Interview frustration Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview frustration

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:33 am

I suppose this is just venting and feel free to delete this if it isn't appropriate for the forum. I just got off a first round/screener interview over the phone (some special circumstances meant I couldn't travel). I don't think it went well. The interview was described as being 1 hour long with a partner and HR. Mine was just with the partner and half an hour long. I've been through plenty of screeners and never gotten through to the callbacks/offers. I feel like this is the same, I didn't really feel a connection and maybe I was weak on convincing them on why I wanted to work in that market. I felt the interviewer was already letting me down by mentioning at the end "you know there are plenty of excellent candidates".

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've asked for feedback and tried to improve on it. I feel like I'm at the end of my tether. Going into the interview, I felt confident. In answering, I was enthusiastic and positive. I structured my answers. I went into detail about my experiences and interests. But I just didn't feel there was any opportunity to truly connect. The interviewer just said "good, excellent" to my answers. I don't know what more I can do.

I know - wait for the results etc etc But this interview, where I've really tried, has just felt like another one of those failed interviews. I'm emotionally exhausted and near tears.

txdude45

Silver

Re: Interview frustration

Post by txdude45 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been through plenty of screeners and never gotten through to the callbacks/offers.
You're asking a good question, but right now you need to start mass mailing your ass off. Like, yesterday. Definitely figure out what you're doing to turn people off, but the most important thing is getting in front of (many, many) more interviewers. I see where you're coming from, but evaluate your screener problems while you send out 100+ emails looking for work.

More to what you were looking for: Don't get discouraged. This happens a lot to be honest, just usually not on TLS due to the demo/self-selection. There is clearly a hitch in your giddyup somewhere and you need to see if you can do some practice interviews, even with other students you trust, so see if you can identify things you do or ways that you say things that are keeping you from progressing through the application process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:07 am

Thanks, man. I'm already trying to get other option lined up.

Okay, I'm not sure if anyone reading this cares to offer their observations, but if anyone can see something in this interview that I can't, this is what happened:

- I possibly spoke too fast i.e. not measured enough. It is something that I do - so maybe it sounded nervous? At the same time, I was trying to convey that I was excited about what I was talking about and not sound like I was talking in a monotone.
- Interviewer asked why I chose that location: I mentioned that while I had grown up and educated in this city, I was really interested in the bigger market and better opportunities (in more detail)
- Questions about specific legal experiences: I went into detail about the work that I did, how it was interesting to compare what I had learnt in law school to the actual experience of working about it
- Interviewer asked questions about what I thought makes a team work well, what I looked for in an ideal law firm: I described the qualities that I thought were important
- Interviewer asked about particular interests: I talked about why I found x hobby interesting
- Any particular areas of law: I said corporate/transactional - talked about enjoying the practical aspect, being able to act as legal adviser to businesses, involved in decisions that affect the direction of the company and potentially impacting upon the market/economy

Possible weaknesses that I can pick out are:
- Maybe answers are not clear/structured/sound nervous - but at the same time, I think I tried to be natural and genuine and not too rehearsed. Also, answers could be seen as long i.e. more than 3-4 sentences.
- Not personal enough: I didn't refer enough to personal experiences - but at the same time, the question didn't ask about personal interest. E.g. question about "what was your role in this organisation" - well I just recounted how I got involved and described my role. Should I have expanded more about my motivations and experiences re this particular role?
- Didn't show knowledge about firm: I did do research but there weren't really any questions that asked directly about why this firm. The closest was "what are the qualities in the firm you want to work for" and I talked generally without naming the firm, but the qualities I think do match up with what the firm does.
- Just not standing out?? I feel like I'm hitting a wall somewhere. Interviewer asks questions. I answer questions. How can I answer the questions in a way that makes the interviewer more interested in me?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:42 am

Do you think you may be coming off as rehearsed? Interviewers want to get to know you a bit. While a certain amount of fakery is necessary, if you sound like you're just rattling off rehearsed lines, they won't know anything about you and will be less comfortable putting you through. After all, whom they give callbacks reflects on them if said callback goes really badly.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 am

I get nervous when people say their answers are "structured". An interview is supposed to be a conversation, and probably the last thing it should be is "structured". You want back and forth - tangents aren't always bad (assuming they're relevant). They want to see you can think on your feet, that you can hold a conversation, and that you can be put in a room with a client and not make an ass of yourself.

The best advice I heard is "be the best you." Your personality should come through (as much as it can in a 20/30 minute interview). They don't want to walk out and say "that guy gave good answers to my questions," but rather "I liked that guy, he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders." That's my impression, anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:34 am

First Offense wrote:I get nervous when people say their answers are "structured". An interview is supposed to be a conversation, and probably the last thing it should be is "structured". You want back and forth - tangents aren't always bad (assuming they're relevant). They want to see you can think on your feet, that you can hold a conversation, and that you can be put in a room with a client and not make an ass of yourself.

The best advice I heard is "be the best you." Your personality should come through (as much as it can in a 20/30 minute interview). They don't want to walk out and say "that guy gave good answers to my questions," but rather "I liked that guy, he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders." That's my impression, anyway.
I agree. Don't be too mechanical. Easier said than done. But this isn't oral argument. It's a conversation. As long as you're in the ballpark, in terms of credentials, the best way to sell yourself is by being someone they'll want to work with.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:37 am

FWIW, I tend to speak quickly (just a thing I do), and I have definitely found that some people perceive that as me being nervous. I tend to think that sounding nervous comes across worse than being slightly monotone, but I also think that if you tend to speak too quickly you're not likely to sound monotone if you slow down.

(I doubt this is a huge problem, and tend to agree with the concerns about being too structured/rehearsed, but thought I'd mention it.)

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote: - Didn't show knowledge about firm: I did do research but there weren't really any questions that asked directly about why this firm. The closest was "what are the qualities in the firm you want to work for" and I talked generally without naming the firm, but the qualities I think do match up with what the firm does.
- Just not standing out?? I feel like I'm hitting a wall somewhere. Interviewer asks questions. I answer questions. How can I answer the questions in a way that makes the interviewer more interested in me?
I think this may be it. Try to transition your answers organically into a brief one-sentence conclusion of why you're a good match for the firm. i.e. at the end of a question about your past jobs, "It was a great experience working in a small environment and it makes me particularly interested in [Firm's] small New York office."

Another area where you can really score points is the questions you ask to the interviewer. The more knowledge you can show about the firm the better.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”