What firms would you take over Cravath? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Re: What firms would you take over Cravath?

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:26 pm

As a side note i don't know how this thread got taken over by SRZ but i think it does illustrate the general point [which should be noncontroversial] that vault rankings matter and you should go to the highest ranked vault firm you get offered from, unless you are set on a particular practice group where one firm clearly stands out, then go to that firm.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
Probably, it's just saying you're the best at your particular practice area/niche. Like saying your post is the Williams and Connelly of posts that are anonymous for no reason
So the similarity ends there, right? like SRZ is the W&C of hedge funds just like the miami heat are the W&C of basketball?
Depends on the time frame you're looking at; maybe be more like Celtics/Lakers are the W&C of basketball if you're talking about pedigree. That's the only similarity though really SRZ and W&C have nothing in common besides the fact that they are the best at a particular practice area.
which partner at SRZ would you say is the lebron james of hedge fund law?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:As a side note i don't know how this thread got taken over by SRZ but i think it does illustrate the general point [which should be noncontroversial] that vault rankings matter and you should go to the highest ranked vault firm you get offered from, unless you are set on a particular practice group where one firm clearly stands out, then go to that firm.
How was that what you got out of this?

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:31 pm

zweitbester wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
Probably, it's just saying you're the best at your particular practice area/niche. Like saying your post is the Williams and Connelly of posts that are anonymous for no reason
So the similarity ends there, right? like SRZ is the W&C of hedge funds just like the miami heat are the W&C of basketball?
Depends on the time frame you're looking at; maybe be more like Celtics/Lakers are the W&C of basketball if you're talking about pedigree. That's the only similarity though really SRZ and W&C have nothing in common besides the fact that they are the best at a particular practice area.
which partner at SRZ would you say is the lebron james of hedge fund law?
Dunno, say they would be more like the 96 Dream Team instead; solid top to bottom

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:32 pm

First Offense wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:As a side note i don't know how this thread got taken over by SRZ but i think it does illustrate the general point [which should be noncontroversial] that vault rankings matter and you should go to the highest ranked vault firm you get offered from, unless you are set on a particular practice group where one firm clearly stands out, then go to that firm.
How was that what you got out of this?
Culture/all of that is bullshit. Like look at this thread, most of what people have said about Cravath in this thread is complete garbage and just plain wrong and these are the things that people are "considering" when looking at their fit. Like that one dude who posted that 13 first years have quit already. That's just not true.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Dunno, say they would be more like the 96 Dream Team instead; solid top to bottom
o cool. i have a buddy who went to GW law. said it's the yale law school of IP law. youve really enlightened me that statement makes so much sense.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Is billing 1600x2 a reality at V10s? The fuck? 3200 hours/year billable?

Cadwalader, kind of known for shitty work-life balance has ~2k average per associates on NALP... Is the 3k bullshit or is the 2k bullshit?

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:40 pm

zweitbester wrote:
o cool. i have a buddy who went to GW law. said it's the yale law school of IP law. youve really enlightened me that statement makes so much sense.
bro you wouldnt take GW over yale for IP?????

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:43 pm

zweitbester wrote:
[youtube]FvNDQkcqkfU[/youtube]

THE MAN IN THE MIDDLE from teh land downunder 7'1" David Nissenbaum Image

AT FORWARD standing tall at 5"6' from Chambridge, MASSUTWOSHITS. STEPHANIE R. BRESLOW Image

From WASHINGTON DC at Guard STEVEN J FREDMANImage

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The SRZ troll is amazing.
Derailed the fuck out of this thread.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:53 pm

KidStuddi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The SRZ troll is amazing.
Derailed the fuck out of this thread.
FUCK how will anyone ever get validation about their choice to take Cravath over DPW

MODERATORS PLEASE

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:58 pm

sinfiery wrote:Is billing 1600x2 a reality at V10s? The fuck? 3200 hours/year billable?

Cadwalader, kind of known for shitty work-life balance has ~2k average per associates on NALP... Is the 3k bullshit or is the 2k bullshit?
dude, shut up. cadwalader is like the W&C of mortgage-backed securities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Not OP here - This really went from a promising thread that I was looking to for valuable information to completely useless quickly. Can you people drop the SRZ nonsense?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP here - This really went from a promising thread that I was looking to for valuable information to completely useless quickly. Can you people drop the SRZ nonsense?
As ridiculous as it is, the SRZ nonsense isn't really nonsense and think it is helpful in the overall discussion.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP here - This really went from a promising thread that I was looking to for valuable information to completely useless quickly. Can you people drop the SRZ nonsense?
Yeah, I need to know more about how prestigious Cravath is, not SRZ.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:07 pm

I think a lot of people bitching about the SRZ talk here are just DPW/STB associates who went to those V10 firms to do fund work and are tired of getting styled on everyday by SRZ associates.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:I think a lot of people bitching about the SRZ talk here are just DPW/STB associates who went to those V10 firms to do fund work and are tired of getting styled on everyday by SRZ associates.
Amazing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sideroxylon

Gold

Post by sideroxylon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm also amazed by the SRZ troll.

I also love Morgan's repeat of the "VAULT IS EVERYTHING" flame.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:31 pm

sideroxylon wrote:I'm also amazed by the SRZ troll.

Not flame. More than half of being a lawyer is reputation. saying applies to law firms as well.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Morgan12Oak doing some underrated as fuck trolling ITT

sideroxylon

Gold

Post by sideroxylon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:I'm also amazed by the SRZ troll.

Not flame. More than half of being a lawyer is reputation. saying applies to law firms as well.
i liked it more when you were trying to import xo shtick that hasn't stuck here yet—

could you try at that again?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Not flame. It's just funny that all y'all go to your undergrads and weigh rankings heavily, go to law schools based on rankings and all of a sudden when looking at law firms everyones like RANKINGS DON'T MATTER.

Like things are ranked for a reason. something that is ranked 1 is better than 2, etc. It's actually common sense that rankings go in order from 1 being the best and things get worse as the numbers get better. Like that's true... objectively.

Now going to the next point, where rankings become LESS important is where you are looking at a SPECIFIC area of law where the rankings are not indicative; i.e. as you are well aware because of the SRZ poster, hedge fund work at SRZ

sandiego222

Bronze

Post by sandiego222 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Not flame. It's just funny that all y'all go to your undergrads and weigh rankings heavily, go to law schools based on rankings and all of a sudden when looking at law firms everyones like RANKINGS DON'T MATTER.

Like things are ranked for a reason. something that is ranked 1 is better than 2, etc. It's actually common sense that rankings go in order from 1 being the best and things get worse as the numbers get better. Like that's true... objectively.

Now going to the next point, where rankings become LESS important is where you are looking at a SPECIFIC area of law where the rankings are not indicative; i.e. as you are well aware because of the SRZ poster, hedge fund work at SRZ
What do you expect though? People on here are used to being the best over the course of their entire life, and now that they have been in a highly competitive environment + had to actually interview for a job, maybe they didn't get a V2, V5, V10 or whatever offer. They need to justify this to themselves, and even though its a pointless debate with no clear conclusion, they want to convince others that they are in a better position.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 pm

How tall were your interviewers at Cravath and how did that influence your decision-making process? And when are firms going to start listing height on their attorney bios? I'd like to know just how prestigiously tall all of the partners are before making my final decision.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:54 pm

sinfiery wrote:Is billing 1600x2 a reality at V10s? The fuck? 3200 hours/year billable?

Pretty sure it's the 2k.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”