Thank you notes after CBs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank you notes after CBs?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Would you recommend it?

Markets: NY and DC

Anonymous User

Re: Thank you notes after CBs?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:38 pm

pretty sure the answer to this question has been discussed extensively, search?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:44 pm

YES

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:46 pm

I was going to say no...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:47 pm

I wrote them for interviews I particularly liked or those I connected well with. I didn't for others. Just use your own judgment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:53 pm

No one knows. To me it feels like more work with little chance of returns and a slight chance of fucking shit up. I haven't sent any. 9 CBs so far, 3 offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:09 pm

I did them for each interviewer and the recruitment coordinator from the CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:11 pm

I didn't for my cb people. Sent one to my screener, after cb offer but before cb, because we really clicked well. Got an offer. ymmv.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14 pm

It takes one minute to write a quick email thank you note. So why wouldn't you? Copy and paste the bulk of the body paragraph, and then add an personalized sentence ("I especially enjoyed hearing about [whatever the hell you talked about for thirty minutes]"). Done. They'll at least see the subject and who it's from. Some may delete it instantly. Some may read it. But where's the harm in being polite?

Maybe you were going to get an offer no matter what. And that's great. Maybe, though, one of your interviewers was on the fence about you (or got you confused with all the other tyros she entertained for thirty minutes), and then she sees that thank you and suddenly remembers the wonderful conversation you two shared.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It takes one minute to write a quick email thank you note. So why wouldn't you? Copy and paste the bulk of the body paragraph, and then add an personalized sentence ("I especially enjoyed hearing about [whatever the hell you talked about for thirty minutes]"). Done. They'll at least see the subject and who it's from. Some may delete it instantly. Some may read it. But where's the harm in being polite?

Maybe you were going to get an offer no matter what. And that's great. Maybe, though, one of your interviewers was on the fence about you (or got you confused with all the other tyros she entertained for thirty minutes), and then she sees that thank you and suddenly remembers the wonderful conversation you two shared.
Because I've fucked up enough mass mailers with typos and I don't see the need to take the same risk at the post-CB stage when they probably don't matter anyway. But do whatever feels appropriate to you.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:55 pm

Now that I'm more familiar with the recruiting side, I see no point in sending a thank you note to the interviewers because in all likelihood, they will have submitted an evaluation long before you even get to log into your email. What you can do, though, is send the recruiting coordinator a general thank you email. That email will probably get put into your file, and will make it in before the recruiting committee meets (since they generally don't meet every day).

philly33

New

Post by philly33 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:22 am

There's no point to it. If you were in a smaller market that moved slower, it might make a tiny tiny difference, but still unlikely. If you want to send them, then you can. Don't feel obligated though.

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 am

Although we all obsess over offers and anything that give us a boost (and rightly so ITE), sending a thank you note is just common courtesy in the professional world. The firm has likely spent upwards of $1000+ on your recruitment. You've gotten a free lunch/dinner, travel, hotel, etc. Busy attorneys took time out of their day to interview you. Take a few minutes and express your appreciation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:08 pm

I've interviewed eight people and only gotten one thank you note... and it was very generic and probably would have counted against the person who sent it if I hadn't already submitted my review (which happened within an hour of when this candidate left our offices). I would not bother unless there was a very strong, specific connection and you send the note within a few hours of leaving the firm to actually catch the interviewer before their reviews are submitted. (Your timeframe may extend up to 12 hours or so for a hiring partner, since they'll continue to be involved in the decision-making process after submitting a review.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Sent a thank you letter to each interviewer and the recruitment coordinator, all personalized. Rejection within a few days.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Take 5 damn minutes and write a well proof read note. Personalize it.

Jeesus, its not that hard
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:23 pm

nsideirish wrote:Although we all obsess over offers and anything that give us a boost (and rightly so ITE), sending a thank you note is just common courtesy in the professional world. The firm has likely spent upwards of $1000+ on your recruitment. You've gotten a free lunch/dinner, travel, hotel, etc. Busy attorneys took time out of their day to interview you. Take a few minutes and express your appreciation.
It's not common courtesy in the professional world. If it was, there wouldn't be this endless debate over it. The firms are just doing their job. If lawyers didn't recruit, their firms would cease to exist. If you want to, thank them. But there is absolutely no reason to do it if you don't want to.

