Simpson Thacher vs. Davis Polk Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Simpson Thacher vs. Davis Polk

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Not the above hater and haven't posted in this thread yet.

I work with someone who left DPW's M&A group as a second year. This person doesn't have very good things to say about it and sounds like it was def. a cultural deal. Obviously it's anecdotal, and I've never worked there, but there you go.

Also, why would you want to do public company M&A? Unless it's WLRK (who doesn't do their own diligence in house), this is a bad idea. M&A may sound cool theoretically, but it's shit in practice. As a 2L, try and take some classes in tax or ERISA. You'll thank me later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No. Arguably Wachtell is #1 if you consider pay. Other than that, no meaningful distinction for the "best" associate experience in the v10. Edit: and that's the same for cap markets and credit among the firms that actually have those practice groups.

The most meaningful distinction for associates will be where you fit in best, and that is completely subjective.
this is bullshit. Type of work a Wachtell junior does is leaps and bounds better than other V10s. Unlike most of this thread, this is actually an important thing for 2Ls to know (if they have a wachtell offer, that is...)

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No. Arguably Wachtell is #1 if you consider pay. Other than that, no meaningful distinction for the "best" associate experience in the v10. Edit: and that's the same for cap markets and credit among the firms that actually have those practice groups.

The most meaningful distinction for associates will be where you fit in best, and that is completely subjective.
this is bullshit. Type of work a Wachtell junior does is leaps and bounds better than other V10s. Unlike most of this thread, this is actually an important thing for 2Ls to know (if they have a wachtell offer, that is...)
i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that if wachtell was on the table for OP the decision would not come down to davis polk v STB right now, so I hardly see how this is "actually an important thing" in the context of this thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What you do for M&A at Wachtell, you do at Cravath, S&C, etc. You just do more of it at Wachtell.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What you do for M&A at Wachtell, you do at Cravath, S&C, etc. You just do more of it at Wachtell.
At wachtell you're running deals as a summer associate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:13 pm

zweitbester wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

At wachtell you're running deals as a summer associate.
I think you mean running mega deals during 2L right after you accept their SA offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also DPW has prettier offices by a long shot
And at DPW, shared offices are laid out such that one person is sitting directly behind the other, and has full view of the front person's computer screen. I don't know about you, but that sounds awful to me.
How long at STB until one gets their own office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
And at DPW, shared offices are laid out such that one person is sitting directly behind the other, and has full view of the front person's computer screen. I don't know about you, but that sounds awful to me.
One year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
One year.
What about at the other V10's? DPw, S&C?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's only even possibly true for M&A. Wachtell is not better than other V10s for capital markets or credit or whatever else; in fact, it's below many of them.

Also, this is just egregious anon abuse.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote: What about at the other V10's? DPw, S&C?
Not sure about Cravath, but S&C seems to give you offices after your first year, Davis Polk after second, STB after first, Skadden during first, and Cleary after first. Dunno about Paul Weiss and Debevoise.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 pm

Pretty sure it's longer than a year for getting your own office at DPW

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:52 pm

zweitbester wrote:Pretty sure it's longer than a year for getting your own office at DPW
It's generally after your second year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:24 am

What is the size of clerkship bonuses for STB and DPW?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the size of clerkship bonuses for STB and DPW?
My understanding is $50k standard

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”