who think ties are important and have expressed a reluctance to extend offers to people who don't seem totally committed to the market my firm is in, particularly given that our yield is often impacted by people accepting offers in other major markets.
My one hesitation for being so critical was that you are probably the most reasonable and helpful poster on TLS on employment topics especially. I don't deny that some partners think it's a big deal. I think I explained why they are being foolish. If you disagree, I'm curious to know why.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:59 am

Your ties comment is limited to major markets and is completely off with regard to secondary markets. I have been targeting almost exclusively secondary markets and have been grilled extensively on my interests and ties to the area. I was also told flat out by the recruiter for my 1L position that they will not callback anyone who has not lived in the state.

Edit: I reread your comment and saw that it was not stating that ties don't matter, just that ties shouldn't matter. I agree 100%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 am

As someone who didn't have ties, overcame it, and now spend 5-10 hours a week trying to leave this market, I think it makes sense for firms to try to only hire people who really want to be there. Also, everyone I know who left their firm in the first 2 years (something like 10 people?) did so to move cities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:06 am

delusional wrote:My one hesitation for being so critical was that you are probably the most reasonable and helpful poster on TLS on employment topics especially. I don't deny that some partners think it's a big deal. I think I explained why they are being foolish. If you disagree, I'm curious to know why.
I mean, I guess it's mostly a question about how the world is vs. how the world should be. I'm inclined to agree that ties shouldn't be critical, because people are mobile and long-term flight risks will happen even if people never leave the market.

On how the world works, I've seen people without a hint of ties scoring jobs across major markets - but much less frequently than I've seen people struggle places where they don't have a strong connection. Being on the other side of the table, I've also seen how important ties are to people making decisions.

On some levels it's overt - like I said, I've heard partners monologue about how we need to find people who are focusing on [city I'm in] and try to see if they're also looking at [other city]. Yield matters a lot to them, and they hate making offers then losing people.

On other levels it's more subtle, but I think people are more likely to root for the "home town hero" and develop a rapport in an interview if the candidate's case for the firm (and the geography) work together in a coherent and compelling way.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 am

delusional wrote:My one hesitation for being so critical was that you are probably the most reasonable and helpful poster on TLS on employment topics especially. I don't deny that some partners think it's a big deal. I think I explained why they are being foolish. If you disagree, I'm curious to know why.
But no one has said ties should matter or firms are justified in feeling this way - just that they do.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:13 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
But no one has said ties should matter or firms are justified in feeling this way - just that they do.
That's true. I guess my point was two-fold. First, not all partners/interviewers/recruiters think it's a big deal. Also, those who do are putting too much emphasis on it.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:23 am

First, not all partners/interviewers/recruiters think it's a big deal.
Of course, not "all partners" agree on anything in the firm.
Also, those who do are putting too much emphasis on it.
Doesn't matter bcos for those partners/associates, who get a vote in the hiring process, its auto-ding. And that is all that matters in OCI and mass mail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:24 am

I think firms aren't ties-sensitive enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:58 pm

I got grilled on having no ties to NY at my last interview. That was unexpected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got grilled on having no ties to NY at my last interview. That was unexpected.
NY not caring about whether they think you will stay is the biggest flame on TLS.

I'm from Silicon Valley and everything on the resume screams Tech/IP/California, and every finance driven NY firm was skeptical both that I was interested in finance work and that I wanted to live in New York.

I fared tremendously better getting CBs in SV and SF than NY, despite them being significantly smaller and generally more selective markets

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got grilled on having no ties to NY at my last interview. That was unexpected.
NY not caring about whether they think you will stay is the biggest flame on TLS.

I'm from Silicon Valley and everything on the resume screams Tech/IP/California, and every finance driven NY firm was skeptical both that I was interested in finance work and that I wanted to live in New York.

I fared tremendously better getting CBs in SV and SF than NY, despite them being significantly smaller and generally more selective markets
Meh, anecdotes. You showed me yours I'll show you mine: The 2nd time I've been to NYC in my life was my first callback, my resume bled politics/DC, and I got offers in NYC then worked there.

"I want to do corporate law" was pretty much all I ever needed to say. People were interested for sure, but once I told them that, and gave familiar sounding names and ampersands when they asked where else I was interviewing, it wasn't an issue.

"You don't need ties for New York" overstates things a little. It's more like "New York is one of very few places where "I want to do the work that primarily exists in your city" is close to the only tie you need, and you can develop said tie about 5 minutes before an interview if necessary."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:20 pm

I thought ties really mattered. Went through OCI. I am from Boston, worked there, lived there whole life until law school. Got as many California callbacks as Boston callbacks and I had 2 or 3 more Boston screeners. Ties to California= I've been and I like it.

Whats the credited answer when a firm asks you if you're looking at other markets. Tell the truth?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Whats the credited answer when a firm asks you if you're looking at other markets. Tell the truth?
You don't have to tell the truth, but you can't lie :lol: ?

"Are you looking at any other cities?"

"HOLY CRAP LOOK OVER THERE!" (run away)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Whats the credited answer when a firm asks you if you're looking at other markets. Tell the truth?
You don't have to tell the truth, but you can't lie :lol: ?

"Are you looking at any other cities?"

"HOLY CRAP LOOK OVER THERE!" (run away)
That's been my strategy. X market is really my priority.... don't answer rest of question.

Is there a difference in emphasis on ties between the screener and callback stages.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The other trick question I've seen a lot of is partners or associates trying to get into conversations with me about how great another firm is. Every single interview/reception/lunch in which I took the bait eventually resulted in a ding. It seems to be a particularly popular tactic among NYC firms, and for some reason they all use Cravath as the bait.
Huh. I'm not a NYC guy, but I've never experienced anything like this. In fact, I think it's a little dangerous for an applicant to say negative things about another firm during an interview. I mean, it'll work okay if you've got the right type of interviewer, but I think it's hard for the interviewee to pull this off without seeming unlikable. Also, keep in mind that many of the awful things you've heard about other firms (e.g., "Quinn has terrible hours") might also be true of the firm you're interviewing at.

Back when I did OCI and had callbacks, I always said nice things about the other firms I was interviewing at. I got offers pretty much everywhere. Yeah, don't gush about some other firm ("My dream is to work at Cravath!"), but don't slam it either. I wouldn't go beyond expressing awareness of some differences between other firms and the firm you're interviewing at, along with a sincere explanation of why one of those differences appeals to you. To pick on the Cravath example some more, you could tell another firm that you think you would prefer a free-market system (or whatever that firm uses) to Cravath's rotation system.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”