I've been on 7 callbacks so far in three different major markets and have sent no thank yous. I've gotten 6 offers with no dings. It won't make a difference.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:53 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:Take 5 damn minutes and write a well proof read note. Personalize it.

Maybe if you had exactly one interviewer at your only callback somehow. Multiply that by 50 if you have a decent number of callbacks. The more people you meet and the more callbacks you have, the easier it gets to mix people up or make one typo. Why add to your stress?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:06 pm

hoos89 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:Take 5 damn minutes and write a well proof read note. Personalize it.

Maybe if you had exactly one interviewer at your only callback somehow. Multiply that by 50 if you have a decent number of callbacks. The more people you meet and the more callbacks you have, the easier it gets to mix people up or make one typo. Why add to your stress?
I will admit, that I had a number of callbacks that made this reasonable. This is a fact that I'm not happy about, haha.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Briney Spring Gun

New

Post by Briney Spring Gun » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:45 pm

Not everything has to be viewed through the binary lens of "Will this get me the job, or will this not help me get the job." Sometimes, you should just write a damn thank you because it's what well-adjusted, properly-raised individuals do in the professional world, as an expression of gratitude directed at someone who took (valuable) time out of their day to consider whether or not you should be paid lots of money to become their colleague.

Write simple thank yous to every interviewer, with one personalized sentence. Send a thank you to the recruiting office for providing you with a great experience at the firm. The end.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Briney Spring Gun wrote:Not everything has to be viewed through the binary lens of "Will this get me the job, or will this not help me get the job." Sometimes, you should just write a damn thank you because it's what well-adjusted, properly-raised individuals do in the professional world, as an expression of gratitude directed at someone who took (valuable) time out of their day to consider whether or not you should be paid lots of money to become their colleague.

Write simple thank yous to every interviewer, with one personalized sentence. Send a thank you to the recruiting office for providing you with a great experience at the firm. The end.
:roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:59 pm

Briney Spring Gun wrote:Not everything has to be viewed through the binary lens of "Will this get me the job, or will this not help me get the job." Sometimes, you should just write a damn thank you because it's what well-adjusted, properly-raised individuals do in the professional world, as an expression of gratitude directed at someone who took (valuable) time out of their day to consider whether or not you should be paid lots of money to become their colleague.

Is there a reason me saying thank you to them in person doesn't suffice? It seems redundant to thank them again for the same thing.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:16 pm

How about dick pics to their email addresses?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Too bad the most important consideration when searching for a job is how what you will do will affect your chances at getting, you know, the job you interviewed for. Firms aren't doing something nice for applicants; they are trying to see whom they would like to hire. Lawyers take time out of their day to interview people not out of the goodness of their hearts, but to find people who might be best suited for making them money in the future (or because their firm told them to do it).

Also, this whole because "well-adjusted people" do it thing is total bullshit. Sending a thank you note because you think it's what well-adjusted people do does not make you well-adjusted. Don't act like you are writing thank you notes out of some genuine feeling of thankfulness. It sounds like you're just doing it because you feel like you're supposed to, or because it's expected (or because you won't be "well-adjusted" if you don't).

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've interviewed eight people and only gotten one thank you note... and it was very generic and probably would have counted against the person who sent it if I hadn't already submitted my review (which happened within an hour of when this candidate left our offices). I would not bother unless there was a very strong, specific connection and you send the note within a few hours of leaving the firm to actually catch the interviewer before their reviews are submitted. (Your timeframe may extend up to 12 hours or so for a hiring partner, since they'll continue to be involved in the decision-making process after submitting a review.)
Ehh. I feel like sending a thank you note that quick is kind of like texting a girl you just took on a date right after you get home from dropping her off... And I find it odd that you would resent someone for sending a thank you note when they were the only who did so. Sure, it came off as generic, but they were the only one who seemed to understand basic social graces out of the several people you interviewed.

poster is a 0L who has no business posting in this forum

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”